Wages in Juniors

secret_admirer

Hello,

I'm new to this P&B stuff but have been given an insight into a a few clubs wages they offer to players near my area and thought this was ridiculous to the level that they are playing but wanted to check this was the norm before i decide to go on a little rampage. As a neutral I've been watching a few clubs over the years Dalkeith, Bonnyrigg, Edinburgh utd and Newtongrange to name a few and never saw anything to exciting to be claiming the wages i've been provided with. (don't ask why i got them but i was told about them and that players where starting to get upset about)

So here goes:

This team are in Midlothian and Can't name for legal reasons as i might get in trouble but you should be able to work out yourself with the hints.

GK - £80pw +bonuses

GK (ex dalkeith) - £50pw

RB - £40pw

RB - £50pm

CB (captain) - £70pw

CB - £40pw

CB (ex bonnyrigg) - £60pw

LB - £50pw

LB - £60pw

CM (ex HMFC) - £90pw +bonuses

CM - £90pw

CM - £70pw

CM - £60pw

LM - £50pw

AM/ST (ex musselburgh) - £90pw +bonuses

AM - £50pw

ST (ex musselburgh) - £50pw

ST - £90pw +bonuses

ST (ex bonnyrigg)- £130pw +bonuses

ST - £40pw

Now if i'm wrong that's a total of £1,170, how can this club sustain this over and estimated 38 weeks (minimum) of the year is £44.460 that's not including management wages if they take anything. I'm baffled by this due to the caliber of player and the income from fans surely wouldn't equate to this. Can anybody else shed light on other clubs info about wages if this is on par for juniors?

Secret Admirer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can assure you this is correct, I'm sure Bathgate thistle a few years ago payed alot of money (not sure amounts) to players under the guidance William hill (manager was his brother) and they almost went out of business... but not sure if it was similar amount above or more, but this maybe been a one of type of thing.

but going on your answer its telling me this is NOT the norm?

Two or three clubs in the west are pushing 100k a season budget wise. I know a little while back my own teams budget would have been more than 44k a year for sure and we weren't even seen as one of the big clubs. Your figures for players are on the conservative side for top junior clubs imo.

Two or three clubs in the west are pushing 100k a season budget wise. I know a little while back my own teams budget would have been more than 44k a year for sure and we weren't even seen as one of the big clubs. Your figures for players are on the conservative side for top junior clubs imo.

RIDICULOUS AMOUNT FOR JUNIORS!!!

Certainly the Lok sides of the mid to late 00s were on wages that IIRC totalled an excess of the figures quoted. It was funded by sponsorship, social club contributions, gate receipts and other matchday revenue (the programme one year made a gross profit of almost £5k again IIRC), mobile phone mast rent and fundraising projects (xmas raffle, sporting dinner). But look where we are now... no social club for starters.

A very poor post to divulge such information - how much any club pays is their business and the player in question.

Years of experience within the junior game, tells me one thing Players are in most cases overpaid (but that's my opinion and it's all about the price a club are willing to pay)

But very few players will ever give you the whole truth on their wages to others - I know plenty examples where Player A exagerates the level to Player B. Player B then asks for that figure and is unhappy because he is offered the real figure that Player A is on. So this then creates disharmony within the dressing room - a player will take the huff and move on etc. Often finding that the grass isn't greener on the otherside as he first thought.

A multiple account, supposed whistle blower, who's just fishing for info. Sad way to spend your evening sir.

Killipiyo.nail on head.fanny of a post from Op.

Agreed.

Not too sure what the OP was trying to achieve here.

Who really cares who gets paid what!??!

Tbf, it is an interesting topic - albeit one which can rarely be based on provable facts - for 2 main reasons. Firstly, and most obviously, it demonstrates the gulf in practice between clubs within the Junior game themselves... on the one hand you'll have some spending tens of thousands of £ per year on wages, on the other hand you'll have some which are effectively amateur.

Secondly, there is the interesting strategic question... none of these players are full-time or competing with full-time clubs = they won't move for football = if everyone cut their wage bill by 50% then (prettymuch) no player should wish to move to another club. For a club spending £44k a season on wages, that could leave £22k to spend on youth teams or facilities.

Same applies in the Highland League, where a number of clubs spend silly money on local players every though they're only competing with each other for them.

Archived