Sportsound Watch

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s not though

They know they’re not going to win it and they’ve got much more important games to be playing

Even if we take the specific example of Dundee United, the fact is that upcoming league games aren't in themselves all that significant right now.

They're not going to win the League and they're not likely to fall out of the play-offs.  A higher finish would obviously help, but there's nothing ' make or break' about it.

And if they could have got past Aberdeen, they might have had an outside chance of winning it.  Two seasons ago, their pitiful, destined for relegation side, only lost on penalties at the semi-final stage to the ultimate winners.

It's just a stupid thing people say because they think it makes them look like they take a mature, considered view of a long game.  In reality, they've simply internalised a daft cliche.

Even if we take the specific example of Dundee United, the fact is that upcoming league games aren't in themselves all that significant right now.
They're not going to win the League and they're not likely to fall out of the play-offs.  A higher finish would obviously help, but there's nothing ' make or break' about it.
And if they could have got past Aberdeen, they might have had an outside chance of winning it.  Two seasons ago, their pitiful, destined for relegation side, only lost on penalties at the semi-final stage to the ultimate winners.
It's just a stupid thing people say because they think it makes them look like they take a mature, considered view of a long game.  In reality, they've simply internalised a daft cliche.

They are to the fans though, even though it’s only a slight glimmer of hope.

And maybe, I’m just repeating what United fans were all saying before the game and saying that Dodds view wasn’t that daft as a lot of them thought the same.

None of them had any expectations going into the game and had just hoped to avoid a pumping. [emoji1360]

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

emoji23.png

I’m just saying that Billy Dodds opinion was echoed by every single United fan I spoke to during the week before the game.

It wasn’t a silly opinion at all. Whether fans of other clubs or United agree with it personally or not.

No, It's a very silly opinion indeed.

I get a certain 'find a silver lining' logic in saying afterwards that something else can now be wholly prioritised, but even that is unconvincing.

I always thought concentrate on the league  was a joke that people came out with after getting papped out the cup - or after you're drawn away to Celtic or Rangers - it's not something for serious consideration surely?

In any case, Utd's finances can't be in a rosy state of health after rattling around in the Championship, so I'm sure the income would have been welcome - and their supporters can't have had a season so packed with fun that they wouldn't fancy a good cup run.

If the league survived fine with Hearts, Hibs and "Rangers" being absent at the same time, it's a bizarre argument to suggest that missing one mid-table club for a season or two constitutes any kind of problem at all.

TL;DR - Everything Billy Dodds says is shite.

Edited by Swello

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s not though

They know they’re not going to win it and they’ve got much more important games to be playing

Football is the only industry I know that talks down one of its income streams. The cup represents one of the only chances of a  significant income boost to clubs.  You don't need to win it to make money out of it. There is significant money to be made by getting to the semi finals or even in Thistles case this year an away tie against one of the old firm. 

An Aberdeen v United tie should have been hyped up and been close to a sell out. Instead the clubs allow talk of more important games. Uniteds next game isn't until the 23rd of February. away to Livingston ffs. Better get your ticket early for that one.

I love cup games but they're being badly sold by football.

Football is the only industry I know that talks down one of its income streams. The cup represents one of the only chances of a  significant income boost to clubs.  You don't need to win it to make money out of it. There is significant money to be made by getting to the semi finals or even in Thistles case this year an away tie against one of the old firm. 
An Aberdeen v United tie should have been hyped up and been close to a sell out. Instead the clubs allow talk of more important games. Uniteds next game isn't until the 23rd of February. away to Livingston ffs. Better get your ticket early for that one.
I love cup games but they're being badly sold by football.

Absolutely but tv doesn’t help.

Had his fixture been Saturday 3pm the attendance would’ve been brilliant I reckon. Sunday at half 4 was a truly shit time for the game to be played and the attendance suffered badly.

There's three things at play I think. Dons_1988 is spot on that shite TV kickoff times have ruined traditional cup weekends for the bigger clubs that feature regularly. Our cup game on Sat was a 3pm, we had 1500 supporters there and it was a great day out - that wouldn't have happened if it was on the box. Secondly, cup games disappeared from Season Tickets and now that season tickets are everything, a lot of folk who would be there if the game was on the 'ticket simply won't.

Lastly - I think we have imported another piece of received wisdom from English footy that doesn't actually fit here - namely that the League is paramount to the exclusion of everything else and the cup is an inconvenience to be tolerated. With the money washing around the top two leagues down south (and the value of a promotion between the two), I can almost see that point of view, even though I think the FA cup down south is a fucking great competition and it shouldn't be devalued. But in Scotland? There is no huge TV deal outside of the CL and in so many cases, a good cup run could be the difference between profit and loss - or it could enable a better player to be added that could make the difference in a really tight league.  We should be prioritising the cups as no one league game will have such an impact on your balance sheet (excepting the Premiership play-off).....

'mon the cups.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

There's three things at play I think. Dons_1988 is spot on that shite TV kickoff times have ruined traditional cup weekends for the bigger clubs that feature regularly. Our cup game on Sat was a 3pm, we had 1500 supporters there and it was a great day out - that wouldn't have happened if it was on the box. Secondly, cup games disappeared from Season Tickets and now that season tickets are everything, a lot of folk who would be there if the game was on the 'ticket simply won't.

Lastly - I think we have imported another piece of received wisdom from English footy that doesn't actually fit here - namely that the League is paramount to the exclusion of everything else and the cup is an inconvenience to be tolerated. With the money washing around the top two leagues down south (and the value of a promotion between the two), I can almost see that point of view, even though I think the FA cup down south is a fucking great competition and it shouldn't be devalued. But in Scotland? There is no huge TV deal outside of the CL and in so many cases, a good cup run could be the difference between profit and loss - or it could enable a better player to be added that could make the difference in a really tight league.  We should be prioritising the cups as no one league game will have such an impact on your balance sheet (excepting the Premiership play-off).....

'mon the cups.

That's a good point.

Even in the silly, bald economic terms that lots of dafties have been seduced into believing are the only ones that can possibly matter, the Cups should actually have their status elevated for most clubs.  

I'm actually very glad that in comparison to England, our main Cup has managed to retain much of its magic, inasmuch as we don't tend to see grossly weakened teams fielded and suchlike.   For that we probably do have to thank the relative poverty offered by a place in the top league, as well as the fact that only one side now reaches the CL. 

A lot of the mindless rhetoric from down south is still imported here though, despite the wildly different financial landscape.  As we can see too, there's also an audience willing to lap up such rubbish.

That's a good point.

Even in the silly, bald economic terms that lots of dafties have been seduced into believing are the only ones that can possibly matter, the Cups should actually have their status elevated for most clubs.  

I'm actually very glad that in comparison to England, our main Cup has managed to retain much of its magic, inasmuch as we don't tend to see grossly weakened teams fielded and suchlike.   For that we probably do have to thank the relative poverty offered by a place in the top league, as well as the fact that only one side now reaches the CL. 

A lot of the mindless rhetoric from down south is still imported here though, despite the wildly different financial landscape.  As we can see too, there's also an audience willing to lap up such rubbish.

I do not disagree with a single word said in that post, and maybe ‘better off’ was not the best term to use. But for the good few United fans I speak to daily the top priority in the Scottish was to not get a hammering v Aberdeen so they could get back to league duty.

Like it or not.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I do not disagree with a single word said in that post, and maybe ‘better off’ was not the best term to use. But for the good few United fans I speak to daily the top priority in the Scottish was to not get a hammering v Aberdeen so they could get back to league duty.

Like it or not.

You'll need to tell them they're wrong.

Do it tomorrow morning.

Dundee United fans invent another pathetic excuse for their latest abject pumping; so a tragic figure who follows them as his 'big team' in Angus parrots it ad nauseam on here. You're fooling absolutely no one though.

Thanks for playing anyway.

1502716626880.jpg.cbaca9977e9c219de764bcdd764e1466.jpg

Dundee United fans invent another pathetic excuse for their latest abject pumping; so a tragic figure who follows them as his 'big team' in Angus parrots it ad nauseam on here. You're fooling absolutely no one though.
Thanks for playing anyway.
1502716626880.jpg.cbaca9977e9c219de764bcdd764e1466.jpg

Or

A pundit made a comment about something, someone said it was shite and I didn’t totally agree

And you’ve just went over the top as per usual and dished out another terrible attempt at a wind up?

Great attitude to have, don't bother with it you're not winning the damn thing.

What an absolute fucking vulva.

It’s not as if Dundee United are going to win the premiership so why bother trying to get promoted to it

For that matter why do Celtic waste their time playing Champions League qualifiers

On 11/02/2018 at 18:07, DA Baracus said:

It's a nonsense argument that has somehow become accepted among fans, much like how so many English fans have swallowed the shite about how survival in the EPL is more important than winning the FA Cup

It is. I can't speak for others, but although I didn't think United had a prayer yesterday, to suggest I wanted them to lose, or even that I wasn't bothered because the league takes priority, is nonsense. I don't think the cup has been devalued up here to anywhere near the extent it has been in England, as you don't tend to see even lower Premier League sides put out reserve teams. The equivalent of Aberdeen v Dundee United in the FA Cup would have seen the bigger side field a significantly weakened team.

If there was a choice between winning the cup and going up, I'd take the cup win every time. Not that we were going to win the bloody thing, or go up, but hopefully you get my point.

On 11/02/2018 at 17:53, 1320Lichtie said:

Tbf all the United fans in my work said exactly the same thing.

They’ve got a few rearranged games coming up that are already going to make things hard for them as it is.

I genuinely haven't met any United fan who thinks it was "better" that we lost yesterday. Although given the only United fans I have spoken to were at yesterday's game, they were hardly likely to be saying that.

I genuinely haven't met any United fan who thinks it was "better" that we lost yesterday. Although given the only United fans I have spoken to were at yesterday's game, they were hardly likely to be saying that.

Said earlier that betters not the right word to describe it

Also definitely wouldn’t want to speak on behalf of every United fan.

I’m sure there would’ve been a lot of people pissed off with going out, especially when it’s such a grim reality check as to where they are at the moment

My point was basically that nobody had any real expectations from
The Aberdeen game or cup in general and now they’re out they can concentrate fully on the small hope they’ve got in the league