Sportsound Watch

4 hours ago, lonewolfie said:

This. Just this. For the entire Sportsound mob to digest and hopefully choke on:

"Clarke said: “My quote (at the AGM) is ‘it’s not my intention to leave Kilmarnock for any other Scottish club’.

“That’s it. I don’t think I need to elaborate on that. It’s quite clear.

“It probably says a lot about me as much as what it says about settling in here. I came here for a reason.

“I said at the time that a lot of different reasons fell into place at the right time. Nothing has changed that.

“I didn’t come here to leave. I came here to do a job.

“I came back to Scotland for Kilmarnock. It’s always hard to look too far into the future but it’s definitely not my intention to leave to go to another Scottish club.”

Seems to be a distinct lack of 'I will definitely not...' or 'Kilmarnock will be the only Scottish club side I'll manage' or 'If I move to another club it'll only be in England' when he addressed the room full of Kilmarnock supporters. It's classic non-committal speak duly lapped up by the faithful as fact. 

Had the misfortune of listening to Sportsound on Saturday as I was driving and wanted to keep on top of the scores. Dearie me, is it always that bad?

Highlight for me was Chick Young saying Steve Clarke was a 'proper old school manager' because he looks serious in his interviews and then started rambling about how he used to be scared to phone Jock Stein. WTF :lol:

Based on a couple of their matches I've watched and some Twitter analysis pieces, I'd say Clarke is one of the more progressive managers in the league due to the tactical organisation and they way they press. Not surprising these dinosaurs on the radio still think management is all about shouting at players and games are won by effort and passion though.

Edited by lanky_ffc

After a listening 'career' going all the way back to Tom Ferry, I've reluctantly decided that enough's enough.

I simply can't listen to it any more. I rate Richard Gordon, and Tom English, and even Derek Ferguson's passion for all levels of the game, but it's truly awful. By all accounts Clyde is worse, so when I'm not at the Bairns game,  FotMob updates and tunes on in the background it is for me now. I'll read the match reports later to see how it all went down.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

After a listening 'career' going all the way back to Tom Ferry, I've reluctantly decided that enough's enough.

I simply can't listen to it any more. I rate Richard Gordon, and Tom English, and even Derek Ferguson's passion for all levels of the game, but it's truly awful. By all accounts Clyde is worse, so when I'm not at the Bairns game,  FotMob updates and tunes on in the background it is for me now. I'll read the match reports later to see how it all went down.

It's years since I listened to Clyde, but I am in no doubt that this statement is 100% true.

There's things that irritate me about Sportsound, the pandering to the old firm most of all, but for the most part it does its job fine on a Saturday afternoon. So whilst it has people I can't stand like Chick Young and Pat Bonnar there's people I do like, Richard Gordon and Willie Miller for example. I think the commentary is of an OK standard most of the time, it's the analysis abd post-game discussion that lets it down, but ultimately I listen to radio commentary for the commentary more than what some Journalists or Ex-pros think makes Steve Clarke a good manager.

11 hours ago, meanmistermustard said:

Football legend Mark McGhee has been sacked by Barnet. Expect to hear his unique insights on all things Scottish soon as the old boys club continue to hire their unemployed mates.

Chick accused some organisation of cronyism last week.  The brass neck of sportsound accusing others of that seemed lost on them.