Sportsound Watch

I see tonight's episode will feature John Hughes putting forward his case for why he should get the Scotland job.

I wasn't going to listen but after reading that... I still won't be listening.

I’m actually looking forward to this. I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone so lacking in self-awareness. 

His feature length interview on Sportsound after he left Inverness was comedy gold. Any success Inverness ever had was all down to him and anything that went wrong was nothing to do with him.

He’s an even bigger fantasist than Steven Presley.

34 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

I’m actually looking forward to this. I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone so lacking in self-awareness. 

His feature length interview on Sportsound after he left Inverness was comedy gold. Any success Inverness ever had was all down to him and anything that went wrong was nothing to do with him.

He’s an even bigger fantasist than Steven Presley.

He'd be hilarious if he wasn't actually real. I genuinely think he believes he's capable of managing at the very top. 

He actually speaks in the third person, ends his interview with "why not John Hughes?" 

Edited by RandomGuy.

On 2/13/2018 at 08:39, Monkey Tennis said:

You wonder if there's a generational thing happening here.

There will obviously be exceptions in either direction, but it seems that those of us favouring Cups tend to be on the mature side.

I might be talking bollocks of course, but if not, it points again to the triumph of a marketing angle that's been around since the 1990s.

Used to be that your season ticket cost the equivalent of about 20 games (when the league was 18 games). You scored if you got more than 2 home cup ties, the club scored if there was only 1 or no home cup ties. It was almost a trust thing between club and fan.

Of course, clubs didn’t sell nearly as many season tickets and attendances swung from week to week as fans picked and chose their games. If the team went on a downward gradient, attendances would fall dramatically.

The cut-price season ticket changed all that and attendances are more ‘flat line’ nowadays. Clubs get the money up front and regardless of how the season turns out that isn’t affected. The side effect is they done for the early round cup-ties. Forking out £20+ on top of £300 for a season ticket maybe doesn’t seem worth it.

So, yeah, generational thing in a way.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Who does Kenny MacIntyre support?

Would be good to hear some voices for the lower leagues from time to time aswell. Always find myself thinking they’re so far off when they’re on the subject, which is very rare.

I’ve half given up on the podcasts

I was listening to them on the way to yesterdays match, none of them had a clue about killie, even Richard Gordon who is usually quite good, hadn't a clue what he was talking about. so the chances they'd know what they were talking about with the lower leagues is practically nil

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He'd be hilarious if he wasn't actually real. I genuinely think he believes he's capable of managing at the very top. 

He actually speaks in the third person, ends his interview with "why not John Hughes?" 

We seem to produce these type of managers up here.

Mark McGhee genuinely believes that he should be managing one of the biggest clubs in the EPL, Steven Presley fancies himself as a football revolutionary and Gary Caldwell also believes that he is the perfect candidate for the Scotland job despite his only managerial experience to date involving sackings at Wigan and Colchester. 

The terrifying thing here is, you really wouldn’t put it past the SFA to hire one of these chumps.

48 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Used to be that your season ticket cost the equivalent of about 20 games (when the league was 18 games). You scored if you got more than 2 home cup ties, the club scored if there was only 1 or no home cup ties. It was almost a trust thing between club and fan.

Of course, clubs didn’t sell nearly as many season tickets and attendances swung from week to week as fans picked and chose their games. If the team went on a downward gradient, attendances would fall dramatically.

The cut-price season ticket changed all that and attendances are more ‘flat line’ nowadays. Clubs get the money up front and regardless of how the season turns out that isn’t affected. The side effect is they done for the early round cup-ties. Forking out £20+ on top of £300 for a season ticket maybe doesn’t seem worth it.

So, yeah, generational thing in a way.

Yes, that's probably played a part.

It's certainly a big factor in why the OF and lots of top flight English sides get their smallest gates for Cup ties.

I think though that it's crazy that so many fans of smaller Scottish sides - by which I mean all but about five - buy season tickets at all.  There's no need and it allows your club to take your custom for granted.  Most don't seem to amount to a huge saving anyway.

Once more, it's a triumph of marketing, by appealing to a sense of loyalty that is often misplaced and not reciprocated.

I thought it was just that the league is seen as a better way of getting into Europe and obviously that is the super duper pinnacle of football.
Last year, watching MOTD about half way through the season, the pundits kept on banging on about the top four spots and Europe and absolutely nothing about how, at the time, six or seven sides were still in a position to actually win the league. A trait that continued and still continues, in almost every show.

It's not just the cups that have been completely devalued, the actual league has as well.

11 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Willie Miller banging his favourite drum again - Scottish football needs it's biggest clubs playing their best football.  

Still no reasoning as to why only the biggest clubs can play the best football (nor any challenge from the other pundits) but he's still saying it, all the same.

He peddles this shite every week unchallenged. It’s infuriating.

The show has been especially poor today with Pat Bonner’s incompetence and Chic Young’s fuckwittery.

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

Sky Sports News reported Killie’s opener at Motherwell five minutes ago and we’re still waiting to hear from Pat Bonner or anyone else on Sportsound.

Pathetic.

They lost the line to Bonner which is why he never gave the goal when it went in. A few minutes later, when the connection was re-established, he did report on the goal

Edited by DA Baracus