Video Evidence

th1stleandr0se

The growing trend for posting videos of games is encouraging but it begs a question about video evidence. It's used in the higher leagues in appeals but should it be used at our level?

I was at a match yesterday where the ref missed three key incidents and had to consult with his assistants. I can't blame him as I missed two of them myself. In one, he initially sent off the wrong player and when he sorted that out the player kept on protesting his innocence all the way off the park. Now if there was an appeal on either count which was backed up with video evidence would it and should it be allowed?

The other side of the coin is that there was another in which an accused player walked free. If video evidence showed the incident could and should he be punished retrospectively?

Now, here's the key point. If I filmed the match and caught my own player getting away with a punishable offence would I be stupid enough to publish it on Youtube and risk a suspension on his part? It means that video evidence is selective, unlike in the senior levels.

Opinions?

The growing trend for posting videos of games is encouraging but it begs a question about video evidence. It's used in the higher leagues in appeals but should it be used at our level?

I was at a match yesterday where the ref missed three key incidents and had to consult with his assistants. I can't blame him as I missed two of them myself. In one, he initially sent off the wrong player and when he sorted that out the player kept on protesting his innocence all the way off the park. Now if there was an appeal on either count which was backed up with video evidence would it and should it be allowed?

The other side of the coin is that there was another in which an accused player walked free. If video evidence showed the incident could and should he be punished retrospectively?

Now, here's the key point. If I filmed the match and caught my own player getting away with a punishable offence would I be stupid enough to publish it on Youtube and risk a suspension on his part? It means that video evidence is selective, unlike in the senior levels.

Opinions?

As Kennie says above the SJFA do allow it but personally think it is unfair that it is allowed to be used. If every club had access to it fine then let's use it but not every club has someone willing to film their games.

We had a situation last season where we had a player sent off and the video I was shown by the opposition cameraman after the game and which could of cleared out player of the incident. It was agreed to send it but it never was and the player had his ban doubled.

I can understand the clubs stance as maybe they don't want to get involved in another clubs issue but where is the fairness for the players if one can use video evidence but another can't.

Thought they were only interested in videos if a criminal act occurred - I was asked to see if my video identified a fan who threw a can onto the park before when we played in the Scottish, but after checking the footage (with Bankies club officials to verify), I only had video of the can landing on pitch and no way to tell the culprit. Because this is an off-the-field matter then action, I assume, would be able to be taken if video can verify those who are guilty.

I was told it would only be accepted if it was filmed by an independent company and unedited, so I'd have to form like killiepiyo productions or something similar and not be affiliated to the club to submit video evidence. The event the other poster is referring to wasn't a case of the camera guy being a p***k, that's for sure.

Archived