That's not a Chopper!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halfords are bringing back a "Chopper" type bike.

24vso01.jpg

Personally, I think that looks nothing like the Chopper bikes I remember - it looks crap. Anybody here have a Chopper when they were a kid?

Not a chpooer.

$_57.JPGChopper.

Cool as f**k but slow as shite.

Edited to add: Utterly useless to get a backy on too despite the long seat.

There was also a Budgie which was similar.

That rings a bell , could've been that .

I always remember when a group of us all wanted new bikes for Christmas , was around the time when bmx was getting big and 4-5 of us got Raleigh burners and our pal got one of those kiddy on bmx thingies wae the computer on it, he was gutted !! He thought he was the dogs bollocks wae his wee laser noises until he saw us 1 by 1 appear with proper bmxs.

The Tomahawk, I believe, was the rather predictable name of the junior Chopper. A ridiculously dangerous thing to ride if you were too big for it!

I had a Chopper as a kid, I also had a Grifter for a while. The latter didn't last long as it was the time BMX'ing was coming into vogue and the Grifter was effectively the weight of a small family car.

The Chopper was indeed, as mentioned, good for wheelies and to demonstrate my 1970's credentials I once landed on the bonnet of a BL Princess due to a particularly bad bit of stunt riding.

That rings a bell , could've been that .I always remember when a group of us all wanted new bikes for Christmas , was around the time when bmx was getting big and 4-5 of us got Raleigh burners and our pal got one of those kiddy on bmx thingies wae the computer on it, he was gutted !! He thought he was the dogs bollocks wae his wee laser noises until he saw us 1 by 1 appear with proper bmxs.

The Raleigh Vektar - my brother had one. Looked futuristic as f**k at the time but in reality it was a bit shite. I think the 'computer' on it was a basic clock/speedo/stopwatch thing which you could accessorise further if you bought more add-ons but I don't know what those were as my brother never got the upgrades he was promised. Poor c**t.

post-25521-0-62646700-1408117608_thumb.j

I had a Chopper many moons ago but I still preferred my Striker with it's pedal brakes.

Went through some amount of back tyres though.

I was a Striker boy too, some whizzing around you could do on that b*****d. Always wanted a Chopper, tho :(

Those things were so heavy it was as if they were made of fcuking cast iron!

Weren't they just? 'Getting air' in a Grifter could only refer to pumping up the tires.

One thing about the weight though, once you got the fucker up to a decent speed they were pretty easy to keep up when doing a wheelie.

I had a Grifter but swapped ii for a racer and I replaced the racer's handlebars with a set of 'bull horn' handlebars. I thought I was Peter Fonda in Easy Rider. Probably explains why I still ride motorcycles :death The new choppers look shit, two part seats just make you look like a tosser, no gear stick either, A hipsters version of what a chopper should look like-arseholes.

1 of our mates had a twisty grip thing that was meant to sound like a motorbike , we were aw sittin in another mates front garden and he comes round the corner twistin away making a racket and my mates black lab went mental and attacked him !! he pissed himself , aaa those were the days.

My mate had a Grifter- he called it a "rifter". Another mate had a Chopper, I think the new one doesn't have the gear lever in the middle because that's regarded as dangerous these days. How did we ever survive the 1970s/80s with the threat of nuclear war, celebrity paedophiles and dodgy bikes?

I had a Raleigh Phaser which was bought from a jumble sale for a tenner or something. I suppose it was a boring "proper" bike. Still the best bike I ever had though.

post-12982-0-23588200-1408192627.jpg

Archived