Is it normal to pretend that your mum is dead?

There's a guy who was in the same year as me at uni. I was merely an acquaintance, but he was friends with one of my flatmates and came around to our flat quite regularly.

Anyway, for the past 6 months, he has led us to believe that his mother is dead. She tragically fell victim to a heart attack in her early 50s. He has been at a couple of my gigs and asked me to dedicate songs to the beloved memory of his dead mother.

I was having a little look at his Facebook page a couple of weeks ago. His most recent status, a matter of days beforehand, had said that he was going into town with his mother. I thought this was a bit bizarre, but he is a spiritual kind of guy and I assumed he was talking about his mother in an ethereal sense. Nonetheless, I decided to look at his Facebook page in more detail and found another status, a couple of weeks beforehand, which wished his mother a Happy Mother's Day. He had posted a photo of himself as a baby being held in his mother's arms. Strangely enough, he had tagged his mother in this picture. Yes, she has her own Facebook page. I thought this was a bit strange, as she had tragically died of a heart attack and wouldn't be able to log onto Facebook at any point in the near future.

And then I saw it.. His mother, who he had tagged in the photo, had also responded to his 'Mother's Day' status. ''Thanks son, love you xx'', she said. She was supposed to have died almost 6 months before this.

I informed my flatmate to let her know, but she said that she was unable to access any of his statuses. It soon became clear that he had blocked anyone he had told of his mother's death from viewing his Facebook statuses (apart from me, accidentally).

So, have any of you ever pretended your mother was dead? For what reason? Should I ask him about this?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A young apprentice Engineer I worked with down in Manchester used to disappear for weeks on end then show up and claim various members of his family had died! He did this on about 4 or 5 separate occasions.

The last time he did it he claimed his Gran had died..........the Foreman told him he was in the wrong game and should have been an undertaker!

Whenever people ask how my mum is doing, I always tell them that she has never really been the same since she was caught up in a fire a few years back.

They don't f**k around in those crematoriums!

(Copyright. Benny Hill).

Paternal mother dead, referring to step mother perhaps???

That was my initial thought, but then I saw the picture of him as a baby in his mother's arms (which he had tagged his mother in, and to which she had responded.) I then went onto her page, and there are numerous photos of her with him as a really young child/toddler/baby.) Added to this, his decision to block all of these mother-related statuses from very specific people doesn't leave me with too much doubt.

Really can't think of any rational reasons for why someone would do it though, so I just assume he is a psycho. Almost a 'Norman Bates' level of creepy.

Get screenshots before yer blocked too

Done. ;)

Archived