Sportsound Watch

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Sportsound tonight with John Hughes btw. Absolute car crash.

Any club whose chairman or directors listen to this utter mania and think “that’s the guy for us lads” are out their fucking mind.

I could listen to this halfwit all night. He’s comedy gold.

He reminds me of Jimmy Calderwood a couple of years ago, before he was diagnosed with his illness. Calderwood was never off the radio or out of the papers, appearing utterly baffled that no chairman would touch him with a barge pole. 

Pretty tragic really.

I could listen to this halfwit all night. He’s comedy gold.
He reminds me of Jimmy Calderwood a couple of years ago, before he was diagnosed with his illness. Calderwood was never off the radio or out of the papers, appearing utterly baffled that no chairman would touch him with a barge pole. 
Pretty tragic really.

Genuinely wondered if the whole programme was some meta-joke when they started going on about “jobs for the boays” culture while giving Hughes an hour of air-time (having already aired an interview where he demanded an interview for the Scotland job the other week).

Apparently 95% of players who played for him loved working with him but the 5% were “bad apples”. Utterly delusional, his lack of self-awareness is mind-blowing.

Astonishingly sycophantic stuff with the wanking over Celtic and Deadco teams of old.

Hughes said that 'the SPL needs Dundee United'. He also said that a young Scottish footballer dreams of doing 4 things; playing for their local club, playing for their country and playing for one of the Old Firm*.

I've not mistyped that.

Edited by DA Baracus

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

He also said that a young Scottish footballer dreams of doing 4 things; playing for their local club, playing for their country and playing for one of the Old Firm*.

So it's true enough that he can't say the word 3?...

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Astonishingly sycophantic stuff with the wanking over Celtic and Deadco teams of old.

Hughes said that 'the SPL needs Dundee United'. He also said that a young Scottish footballer dreams of doing 4 things; playing for their local club, playing for their country and playing for one of the Old Firm*.

I've not mistyped that.

Shows how out of date he is. The 4 dreams now are getting to England asap, becoming 'a brand', having his own clothing range and playing a bit of international football with a country that'll help him  achieve all that.

Rob’s kinda limited to the phrase “what a save/shot/tackle/goal/effort that was!” Once you notice it, it gets on your tits.

His ridiculous insistence at updating us about every single EPL goal is annoying. I don't give a toss, I'm listening to Scottish football. I don't care if Harry Kane has scored or not.

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I've not mistyped that.

He's a fucking moron. A good coach (note coach not manager) but some of his comments when he was with us left me dumbfounded. As I've said before he basically whored Ryan Christie out to Celtic for buttons then talked of his immense pride at Christie pull on the green and white hoops all the while casually overseeing a complete collapse of his own team at the time. I might need to check out this interview just to get really angry about him again.

24 minutes ago, RiG said:

He's a fucking moron. A good coach (note coach not manager) but some of his comments when he was with us left me dumbfounded. As I've said before he basically whored Ryan Christie out to Celtic for buttons then talked of his immense pride at Christie pull on the green and white hoops all the while casually overseeing a complete collapse of his own team at the time. I might need to check out this interview just to get really angry about him again.

It's not really an interview. It's more that Hughes is the drunk pub bore with a story from the past about everything, ably assisted by Derek Ferguson, as they both get misty eyed and moist over past Celtic and Deadco teams, with Hughes seemingly having an anecdote about every player and team mentioned, butting in often with "Aye, but what about such and such as well" leading off on to a boring tangent about yet another former old firm* player. Ferguson talked about how a player read Italian newspapers in the dressing room, which apparently made the player pretentious and thought he was above everything, which gave Ferguson the excuse to go in extra hard on tackles on him and torment him. Hughes kept going on about this unknown French striker who not many will have heard of, Patrice Loko, being really great, despite the fact that most folk will have heard of him as he was a prominent player in Europe at the time.

It was succulent lamb in radio form for the most part. There was some talk of Hughes' managerial career, which by the way he told it made him sound like an exceptional manager with no failures. He tried to defend playing Colin Nish up front on his own in Europe for Hibs. He apparently unearthed Ryan Christie. He only ever spent £240k on transfer fees. And other stuff. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Hughes kept going on about this unknown French striker who not many will have heard of, Patrice Loko, being really great, despite the fact that most folk will have heard of him as he was a prominent player in Europe at the time.

Didn't he score against Celtic for PSG at Parkhead in some European tie - I think PSG won that cup that season?

14 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Didn't he score against Celtic for PSG at Parkhead in some European tie - I think PSG won that cup that season?

Yes. He mentioned that as well during his long ramblings

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Ferguson talked about how a player read Italian newspapers in the dressing room, which apparently made the player pretentious and thought he was above everything, which gave Ferguson the excuse to go in extra hard on tackles on him and torment him.

I was quite astounded by that, too, although I probably shouldn't have been. The player in question was Trevor Francis, who had the audacity to sip wine while reading the Italian paper in a bar after the British Cup Final, so Ferguson with the help of "Wee" Durranty set fire to the paper. That'll learn him.

24 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

An ex-boss of mine grew up with Hughes. Says he used to push a pram up the street all day whilst wearing plastic purple sandals.

Make of that what you will.

Makes sense.