The Arbroath Thread

19 hours ago, JoseMarooniho said:

I don't think the fine detail is out but essentially it involves the introduction of colt teams in the SPFL. There is a biggish thread on the league 2 forum.

Thank you Jose. 

I don't read newspapers, have no real interest in any other team in Scotland, nor do I generally read any others threads on P&B. So I had completely missed this discussion previously.

I have now read all of the posts on that thread from December and then skipped forward to the comments since this resurfaced on Friday. Now I have got a better understanding of the proposal I have to agree that this is utter pish! This clearly demonstrates the utter contempt that the football authorities have for SPFL 1 & 2  and HL/LL clubs. Pandering purely to mainly the OF's ambitions to the detriment the quality of competition and entertainment in the lower tiers, is at the very least insulting to fans and members of those clubs. I fail to see how this can be of any benefit to anyone. If the PL clubs want their U21 players to develop in competitive leagues, then as someone else suggested, get them out on loan. One or two PL loanees in League 1 & 2 squads can benefit both the player as well as the Club they play for, as long as they are played. But, that is not always the case as we saw with Mutch last season.

it is the AGM this week, so I wonder if anyone attending will ask the board for their view on this. Be interesting to find the view of Mike Caird et al on this. 

23 hours ago, superlichtie87 said:

Any info from AGM?

As Herald says there was a lot said by D.C. about the squad and his plans, but we should respect his request that it should stay in that room. All will become clear in due course anyway.

The one thing that is probably ok to report is the Club's view on the proposal for PL Colts in the lower leagues. AFC are totally against it and their view is that virtually every other club in the lower leagues will also vote against it. As has been suggested on here, if 2 or 3 PL start in the HL/LL they will soon get promotion to League 2 which means 2 or 3 part time teams being relegated. It is turkeys voting for Christmas.

That said, it won't impact on the PL or Championship so they would likely vote for it.  Money talks and if the OF want it to happen, it will.

As Herald says there was a lot said by D.C. about the squad and his plans, but we should respect his request that it should stay in that room. All will become clear in due course anyway.
The one thing that is probably ok to report is the Club's view on the proposal for PL Colts in the lower leagues. AFC are totally against it and their view is that virtually every other club in the lower leagues will also vote against it. As has been suggested on here, if 2 or 3 PL start in the HL/LL they will soon get promotion to League 2 which means 2 or 3 part time teams being relegated. It is turkeys voting for Christmas.
That said, it won't impact on the PL or Championship so they would likely vote for it.  Money talks and if the OF want it to happen, it will.

Not the way it works. A vote is required. Pretty sure the vote needs to pass through several stages and the first stage is 37 out of 42 clubs being in favour I'm sure?

Can any of you good Arbroath fans give an honest opinion on Craig Watson, I believe he's on trial with us at the moment.

Great young talent who's career has been interrupted by a serious knee injury. He was rock solid for us in league 2. I feel he can make it in the lower half of the PL. Can also play at RB if required but is best at CB. I'd have loved him back at Gayf.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Great young talent who's career has been interrupted by a serious knee injury. He was rock solid for us in league 2. I feel he can make it in the lower half of the PL. Can also play at RB if required but is best at CB. I'd have loved him back at Gayf.

Cheers for the reply mate. Sounds like he's a very decent young player. We are pretty much covered with central defenders although we've not yet heard if Harry Davis will definitely return.

So there could still be another place to fill. 

C'mon Dick. We trust you but we need reinforcements and the waiting is scary. [emoji15]

This leagues going to be hard. I think Albion/QP and Forfar as it stand look the weakest but other than that there's 1 cracking League 1 team Raith, 1 very good League 1 team in Ayr, then Alloa/Airdrie/East Fife and Stranraer especially look strong too.

Really think we need someone to help Doris score goals. Hester unproven at this level and maybe a step too far for him. Prunty never managed many last season in L2 and Skelly who I think at this moment in times the number 2 to Doris is also unproven at this level, although I think he could be decent/very good depending on his pre season. Showed flashes last year. Although now we've got Denholm we're a lot more dangerous now. He scored a lot last season and played a huge part in other goals too. Maybe will help.

Another defensive or central midfield option also required.

Wouldn't worry too much just now. 16 signed up is a decent number at this stage I think.