Eldorado Wine - 'Scotland's favourite'

Resurrecting this thread from a few years ago. 

As a valentines 'joke' I gave the wife a very expensive looking wine carrier. Her eyes lit up at the expectation of a high - end wine or champagne. 

Oh how I laughed when she produced from said fine packaging a bottle of finest El D ! ! 

After revealing her real gift, I was left with the dilemma of what to do with  this bottle of eighties throwback, so there was no other real option than to drink it!! 

Having never been an avid consumer  of fortified wines, I was preparing for some serious baulking, but was surprised to find it was more than similar to buckfast which I can at least hold down!! 

In the end I can conclude that El D is a decent away day drink on a budget , and at the £6 price, a real contender to the tried and tested bottle of Buck for the travelling jakey's tipple of choice. 

9 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Resurrecting this thread from a few years ago. 

As a valentines 'joke' I gave the wife a very expensive looking wine carrier. Her eyes lit up at the expectation of a high - end wine or champagne. 

Oh how I laughed when she produced from said fine packaging a bottle of finest El D ! ! 

After revealing her real gift, I was left with the dilemma of what to do with  this bottle of eighties throwback, so there was no other real option than to drink it!! 

Having never been an avid consumer  of fortified wines, I was preparing for some serious baulking, but was surprised to find it was more than similar to buckfast which I can at least hold down!! 

In the end I can conclude that El D is a decent away day drink on a budget , and at the £6 price, a real contender to the tried and tested bottle of Buck for the travelling jakey's tipple of choice. 

giphy.gif

On 26/08/2014 at 08:35, chomp my root said:

Royal Dutch seems to ring a bell, I'm sure there were some more.

Edited 'cos I'm a simp

Me and a mate used to drink Royal Dutch when we were skint. Don't recall it being too bad. Fortunately I've moved on to better things.. 

Where does this sit on the fortified wine scale?

sanatogen-english-tonic-wine-with-added-

On the plus side, it's cheaper than Buckfast and they appear to sell it in the big supermarkets. Tried it once and it got me hammered so I can vouch for its efficacy. However, I forgot to take any tasting notes, so I can't say whether it was nice or not. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

On the plus side, it's cheaper than Buckfast and they appear to sell it in the big supermarkets. Tried it once and it got me hammered so I can vouch for its efficacy. However, I forgot to take any tasting notes, so I can't say whether it was nice or not. 

^^^Only ever bought in emergencies, usually on northerly journeys. 

11 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

richelieu.jpg.2e305fef407cb66de063a5f3cc67afd3.jpg

Donnez-moi beacoup de swally...!

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 06:41, Bookies Love Me said:

What about the "Lucky Numbers" - 365.

The tipple for the more discerning palate.

A flaggan of cider and a 1/2 bottle guaranteed a welcome to anybody's "party".

Or "The real mans drink" Scotsmac.

Oh happy youthful days.

Scotsmac - The Bam's Dram lol

After a fact-finding mission to some of Greater Greenock's finest bin pubs, I can reveal that the Comet Bar in Port Glasgow serves El Dorado (and Buckfast as well, making it a 'cosmopolitan wine bar') on optics, using oversized five litre glass bottles. El D's revival has also been capped by a shirt sponsorship of Port Glasgow Juniors; when the sweetie merchant running Morton goes, they'll no doubt be returning to their rightful home at Cappielow. 

Edited by vikingTON

On 23/08/2014 at 06:53, Dosser-fae-the-shire said:

I've tasted some horrible alcohol in my life but nothing as bad as Scotsmac. Who the f**k thought whisky and wine were a good mix??

I bought a fancy cocktail in a fancy bar for £15 a few years back. The ingredients were Whisky, vodka and wine. 

I thought someone must be an amazing bartender to mix those in a way that it would taste nice.

It tasted exactly like you would imagine it would if you'd mixed those 3 ingredients yourself.

After a fact-finding mission to some of Greater Greenock's finest bin pubs, I can reveal that the Comet Bar in Port Glasgow serves El Dorado (and Buckfast as well, making it a 'cosmopolitan wine bar') on optics, using oversized five litre glass bottles. El D's revival has also been capped by a shirt sponsorship of Port Glasgow Juniors; when the sweetie merchant running Morton goes,they'll no doubt be returning to their rightful home at Cappielow. 
Yep, they unveiled the new kit just before we visited them in the Scottish this season. Tbf, it's probably a step up from Irn Bru as Man of the Match awards go.

IMG_20180219_150448.jpg

• 1 year later...