Jihadists should be stripped of their citizenship

~~~

Says Tory MP David Davis

http://news.sky.com/story/1323770/calls-to-strip-british-jihadists-of-passports

Get the impression it's just a easy way for the UK Gov to wash it's hands off responsibility to deal with these people.

I don't imagine anyone convicted of murder, rape etc... On UK soil will be under threat of deportation if they're citizens

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Tory MP David Davis

http://news.sky.com/story/1323770/calls-to-strip-british-jihadists-of-passports

Get the impression it's just a easy way for the UK Gov to wash it's hands off responsibility to deal with these people.

I don't imagine anyone convicted of murder, rape etc... On UK soil will be under threat of deportation if they're citizens

Good call - it's now the way of things to strip them of their citizenship "& that will teach the bounder a lesson!", forgetting the fact they'd rejected this country when they took up arms against it. Much of it is the fear of the son or daughter of someone prominent or someone well connected being caught out & wishing to prevent a latter day John Amery (whose trial was a fiasco as the Establishment did everything to find a way to get him off) or Anthony Blunt type scandal.

If you go overseas to fight for a group that is (amongst others) against the UK then yes, you shouldn't be allowed back here.

What if it was the same side as the UK at the start?

What does being on the same side as the UK even mean - uk governement, uk army, uk public opinion, your opinion.....?

Will the government be doing the same for private miltary contractors?

The go to more comflict zones, kill more people and do it for a more cynical reason.

How about the elements of our own special forces who have no doubt been sent to syria to do some fighting?

Seems to me this law isn't meant to target a specific crime, it's meant to target a specific demographic.

I don't think that we should get into stripping people of their citizenship. If we do it for people committing crimes abroad, why not Gary Glitter style sex tourism, drug traffickers etc? During the conflict in Northern Ireland British citizens devoted themselves to murdering soldiers, policemen and members of the government but we didn't strip anyone of citizenship then.

In the day the Tories would have been oppossed to UK citizens who joined the International Brigade and went to fight Franco's fascist regime.

When I read the OP the first thing I thought of was the International Brigade. I think the notion of 'stripping citizenship' is a bit scary, where do you stop ? It potentially leaves people stateless, I suppose if there was a clause that if country A gives them a passport then they could lose citizenship of country B but I'm not comfortable with the idea. I prefer (not really what I mean but can't think of a better way to put it) the idea of locking up people who commit crimes rather than kicking them out the country.

When I read the OP the first thing I thought of was the International Brigade. I think the notion of 'stripping citizenship' is a bit scary, where do you stop ? It potentially leaves people stateless, I suppose if there was a clause that if country A gives them a passport then they could lose citizenship of country B but I'm not comfortable with the idea. I prefer (not really what I mean but can't think of a better way to put it) the idea of locking up people who commit crimes rather than kicking them out the country.

I know what you're trying to get over. But, in this case aren't they fighting to establish their own state?

I know what you're trying to get over. But, in this case aren't they fighting to establish their own state?

My point was more 'where do you draw the line' once the precedent has been set. Whoever is in power could then abuse it and even extend it to the likes of environmental campaigners (off the top of my head that one) or even journalists in foreign conflicts who don't report what the government want them too. Once your citizenship becomes up for debate it can be used to make people toe the line. I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I don't think its likely any time soon but if its there it can be misused.

As others have mentioned this sounds more like a 'things that traditional Tory/UKIP voters like to hear' rather than a serious policy suggestion. Its just unworkable, for many of the reasons touched upon.

It surely would only make those people more determined to attack the UK in the future?

Google / wikipedia say that you can have your passport taken away if you have dual nationality under current laws. Removing your citizenship has to be proved to be "conducive to the public good". I'd imagine that this has covered usually people with dual nationality who have committed crimes in the UK.

Deliberately making people stateless is wrong and won't make Britain safer or help us deal with terrorists.

How do they plan to distinguish between people there helping in a humanitarian effort or fighting for one of the other Syrian resistance groups and those within IS?

They don't.

Archived