Referees threaten to strike

The comments from James Bee suggest that the discussions have been ongoing - it's more likely that the concerns started to be raised last season but that matters have come to a head now. In the past there was a distinction between the top tier and the other three due to the SPL/SFL set-up, but since they've come under one banner that no longer exists. The way the SPFL is structured, the second tier now has more commonalities with the top tier than it does with the third and fourth.

I'll wait and see what comes out here but it reeks of shite to me. I'd suggest for the last 10 years that the 2nd tier has had more in common with the top division, I understand that the SPL/SFL made things difficult but in terms of full-time teams the top two have been similar. Also, why wasn't this all sorted at the point of reconstruction? How can it take a year to come to a head? As I say, it reeks of shite to me.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that's the case then the £890 should be brought down not the Championship wage increased.

Until their performances merit a wage increase they shouldn't be paid a penny more than the great wage they already get. If they are willing to slash their fee for lower profile Prem matches to add this to the higher profile Championship matches then fair enough.

This 100% not seen anything about them offering to do Partick v Ross County for less so why more for Hearts v Hibs and Last night was hardly an advert for giving them a pay rise after some of those decisions. Surely the best way to get a pay rise is to perform well.

Looks like I'm out on a limb here, as I usually am with reffing stuff.

So I'll leave you to it. But I'll just note in the before I go that there's not a fucking chance I would put up with that shit for under two hundred quid.

Looks like I'm out on a limb here, as I usually am with reffing stuff.

So I'll leave you to it. But I'll just note in the before I go that there's not a fucking chance I would put up with that shit for under two hundred quid.

What shit?

I couldn't think of an easier 200 quid than refereeing a Dumbarton vs Alloa game for example. Edinburgh derby might be a bit trickier but that makes up for the piss easy 200 they made the week before, or 800 odd they got for doing Hamilton vs Ross County 2 weeks previous. Pretty sure most folk have easy days and difficult days at work, doesn't mean you go demanding more money for the tougher shifts. Swings and roundabouts as they say.

I'll wait and see what comes out here but it reeks of shite to me. I'd suggest for the last 10 years that the 2nd tier has had more in common with the top division, I understand that the SPL/SFL made things difficult but in terms of full-time teams the top two have been similar. Also, why wasn't this all sorted at the point of reconstruction? How can it take a year to come to a head? As I say, it reeks of shite to me.

The referees had no input into the reconstruction, so why would it be "sorted" then?

League 1/2 and Championship - this season excluded - refs couldn't have an easier time of it. No media coverage, no footage to contend decisions, no chance of physical violence and a lot less pressure than the top flight. An appalling decision goes relatively unnoticed.

f**k being a ref in the junior ranks.

Shocking what refs get paid hope they are paying the tax on all fees

Two games a week 1500 per week great for a second job

Just shows how full of themselves a lot of these jokers are, most of them seem to be professional people with good jobs who have chosen to get involved in the game but were not good enough to play so officiate instead as a side-line. If they were full time & relying on fees for their living I would possibly have a bit more sympathy for them, its a bit like volunteering for something then demanding top wages for doing it. Give them petrol money & a uniform & tell them to get on with it. How many refs are topping up their brew money to feed their families I think none would be the answer.

The referees had no input into the reconstruction, so why would it be "sorted" then?

Surely if this issue has been ongoing then it must have been known about at the point of reconstruction. That seems like the perfect time to rejig everything to me, surely the refs made each governing body aware at the time that they weren't happy with the gap between the divisions regardless if they have any say in the actual reconstruction of the league. The fact it's all "come to a head" just as 3 big teams enter this division makes me very wary of it, that's all.

It doesn't surprise me at all that referee fees weren't adjusted last year when SPL & SFL merged... that happened quite quickly in the end (after numerous false starts), and it was probably several dozen places down the league's priority list of "things to do" at the time. And no doubt posters on here would just have slated them as being too eager and not waiting!!

People can rail against the idea of refs getting X hundred pounds per game all they like but you're living on a different planet if you think they're all getting too much. They have to train 2 or 3 nights a week, meet rigorous requiremets on fitness and performance, and are asked to travel all over the place on midweeks and weekends at all sorts of times. They officiate in matches where thousands attend and hundreds of thousands watch on TV, and all within a sport where several hundred million £ gets turned-over per season. It's an entirely thankless task where you get dogs abuse all game long, criticism in the media, and the opportunities for progression are not always that wide. Football can't happen without referees so they're always going to require a small fraction of the riches, and without it some would quit, meaning worse referees than currently.

They've a case on Premiership being £800+ and Championship being <£200 (but not if the desire is a substantial aggregate increase across the board), and the usual moping about them being overpaid is just dreary. Paying £35k for a season worth of Championship refs clearly isn't over-the-odds.

It doesn't surprise me at all that referee fees weren't adjusted last year when SPL & SFL merged... that happened quite quickly in the end (after numerous false starts), and it was probably several dozen places down the league's priority list of "things to do" at the time. And no doubt posters on here would just have slated them as being too eager and not waiting!!

People can rail against the idea of refs getting X hundred pounds per game all they like but you're living on a different planet if you think they're all getting too much. They have to train 2 or 3 nights a week, meet rigorous requiremets on fitness and performance, and are asked to travel all over the place on midweeks and weekends at all sorts of times. They officiate in matches where thousands attend and hundreds of thousands watch on TV, and all within a sport where several hundred million £ gets turned-over per season. It's an entirely thankless task where you get dogs abuse all game long, criticism in the media, and the opportunities for progression are not always that wide. Football can't happen without referees so they're always going to require a small fraction of the riches, and without it some would quit, meaning worse referees than currently.

They've a case on Premiership being £800+ and Championship being <£200 (but not if the desire is a substantial aggregate increase across the board), and the usual moping about them being overpaid is just dreary. Paying £35k for a season worth of Championship refs clearly isn't over-the-odds.

I still fully stand by the point that referees should in no way, shape or form be paid several hundred more than a player. If we're playing Rangers live on TV with hundreds of thousands watching, our players wages dont suddenly go up from 200 a week to 800.

Couple of jogs a week and a reasonably healthy diet to keep fit is all thats required, hardly fuckin boot camp. Players put in far more work both on and off the field and there will be some in this league who are on between £100 and £200 p/w.

I still fully stand by the point that referees should in no way, shape or form be paid several hundred more than a player. If we're playing Rangers live on TV with hundreds of thousands watching, our players wages dont suddenly go up from 200 a week to 800.

Couple of jogs a week and a reasonably healthy diet to keep fit is all thats required, hardly fuckin boot camp. Players put in far more work both on and off the field and there will be some in this league who are on between £100 and £200 p/w.

Simple economics dictates that they should be paid more than players. Players are, pretty much, ten a penny. Referees, especially good ones, are thin on the ground.

I don't particularly think it's big and clever to abuse a ref for a poor decision,

I've never done refereeing but I get it's a hard job.

Where I do have an issue Is the advantage rule.

I'm pretty confident a ref doesn't have to be trained to within in an inch of his life to delay blowing his whistle for a second or 2 whilst he sees how play develops.

Put it this way. Every time I see an advantage at this level I clap - even if it's against us.

It's such a rarity.

I think you are severely underestimating the fitness level required to referee at this level.

The standard of refereeing in this country has been in decline, season upon season upon season.

Just because cash-strapped Hearts, a woeful Hibs team and some kind of Rangers tribute act have rocked up in the division, they think they are entitled to some kind of pay rise?

They can GTF.

The Big Three remember. :lol:

Archived