Sportsound Watch

6 minutes ago, Public menace said:

Listened last night. Usually a big fan of tom English but he went down in my opinion. Rude and condescending towards Michael Stewart and acting like he was the only one who knew anything about Michael O’Neil and the SFA.

Poor show Tom

That was really odd last night.

I've never heard Tom English that rude with anyone.  I feel like there's more to it than just that debate.  English seemed really hacked off with Stewart before it even got going.

Strange programme last night.

I actually like both Stewart and English as they're each more thoughtful and articulate than any of the other halfwits that get wheeled on.

Much as I despise Regan and feel that a public beheading would be too good for him, I found myself siding more with English.  The problem with him though is that he gets flustered and bitchy when pressed, meaning that he misses open goals like Stewart prattling on about SFA courting of O'Neill being evident in August, two months before we got eliminated from the World Cup.

Strange programme last night.
I actually like both Stewart and English as they're each more thoughtful and articulate than any of the other halfwits that get wheeled on.
Much as I despise Regan and feel that a public beheading would be too good for him, I found myself siding more with English.  The problem with him though is that he gets flustered and bitchy when pressed, meaning that he misses open goals like Stewart prattling on about SFA courting of O'Neill being evident in August, two months before we got eliminated from the World Cup.

The point that Stewart made which I agreed with is that it’s all about perception.

It may not have been the SFA’s fault that things got leaked and it played out quite publicly but they did nothing to address it. They made no attempts to control the narrative, they allowed it to drag on for months with every man and his dog having their opinion. In any job under public scrutiny perception is always more important than the reality unfortunately, its mob rule.

For example, Kenny McLean’s move to Norwich. Back in August/September, the press got it leaked to them that McLean wasn’t going to sign a new contract. At the next press conference mcinnes announced it before it reached the tabloids. He took back control of the narrative instead of allowing the press to run riot.

What have the SFA done? They’ve allowed it to play out and just prayed that O’Neill would take the job and save them embarrassment.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The point that Stewart made which I agreed with is that it’s all about perception.

It may not have been the SFA’s fault that things got leaked and it played out quite publicly but they did nothing to address it. They made no attempts to control the narrative, they allowed it to drag on for months with every man and his dog having their opinion. In any job under public scrutiny perception is always more important than the reality unfortunately, its mob rule.

For example, Kenny McLean’s move to Norwich. Back in August/September, the press got it leaked to them that McLean wasn’t going to sign a new contract. At the next press conference mcinnes announced it before it reached the tabloids. He took back control of the narrative instead of allowing the press to run riot.

What have the SFA done? They’ve allowed it to play out and just prayed that O’Neill would take the job and save them embarrassment.

What would you have had the SFA do, to 'control the narrative'?

What would you have had the SFA do, to 'control the narrative'?

Talk to the press. Explain the position.

Say that O’Neill is one of a number of candidates being considered and they are waiting for the opportunity to speak to him.

As I say, it sounds like there are a lot of mitigating circumstances in reality to what went on but they failed to do anything about the press coverage. A more savvy organisation would be on top of it.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Interviewed other people?

But they were headhunting someone.

Whether or not that was the right approach is a separate argument from the one about how they apparently allowed this to happen, despite not being the source of the leak.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Talk to the press. Explain the position.

Say that O’Neill is one of a number of candidates being considered and they are waiting for the opportunity to speak to him.

As I say, it sounds like there are a lot of mitigating circumstances in reality to what went on but they failed to do anything about the press coverage. A more savvy organisation would be on top of it.

You possibly have a point, but a central plank of Stewart's case last night was the we hadn't made O'Neill feel sufficiently valued or loved.   Publicly framing him as just one of several possibles, would not have helped with that.

But they were headhunting someone.
Whether or not that was the right approach is a separate argument from the one about how they apparently allowed this to happen, despite not being the source of the leak.

Posts are advertised quite often and people are interviewed quite often when the employer already has somebody in mind in every industry.

If they’d done that all everyone would’ve thought was that he was a candidate, which everyone knew anyway, just going for him and him alone has wasted a lot of time and made it known that they’ve had all their eggs in the one basket all along.

You possibly have a point, but a central plank of Stewart's case last night was the we hadn't made O'Neill feel sufficiently valued or loved.   Publicly framing him as just one of several possibles, would not have helped with that.

Again, you can manage that.

You can say privately to O’Neill that he’s our man but publicly we can’t be seen to be putting all of our eggs in one basket in the event that it falls through. As a professional O’Neill I’m sure would understand that position.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Again, you can manage that.

You can say privately to O’Neill that he’s our man but publicly we can’t be seen to be putting all of our eggs in one basket in the event that it falls through. As a professional O’Neill I’m sure would understand that position.

Perhaps.  I certainly don't think Regan necessarily brings much political skill to such things.

The main problem here is that we've not been able to beat, or even rival, the financial package NI had offered.  In truth, why would he leave for a substantial pay cut?  We're annoyed at McLeish walking out on his nation when multiplying his wages by five.  O'Neill would have damaged his legacy at home for less money than he was on.

I don't blame him at all for staying put.

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Posts are advertised quite often and people are interviewed quite often when the employer already has somebody in mind in every industry.

If they’d done that all everyone would’ve thought was that he was a candidate, which everyone knew anyway, just going for him and him alone has wasted a lot of time and made it known that they’ve had all their eggs in the one basket all along.

I see where you're coming from, but we'd have arrived in a similar place whereby the guy we wanted has knocked us back.

If you headhunt a single candidate then they have you over a barrel from the very start. You can make them aware they are the preferred candidate but they must be made aware there are other options or you've left yourself wide open.

Perhaps.  I certainly don't think Regan necessarily brings much political skill to such things.
The main problem here is that we've not been able to beat, or even rival, the financial package NI had offered.  In truth, why would he leave for a substantial pay cut?  We're annoyed at McLeish walking out on his nation when multiplying his wages by five.  O'Neill would have damaged his legacy at home for less money than he was on.
I don't blame him at all for staying put.

No arguments there.

A shorter deal on less money with a bigger likelihood of getting sacked if he starts badly.

I’m amazed he didn’t come running.

Michael and Tom where a disgrace last night. No need for it to get so personal and irate. Kenny could have managed that time much better and not allowed it to turn into a playground argument.
Why was Commons on there? He offered very little as obviously he knows very little on the topic. And has poorly thought out opinions.

I didn’t like English’s approach in putting down Stewart but English knows most of what occurred. I believe that he has knowledge and Stewart tried so hard to trip him up which to me lacked maturity. His comparison of SFA and Rangers was wrong. English had the facts right in my opinion. English showed arrogance but Stewart provoked him all show.

I don’t think Regan is a good executive but the package he put together for ONeill seemed to be best in Scottish history. If he doesn’t take it then maybe that’s a blessing in disguise.

McLeish - absolutely not. He turned his back on us already once before.
MacKay - No. I agree he needs to stay in job he has.
Clarke - skeptical. Although doing great with Killie I am not sure he is right man.
Klinsman - not against this idea. He’s done well in International management and USA made a mistake firing him.
Alex Neil - not ready I believe.

Current candidates out there being spoken about aren’t exciting.

You're going to have to explain that one, because outwith Michael Grant he's as good as it gets in Scotland from an actual journo. 

Similar to a lot of the posts over the last couple of pages.

The sad thing is that is the best we have.

My view is that throughout this O'Neil saga he has been acting like the school bully, thinks he knows everything and nobody else was allowed to express their views. It's descended into slanging matches with lots of people.

It's been going on for weeks and I thought he was above all that stuff.

In saying that the other options are at least 10 times worse.