Eldorado Wine - 'Scotland's favourite'

I noticed in my local off-sales earlier today that they now stock half bottles of EL D and they seem to have re-branded the product somewhat with a snazzy new label and a blue cap instead of the traditional white one. I remember seeing the 75cl bottles in various One-O-One off-sales in and around East Kilbride and Glasgow but that was a good 7 or 8 years ago and I haven't heard or seen much about this drink ever since. Is it making a comeback to challenge Buckfast for the title of Scotland's favourite jakey wine? At around £2 odds for a half-bottle, it's around half the price of Buckfast, so are we about to see a fortified wine price war?

What's the Pieandbovril verdtict on Eldorado? I heard it's particularly popular in Inverclyde. I tried it years ago and wasn't a fan, but the older lads I go to the games with swear that it's a lot nicer than Buckfast.

Not sure about the drink, but Eldorado was one of the finest drama series ever made by the BBC. Cancelled way before its time. RIP.

I think you would have needed a lot of Eldorado to enjoy Eldorado...

Never tried it myself but I'm aware that you can get El Dorado on tap (?) in the Morton Supporters Club in Greenock - which most Morton supporters avoid like the plague anyway - and probably a few of the town centre's less salubrious establishments, probably The Westburn or some other coup.

The Norseman may well have a stash of it among the bottles of Lea and Perrins and the rest of its 'shite on the shelf' range of bottles that were opened in 1977 and haven't been disposed of by environmental health.

What about the "Lucky Numbers" - 365.

The tipple for the more discerning palate.

A flaggan of cider and a 1/2 bottle guaranteed a welcome to anybody's "party".

Or "The real mans drink" Scotsmac.

Oh happy youthful days.

I've tasted some horrible alcohol in my life but nothing as bad as Scotsmac. Who the f**k thought whisky and wine were a good mix??

Never tried it myself but I'm aware that you can get El Dorado on tap (?) in the Morton Supporters Club in Greenock - which most Morton supporters avoid like the plague anyway - and probably a few of the town centre's less salubrious establishments, probably The Westburn or some other coup.

The Norseman may well have a stash of it among the bottles of Lea and Perrins and the rest of its 'shite on the shelf' range of bottles that were opened in 1977 and haven't been disposed of by environmental health.

You know you're in a rough pub when they have a shelf containing bottles of condiments, that stuff that's used to make long vodka and a half drunk/used bottle of Listerine.

What about the "Lucky Numbers" - 365.

The tipple for the more discerning palate.

A flaggan of cider and a 1/2 bottle guaranteed a welcome to anybody's "party".

Or "The real mans drink" Scotsmac.

Oh happy youthful days.

I don't know Lucky numbers or Scotsmac, I don't think I've tried El Dorado either but I'm aware of that one. I was more of the discerning Thunderbird kind of a chap myself.

I noticed in my local off-sales earlier today that they now stock half bottles of EL D and they seem to have re-branded the product somewhat with a snazzy new label and a blue cap instead of the traditional white one. I remember seeing the 75cl bottles in various One-O-One off-sales in and around East Kilbride and Glasgow but that was a good 7 or 8 years ago and I haven't heard or seen much about this drink ever since. Is it making a comeback to challenge Buckfast for the title of Scotland's favourite jakey wine? At around £2 odds for a half-bottle, it's around half the price of Buckfast, so are we about to see a fortified wine price war?

What's the Pieandbovril verdtict on Eldorado? I heard it's particularly popular in Inverclyde. I tried it years ago and wasn't a fan, but the older lads I go to the games with swear that it's a lot nicer than Buckfast.

Was it OldTawny or Rich White? One was more vile than the other...needs must now and again though. Scotsmac was the other Buckfast alternative in Airdrie. If out of town maybe Sanatogen or a sherry...Gold Dust or Four Crowns.