The Arbroath Thread

At the AGM (May 2016) it was answered to a direct question re Simon Murray that the club would get £30k (not the 50k banded about) plus add ons.

Clarification was sought then on what these were and one was raised as ‘ first may be reached if he plays 45 games for Utd’. Also there is a sell on clause and insinuation was that the club saw SMs departure as an income stream for some time to come. That has now been stopped, by SM moving to Hibs on a free. So what were the ‘add ons’? Is the club still going to get any of these.

What were they? £8k for instance would pay for Swankie. Is the 50k that gets banded about based on 30k plus 20k of potential add ons? If so, how many of them have come to fruition? This is perhaps were lessons can be learned in terms of what you take upfront in a transfer and what you gamble on in terms of the guy leaves on a free. Seems we banked 30k and gambled on 20k.

He played over 45 games so ticked that one off. Sell on clause is there so if he had gone for a big money move we would get a cut which is not uncommon but nothing anyone can do about a free transfer when you are 25. We did well out of a player who was only an Arbroath player for 6 months.

He played over 45 games so ticked that one off. Sell on clause is there so if he had gone for a big money move we would get a cut which is not uncommon but nothing anyone can do about a free transfer when you are 25. We did well out of a player who was only an Arbroath player for 6 months.

Spot on.

We done remarkably well. I imagine we would've got the full 50 if the only clause was the 45 appearances for United. A percentage would've been agreed as a sell on which obviously never came about because he left on a free.

To put it into context GMS just moved from Celtic to Aberdeen for £150k. United could've easily just signed him on a PCA and picked him up for free.

9 hours ago, scillybirder said:

At the AGM (May 2016) it was answered to a direct question re Simon Murray that the club would get £30k (not the 50k banded about) plus add ons.

Clarification was sought then on what these were and one was raised as ‘ first may be reached if he plays 45 games for Utd’. Also there is a sell on clause and insinuation was that the club saw SMs departure as an income stream for some time to come. That has now been stopped, by SM moving to Hibs on a free. So what were the ‘add ons’? Is the club still going to get any of these.

What were they? £8k for instance would pay for Swankie. Is the 50k that gets banded about based on 30k plus 20k of potential add ons? If so, how many of them have come to fruition? This is perhaps were lessons can be learned in terms of what you take upfront in a transfer and what you gamble on in terms of the guy leaves on a free. Seems we banked 30k and gambled on 20k.

Do you really think  Arbroath were in pole position in the negotiations? I  think Arbroath did well getting what they got in this day and age, £50k cash was probably never an option, Utd did ok by Arbroath a good deal all round I would have thought

Just a wee word of warning for all Arbroath fans going to the game tonight - Dunfermline have had to increase ticket prices by £2 across the board in order to afford the transfer fee for Andy Ryan. Hope that doesn't cause any issues. 

11 hours ago, Nipples said:

Just a wee word of warning for all Arbroath fans going to the game tonight - Dunfermline have had to increase ticket prices by £2 across the board in order to afford the transfer fee for Andy Ryan. Hope that doesn't cause any issues. 

I actually feel really bad for moaning about the £2, Airdrie should of really added about a £5 to each paying punter, need every penny to try save the the club before it dies, Would be a terrible shame that.....

We were entitled to compensation when Josh Falkingham went to Dunfermline. I can't remember the exact details but I think we got £800 and a packet of crisps. He was at us for a full 2 seasons.

Aye, the proper and full value came up in the Cva when we went into admin I'm sure.

Not a complaint against Arbroath or any club but I genuinely find it mental that clubs can go so long without a fee that they're duly owed while the player in question plays with the other team, I always thought transfer fees would be paid before the player could sign his terms.

Some pics from last night.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotsman_in_hawaii/albums/72157685192078203

I thought that was our best 45 minutes since the comeback against Elgin City when we were 2-0 down.  Playing our 2nd full time team in 3 days and playing an hour with 10 men I thought the intensity and performances were of the highest quality.  Doris was again a constant menace to a towering defence, and I thought Swankie played really well in midfield for the second half.  Blair Yule was immense all over the park but Thomas O'Brien was outstanding, and Prunty's passion is what all fans want to see in their players.

36437867962_ac75414487_k.jpg

36560342006_6d96778b5e_k.jpg

Prunty's passion and attitude is there for all to see, a great example to other players especially the younger ones.

On another subject i always rated Andy Ryan who Lumsden obviously did not, heard he wanted to sign for us but ended up at Farfir where he scored a lot of goals then banged them in for Airdrie and has now got 2 in 1 game for the Pars.

This will be a good fitba question in future - which player scored on his farewell game for his club and 3 days later scored a brace against the same opposition for his new club?