Sportsound Watch

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

Getting this back on topic - Sandra fucking Brown. Why is a publicly funded broadcaster continually paying her as a 'reporter' to only watch the team that she supports - Queen of the South - and almost never travel to a game that isn't in that wannabe English, Borders hovel?

The only satisfaction from yesterday's show is that her team are shite and got pumped again. 

I think most of them are only paid expenses, so it make sense to have reporters from the local area.

It's hardly the end of the world if a radio reporter lets his/her football bias show. The main commentator, i.e. someone who is actually employed on a contract by the Beeb, is a different story.

Edited by JamesM82

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Getting this back on topic - Sandra fucking Brown. Why is a publicly funded broadcaster continually paying her as a 'reporter' to only watch the team that she supports - Queen of the South - and almost never travel to a game that isn't in that wannabe English, Borders hovel?

The only satisfaction from yesterday's show is that her team are shite and got pumped again. 

The Aberdeen lads will be along shortly to tell you “you’re just raging because no one gives a f**k about Morton”.

If your team are playing Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd, St Mirren, QOS or St Johnstone, don’t listen to Sportsound or Open All Mics. You won’t hear any impartial reporting. Just shrieking fanboys of limited intelligence speaking in riddles and cliches. 

Just listened to Saturday’s Off The Ball.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Chick Young (needlessly) discussing celebrities he interviewed when he worked in London. “I did Elton John once. Oops, maybe I should rephrase that.”

88697915-F8D9-4196-A8F4-1233072CD3F4.png

10 hours ago, virginton said:

Nice seethe VT. Well played. 

Under the circumstances I agree that it  would have been better if she had been sent to Livi last Saturday. I think her style of reporting would have brought to life Morton’s completely predicable capitulation to the listening audience.

Perhaps, Sportsound will use her to cover Morton’s run in starting next Saturday.

Jesus fucking Christ.
Chick Young (needlessly) discussing celebrities he interviewed when he worked in London. “I did Elton John once. Oops, maybe I should rephrase that.”

We all know Sir Elton did a lot of drugs back in the day but nobody would have imagined he’d sunk that low

10 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

The Aberdeen lads will be along shortly to tell you “you’re just raging because no one gives a f**k about Morton”.

If your team are playing Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd, St Mirren, QOS or St Johnstone, don’t listen to Sportsound or Open All Mics. You won’t hear any impartial reporting. Just shrieking fanboys of limited intelligence speaking in riddles and cliches. 

What have we done?

Guest JTS98

Maybe looking for insider-ish knowledge here, or maybe something that's common knowledge in Scotland since I'm not based there any more. But was there a conscious decision to tabloid-ise Sportsound? It used to be a pretty good programme and I'd rarely miss it. It had decent interviews, decent features and guests etc. But in the last year or so it has just turned into Radio Clyde and is genuinely appalling. Is this just bad luck ,or did the BBC decide to do this? It's baffling.

Off the Ball used to be unmissable too, but now I usually see the guests and just think, 'naw'.

11 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Jesus fucking Christ.

I much prefer the time Walter Smith did him. Listen closely and you can just make out the sound of his tears splashing on the floor

11 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Maybe looking for insider-ish knowledge here, or maybe something that's common knowledge in Scotland since I'm not based there any more. But was there a conscious decision to tabloid-ise Sportsound? It used to be a pretty good programme and I'd rarely miss it. It had decent interviews, decent features and guests etc. But in the last year or so it has just turned into Radio Clyde and is genuinely appalling. Is this just bad luck ,or did the BBC decide to do this? It's baffling.

Off the Ball used to be unmissable too, but now I usually see the guests and just think, 'naw'.

The continued employment of Kenny McIntyre suggests that's the case.

I find Barry Wilson is pretty good at doing the ICT and Ross matches. Doesn’t talk in cliches and usually describes the goals pretty accurately. 

14 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

I think most of them are only paid expenses, so it make sense to have reporters from the local area.

It's hardly the end of the world if a radio reporter lets his/her football bias show. The main commentator, i.e. someone who is actually employed on a contract by the Beeb, is a different story.

Pish: 'local commentary for local people' is fit for Radio Borders or some other non-entity - this is Scotland's national radio station covering its national sport on a Saturday afternoon. If she sounds like someone has dropped a turd on the kitchen floor when the opposition scores and shrieks like a banshee when her beloved Queens net a consolation goal then she isn't fit for national broadcasting. 

3 hours ago, qos_75 said:

Nice seethe VT. Well played. 

Under the circumstances I agree that it  would have been better if she had been sent to Livi last Saturday. I think her style of reporting would have brought to life Morton’s completely predicable capitulation to the listening audience.

Perhaps, Sportsound will use her to cover Morton’s run in starting next Saturday.

Reckon she's had more than enough experience of 'capitulation' following your abject rabble tbh. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

Pish: 'local commentary for local people' is fit for Radio Borders or some other non-entity - this is Scotland's national radio station covering its national sport on a Saturday afternoon. If she sounds like someone has dropped a turd on the kitchen floor when the opposition scores and shrieks like a banshee when her beloved Queens net a consolation goal then she isn't fit for national broadcasting

You may have noticed, but Scotland is not a nation state. Therefore it is treated by the BBC in much the same way as any region of England.

Just now, JamesM82 said:

You may have noticed, but Scotland is not a nation state. Therefore it is treated by the BBC in much the same way as any region of England.

Pretty sure that BBC Scotland's London paymasters don't actually insist in Sportsound employing useless clowns in the programme. Nice try though at presenting yet more mewling, irrelevant drivel to cover up for piss poor broadcasting. 

37 minutes ago, virginton said:

Pretty sure that BBC Scotland's London paymasters don't actually insist in Sportsound employing useless clowns in the programme. Nice try though at presenting yet more mewling, irrelevant drivel to cover up for piss poor broadcasting. 

They don't insist on it, but you get what you pay for. How much money do you think is spent on Sportsound, compared with Five Live's coverage of English football?

The vast majority of folk who appear on Sportsound are not employed by the BBC. They just use folk who live locally and cover their (limited) expenses.

Edited by JamesM82

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Totally agree with these observations.

I can only assume that this 'tabloidisation' was a conscious decision, because it's very apparent.