Sportsound Watch

The Scottish Cup final is the best day of the season, bigger day than winning the league after weeks of inevitability.  Same in England, and the Championship play off final is a bigger celebration than winning the league.  The cups is what it's all about.

You wonder if there's a generational thing happening here.

There will obviously be exceptions in either direction, but it seems that those of us favouring Cups tend to be on the mature side.

I might be talking bollocks of course, but if not, it points again to the triumph of a marketing angle that's been around since the 1990s.

Is there an argument to say that say united went through and made it as far as the final. The playoff final dates are either side of the final, and if the players are 1/2 concentrating on the final then they could end up losing the playoff finals.

United will be wanting to make it back to the spl because there will be slightly more cash from being there possibly? Was there not worries about their finances earlier on this season?

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There will obviously be exceptions in either direction, but it seems that those of us favouring Cups tend to be on the mature side.

I might be talking bollocks of course, but if not, it points again to the triumph of a marketing angle that's been around since the 1990s.

The way the FA Cup down South has been devalued over the years reinforces this.

13 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:
On 11/02/2018 at 17:35, Hammer Jag said:
Chic Young giving us a detailed commentary of the snow at Ayr was mildly amusing. Even more so when he spoke of the wind ‘coming in off the Clyde’.
I had had no idea Ayr was anywhere near the River Clyde.

The Firth of Clyde. You need to take a trip doon the water.

I suppose people from East Kilbride aren't the brightest - Ally McCoist anyone?

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Absolutely.

I'd say it's been the main driver behind the bone headed sentiment up here.

It shouldn't be given the mon/duopoly we've had on the League Title since 1985! The Cups are a genuine chance of glory.

Wouldn’t say that at all MT.

I think the cups are brilliant, last few pages I’ve only been suggesting that with how bad things are at the moment for United and with no genuine hope from the cup, that the league and getting back up seemed to be the most important thing for some of them just now.

Just think you need to look at how much it meant to Hibs fans last year, Inverness fans before that.

I only think the cup is maybe slightly devalued if you’re one of Rangers or Celtic. But also think that counts for the league and just in general too, just because they’re so used to winning. (In Rangers case, were)

Is there an argument to say that say united went through and made it as far as the final. The playoff final dates are either side of the final, and if the players are 1/2 concentrating on the final then they could end up losing the playoff finals.

United will be wanting to make it back to the spl because there will be slightly more cash from being there possibly? Was there not worries about their finances earlier on this season?

If that was the case they could try and get to the semi, make some good cash, and then intentionally lose so as to prepare better for the playoffs.

There's absolutely no doubt that united were going all out to beat Aberdeen.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 15:21, Monkey Tennis said:

That's a good point.

Even in the silly, bald economic terms that lots of dafties have been seduced into believing are the only ones that can possibly matter, the Cups should actually have their status elevated for most clubs.  

I'm actually very glad that in comparison to England, our main Cup has managed to retain much of its magic, inasmuch as we don't tend to see grossly weakened teams fielded and suchlike.   For that we probably do have to thank the relative poverty offered by a place in the top league, as well as the fact that only one side now reaches the CL. 

A lot of the mindless rhetoric from down south is still imported here though, despite the wildly different financial landscape.  As we can see too, there's also an audience willing to lap up such rubbish.

Regarding the mindless rhetoric that folk lap up; completely agree, and may I put forward one of, if not the, main offenders, 'safe' standing. That this phrase has been accepted is bad enough (its absurd as it states that standing is somehow unsafe) but that the concept is being accepted is worse. Nothing wrong with terracing, as the crowds at hundreds of grounds across the UK alone each weekend can testify to.

How much does Alex Rae hate Dundee? He was screaming like a Rugby Park regular when Killie scored their equaliser and winner last night! At least he always amuses me with his slow deliberate speaking, when he tries to pretend that he can talk properly. Always fails though.