Sportsound Watch

Is anyone else just sick and fed up of Sportsound? Or is it just me? The 'pundits' are woeful, the post-match 'interviews' with managers are completely pointless, merely Chick Young and co chumming up to the managers and zero tactical insight is ever offered or even attempted to be gained.

Billy Dodds- Really is a pointless pundit... never says anything of worth and merely parrots what is already being said in the papers on a current issue.

Chick Young- If he is a 'journalist' he never does any research and also offers zero insight.

Richard Gordon- I know this view may not be universal but he really gets on my wick. I acknowledge he is far more competent than the rest as a broadcaster and constantly has to stop the others shouting over each other on live radio like a school teacher but I find him an odious p***k tbh.

Willie Miller- Just find him a pedantic tosser. Summed up at the weekend in that he had no clue about teams in the lower leagues (other than the Big 3). And the taxpayer subsidises this man to be a pundit on national radio?

Allan Preston- The biggest numpty of them all. How can a man who has only ever had one manager job (At Livingston where he got sacked after 14 games , only winning 1/2 losing the vast majority of the rest including a 7 game losing streak which got him sacked.) be a 'pundit' who broadcasts his supposed wisdom to the nation every week. It is not like he is even close to talking sense anytime soon Fail. Also his constant "chance" every 15 seconds on open all mics is quite a grate.

After the weekend, first games of a new season I lasted about ten mins on Saturday before becoming completely pissed off at being reminded as to how shite a programme it really is. Hence this post.

Apologies for the rant. Or do others agree that it is complete horseshi*t? This is the national taxpayer funded radio programme after all. When you listen to five live it is night and day. Although I appreciate there are plenty of idiots on there too and they probs have far bigger a budget due to English football/premiership etc but as an overall show it trumps Sportsound... surely we can produce better in Scotland?

Edited by Radford
Removing 2014/15 from thread title.

I disagree entirely re Allan Preston and Richard Gordon. Ironically in your rant you missed out the worst of them all, Derek Ferguson and Murder McLeod.

Tom English is excellent, as is Richard Wilson.

It's like all shows - has its good and bad.

The real question is, if it annoys you so much, why bother?

Edited by mozam76

Is anyone else just sick and fed up of Sportsound? Or is it just me? The 'pundits' are woeful, the post-match 'interviews' with managers are completely pointless, merely Chick Young and co chumming up to the managers and zero tactical insight is ever offered or even attempted to be gained.

Billy Dodds- Really is a pointless pundit... never says anything of worth and merely parrots what is already being said in the papers on a current issue.

Chick Young- If he is a 'journalist' he never does any research and also offers zero insight.

Richard Gordon- I know this view may not be universal but he really gets on my wick. I acknowledge he is far more competent than the rest as a broadcaster and constantly has to stop the others shouting over each other on live radio like a school teacher but I find him an odious p***k tbh.

Willie Miller- Just find him a pedantic tosser. Summed up at the weekend in that he had no clue about teams in the lower leagues (other than the Big 3). And the taxpayer subsidises this man to be a pundit on national radio?

Allan Preston- The biggest numpty of them all. How can a man who has only ever had one manager job (At Livingston where he got sacked after 14 games , only winning 1/2 losing the vast majority of the rest including a 7 game losing streak which got him sacked.) be a 'pundit' who broadcasts his supposed wisdom to the nation every week. It is not like he is even close to talking sense anytime soon Fail. Also his constant "chance" every 15 seconds on open all mics is quite a grate.

After the weekend, first games of a new season I lasted about ten mins on Saturday before becoming completely pissed off at being reminded as to how shite a programme it really is. Hence this post.

Apologies for the rant. Or do others agree that it is complete horseshi*t? This is the national taxpayer funded radio programme after all. When you listen to five live it is night and day. Although I appreciate there are plenty of idiots on there too and they probs have far bigger a budget due to English football/premiership etc but as an overall show it trumps Sportsound... surely we can produce better in Scotland?

Aye right then mate.

I gave up on Sportsound years ago because of it being Radio OF. Little's changed from what I can gather. BBC 'Scotland' really is a small minded little community that only cares about what's on their doorstep. Thank goodness for the internet.

That bit did annoy me. Nobody's expecting an encyclopaedic knowledge of East Stirlingshire's summer transfers, but surely it's not too much to expect people paid to talk about the game to have some idea of what's going on in the lower divisions?

The rest of them aren't that bad though. Yes, they've all got their bad habits and there are some things which are annoying, but it's still a far better show than the alternatives. I've spent a few Saturday afternoons listening to Forth 1's attempt at football coverage, and I'd take the BBC over that any day.

It's not Radio OF at all - last season, it was Radio Dons - we used to laugh (in a bitter diddy, jealous of the Famous kind of a way) about the over the top stuff about Aberdeen and the way Richard Gordon could work them into any conversation. Obviously the funereal tones of Willie Miller and him after the last day of the season at Pittodrie made the journey home quite enjoyable ;)

I actually don't mind the programme - It's a while since I lived in the West but I remember just how fucking awful Radio Clyde used to be when you'd be lucky to get a passing mention of a club that didn't happen to playing the OF that day - so Sportsound is better than that. I'm pleased that Off the Ball is on more as I couldn't stand listening to Traynor or the hour long pundit section (where they talked about how great the Dons were) last season.

How Chick is still in a job is a mystery to me..

Richard Gordon is alright but he does just sit in a studio and try to stop it descending into farce.

All the ex-pros are idiots and guys like Preston and Ferguson really need to learn how to enunciate to save us from listening to incoherent nonsense. John Robertson and Willie Miller are unbearable - Miller can't say a bad word against Aberdeen, and Robertson detests Ross County to the point that his match reports and updates bear no resemblance to what is actually happening on the park.

Chick Young's whiny voice is annoying, as is his "trying too hard" support of Saint Mirren. Jim Spence seems nice enough and doesn't pander to the OF but he's dreadful. Scott Davie saps any enthusiasm I have for life. The other journalists they have on are just awful. Tom English should stick to egg-chasing, and for reasons I'm still not sure about I find Spiers to be an unbearable w****r. Maybe he is?

The live commentary isn't great. McLeod screeches at anything, Rob McLean is a bit clueless, and Murdo MacLeod is an idiot.

Unfortunately, it's the only real coverage we have on matchday other than the brief "Sportscene Results" which is equally as bad, if not worse with its selection of pundits. Paterson is inoffensive but more than a bit dim. Ewan Murray is a total c**t and I can only assume that he knows his golf because he certainly isn't employed for his football knowledge. Michael Stewart seems like a likeable guy but he doesn't offer any actual insight. Pat Bonner apparently supports Celtic, but I really wouldn't have guessed that. And Jonathan Sutherland? Harmless enough but his eyes seem to pierce your soul. Pat Nevin knows his stuff but by Christ he's boring.

And despite all this, it was actually worse when we had Sandra Brown screaming over every Queen of the South throw in the opposition.

The BBC is dreadful for Scottish football. Yet, paranoid as it sounds, it's worse if you support a team from outside the central belt. ICT and Ross County have received disgraceful coverage over the past few seasons.

Edited by yoda

The BBC is dreadful for Scottish football. Yet, paranoid as it sounds, it's worse if you support a team from outside the central belt. ICT and Ross County have received disgraceful coverage over the past few seasons.

I think that is a fair comment - and I'd throw St Johnstone in there too (although their profile has been a bit higher recently). The coverage of ICT and Ross County never seems to get away from a caricature of "wee, tiny clubs in the top division - that's lovely for them"

At the risk of turning this thread into some Sevco related nonsense, it's a disgrace Billy Dodds still gets paid BBC considering he denied he ever had an EBT and then refused to take part in the second Mark Daly/BBC documentary about the Rangers disaster.

Edited by Stu

Murdo Mcleod and Chick Young are the worst. Preston and Ferguson bore me but dont spout as much drivel as the former two. Willie Miller is a cock.

Gordon, English, Spence and Stewart are all really good. Even Stuart Cosgrove can be more serious at times and a good listen.

At the risk of turning this thread into some Sevco related nonsense, it's a disgrace Billy Dodds still gets paid BBC considering he denied he ever had an EBT and then refused to take part in the second Mark Daly/BBC documentary about the Rangers disaster.

It's also been airbrushed out of history that Billy Dodds rejected the Dundee CVA offer after fans had raised sigbificant money to save the club. He could've put us out of business purely out of spite.

Jim Spence's hatred for west coast teams irritates the f**k out of me.

Chick Young knows absolutely nothing about football and can barely string a sentence together. His seethe over us sacking his pal Gerry Collins in 2003 hasn't cooled at all and he can't find it within himself to say a single positive thing about us.

Richard Gordon is a decent guy and I admire how he makes no attempt to hide his love for Aberdeen, yet can still remain dignified when they lose. The cup tie they lost to Raith Rovers springs to mind. He can however come across as a bit pompous at times.

Allan Preston is a moron.

Derek Ferguson is a bit thick to say the least, but you could send him to any game at any level and he'd at least be enthusiastic about it which is more than can be said for Willie Miller.

Tom English is a rare thing in the Scottish football media - he's articulate and amusing. Not afraid to dish out serious stick either.

So it's a far from perfect show, but I'd miss it like f**k if they pulled the plug one day.

It's light years ahead of the ridiculous Superscoreboard.

Edited by Hammer Jag