Ayr United Versus Dunfermline Athletic Friday 10th October

Ultimately, and maybe it's just me, I thought that was actually a great game to watch. In parts I thought there was some good football. In parts it was like a cup-tie with a bit of blood and thunder. There was also loads of needle, and the Moff tension.

I have to say, result aside, I could watch that kind of game every week.

Aye, I enjoyed it as well. It was a game with an edge and a tension to it that I haven't seen that often since our last relegation. High scoring games have their place, but I love a well contested 0-0 or 1-0 between two well matched sides just as much.

Friday night games seem to be a success. I hope it happens more often.

You view it as a success based on what? I think it's OK when the two clubs are fairly local to each other meaning the away support won't be down much on what it would be on a Saturday, like Partick-Morton or Airdrie-Livingston, but when there's a fair distance between the clubs as there has been for the recent ones (Kilie-Dundee Utd, Ayr-Dunfermline and Raith-QOS) I don't think it's sensible.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent game tonight, certainly by second division standards.

As everyone says, both side dominated for a half, so I suppose it could have gone either way. If Ayr had managed an equaliser it wouldn't have been unfair, but if one team manages to take one of their chances in a game like that while the other fails to do so, the win isn't undeserved.

I'm really pleased that they managed to see it out in the second half, even after losing a centre half to injury at a time when we were under pressure at the back. Often in the last coupe of years we've played well, but generally haven't been able to withstand a long spell of pressure like that without conceding. As it got to the last few minutes, Ayr started to tire a bit with all the effort of chasing an equaliser, but they did pretty well in the second half.

Great strike for the goal, how far out was it? You can't really tell frombehind the goal at the other end at Somerset, and I remember Stephen Husband scoring with a beautifully struck shot in the windy game last year that looked about 15 yards out at the time when it was actually about 25. Didn't see what he did for the booking but if it's as described above then it seems a bit harsh based on what's normally viewed as acceptable.

They played together at Stirling on Saturday. And Moffat was garbage tonight playing up on his own.

Think its fair to say the game changed when Fais came on.

Stonewall penalty from El Bak's shot that hit the bar. Poor decision from the ref who had a good view. He was pretty shite for both sides.

Disappointing performance from Moffat. First time he's been subbed this season too.

Think its fair to say the game changed when Fais came on.

I don't - he wasn't that great when he came on against Stirling. The more important sub was the one some folk were furious about, putting Spence on to change the shape in midfield.

I'm not saying that I think Moffat and Ugwu is a good pairing because it simply isn't. I just don't think it's right to imply that the reason we won two away games in a row is any realisation by the manager that it isn't a good pairing, because both wins were far more dependent on other areas than any tweaking up front. As I say, Moffat had a really poor game last night and contributed very little. The problem is that we're still pretty light up front, and unless either Wallace or Smith is fit again to play a full game, we don't have many options there at all. t's a real shame that Ryan Wallace has had a bad injury, because I think he and Moffat up front would be a realy good pairing.

Stonewall penalty from El Bak's shot that hit the bar. Poor decision from the ref who had a good view. He was pretty shite for both sides.

Disappointing performance from Moffat. First time he's been subbed this season too.

I don't think he does have a good view. I thought that too when I first watched the clip, but if you watch it again you can see that one of the Ayr players blocks his view of it, just as the handball takes place. Just one of those things, and the kind of thing I found really frustrating when I was refereeing. Easier to accept though given that it didn't matter in the end.

Just watched the highlights, we were on top first half and Ayr had more chances in the second.

Well taken goal and we should have had a penalty.

Thought we were pretty mediocre in the first half, gave Dunfermline plenty of space to play and didn't really create anything. 2nd half we came out and looked a much better outift.

We probably shaded it in the 2nd half. If we took our chances we probably could have snatched a draw here. Progress from Peterhead last Saturday where we were utterly rank.

Archived