The Arbroath Thread

Echo what's been said

Probably playing well because he isn't in a useless unhappy squad/team this season

Happy to have him here.

Jimmy Scott in Herald saying his preferred position is up in the ten beside Doris, so hopefully that puts an end to the playing him out of position stuff some were coming out with

I would not class Jimmy Scott a "striker" I would class him the no 10 like a Rooney position playing between midfield and behind the 2 up top.

Skelly has done well this season and deserves to be starting or at the very least to certainly be getting at least 30 mins from the bench.

Young Hester imo is an excellent "impact sub" and is better up against tiring opposition as he has pace and a menace to mark, but like loads of other players in the past he is never at his best when he starts a game which is frustrating for both the fans and the player.

The biggest mystery is the lack of goals from proven and experienced strikers like Stevie Doris and Bryan Prunty who are different type of strikers imo although their build is similar. 

Doris prefers to do a lot of running and work outside the box and for his height is excellent in the air.

Prunty throughout his career is a 100% penalty box striker and his goals at other clubs back this up that given the service he WILL score goals, but for whatever reason it is not happening for him here but I put that down to not getting the correct service in the box from wide areas, unlike Doris he is not a striker to hit the ball high up to him or chase out wide to run onto long balls.

So to me having 5 players (including Scott) pushing for 2/3 positions depending on how we play is good cover.

I am also convinced once Doris/Prunty score their 1st goal then we will see the best of them for the remainder of the season.

15 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

If it is the preferred partner partnership, i cant see hester or prunty hanging around being 4th/5th choice

The footballer of today seems to be much happier to be in a rotating squad than they used to be. All the forwards get plenty of chances coming off the bench when defences are tiring.

They will all get opportunities when injuries start to kick in.

If it is the preferred partner partnership, i cant see hester or prunty hanging around being 4th/5th choice

I think you'd be surprised, if they are in a happy squad and getting their chance every now and then they'll still be enjoying it.

Football is about more than just playing on a Saturday, Prunty at the end of his career in the seniors is probably OK with a bit part role just now, experienced enough to know that he'll get a chance due to injuries etc, he'll be picking up a decent wage, probably enjoying working with Hester and Skelly too.

Hester is just a young lad who's played in the pub league and the worst junior league in the east region. Hell be enjoying training and working with some of the guys we've got in that squad, will learn a lot, again he's seen a reasonable amount of game time too, as well as having the opportunity to play in big cup games at grounds like Tynecastle every now and then.

It's another reason why it's important to have a management team there that'll keep things enjoyable for the squad as well as characters on the playing side of things.

The Albion Rovers team of a few seasons ago was a great example of it, good interview with John Gemmell who said how much he enjoyed being part of that group even when he wasn't playing. Sounds like they had a great laugh, nicknamed the Crazy Gang, which says it all I think. ;)

Robert Douglas

Due to Robbie Mutch not being able to participate in this weekend's William Hill Scottish Cup tie against the University of Stirling FC, the Club are delighted to announce the signing of the vastly experienced and former Scotland and Celtic Goalkeeper, Rab Douglas.

Rab brings a wealth of experience and knows the Arbroath management team very well and we hope he is given a very warm welcome to Gayfield.

C'mon the Lichties!

Robert Douglas

Due to Robbie Mutch not being able to participate in this weekend's William Hill Scottish Cup tie against the University of Stirling FC, the Club are delighted to announce the signing of the vastly experienced and former Scotland and Celtic Goalkeeper, Rab Douglas.

Rab brings a wealth of experience and knows the Arbroath management team very well and we hope he is given a very warm welcome to Gayfield.

C'mon the Lichties!

Could have done with him from the start of the season but better late than never. Welcome to the lichties Rab.

Would be interesting to see why this didn't happen straight away when DC came in or in the summer, Rab work commitments or just needing a break perhaps.

Good signing, great addition to the dressing room and sure he can fill in if and when required.

Not that I am too fussed but I really don't see why Aberdeen would be worried about Mutch being cup tied, surely they have 3 0r 4 keepers ahead of him

Remember watching Big Rab when he came to Leicester. Never quite hit top form but still remember him as a good shot stopper.

Read he's likely to start in tomorrow's cup game.

Anyone know previous oldest debutant. Know Bullock was about 40 & recall another keeper Dunn was knocking on a bit when he was at the club.

He was never an exceptionally fast keeper or great with the ball at his feet therefore age hasn't made him massively worse over the years. His reflexes aren't what they once were but I've still not seen a keeper organise a defence as well as him and he can still pull off a cracking save. He'll do a fine job and won't let yous down if called upon.