Sportsound Watch

Had the misfortune to listen to the discussion about Michael O'Neill today. Tom English doesn't have to do much to be the smartest guy in the conversation when Pat Bonner and Chick Young are involved.
Chick reckons Strachan should have been kept on and when trying to offer any argument against O'Neill just became a stammering mess desperately searching for a soundbite. It was painful to listen to.
It's worth remembering that not long ago he was proposing Jim Duffy as Scotland manager. Bonner seemed to think that Scotland are offering more money than Northern Ireland despite being told often this wasn't the case. This is probably as boring to read as it was painful to listen to but they really do need to get Chick to f**k.
Chick has a certain flair for making himself sound like a cretin that is sometimes worth a wee snigger.
Trying to be sarcastic about O'Neil, he had him walking over the "North Channel" rather than the Irish Sea and then immediately followed that up by screwing up the phrase "lies, damn lies and statistics" twice in succession.

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This is one of many things that drives me nuts.

Unthinking rubbish that you get people parroting indiscriminately not just in the broadcast and print media, but on here too.   It could statistically be quite the easiest place to go in the entire league, and some simpleton will say the opposite.

Spot on. These cretins and the cheating ex-pros are virtually unlistenable to.  Posters on here are increasingly using  the 'there was contact' line as if it was a legal part of the game to dive and cheat. The damage is only going to get worse thanks to them.

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

Chick has a certain flair for making himself sound like a cretin that is sometimes worth a wee snigger.
Trying to be sarcastic about O'Neil, he had him walking over the "North Channel" rather than the Irish Sea and then immediately followed that up by screwing up the phrase "lies, damn lies and statistics" twice in succession.

I hate to do this but isn't the little c**t actually right about using North Channel? 

The fact he wants Graeme Souness as Scotland manager should tell you how out of touch and ignorant this clown is.
Tom English chuckled and questioned him on that immediately. I imagine Broadfoot also rolling his eyes in the studio as he also mentioned Duffy. Souness hasn’t been or watched a Scottish football game in the last ten maybe fifteen years. Exception being the bigot derby. He lives the life of Riley down south and even admits he knows very little about Scottish football and the setup. He even sounded stupid giving his opinion on without Rangers the Scottish league will die patter earlier last year.

Chick Young needs to retire ASAP. He sounded ridiculous last night as his contribution was Eck who quit on Scotland, Souness who doesn’t care or Duffy whom I like as a manager but isn’t a viable candidate. ????‍♂️

3 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Ooh bugger. I'm the cretin!

Nah, not really. Common parlance would call it the Irish Sea. Him using North Channel is like the know all that pipes up 'Frankenstein was actually the creator not the monster'.  Also it means that even when he's right he's wrong which is how it should always be with Young.

Chick is a fanny who has obviously just picked up that nugget of info and is trying to look clever and failing.

He did the same a couple of years ago, someone had obviously pointed out the the calculation of points and goal difference etc was arithmetic not maths, so he spent the rest of the season whenever any one said 'doing the maths' or something similar he would correct them it was actually arithmetic.

Just a bawbag.

Chick is a fanny who has obviously just picked up that nugget of info and is trying to look clever and failing.
He did the same a couple of years ago, someone had obviously pointed out the the calculation of points and goal difference etc was arithmetic not maths, so he spent the rest of the season whenever any one said 'doing the maths' or something similar he would correct them it was actually arithmetic.

Just a bawbag.
I remember thinking he was a fud for that too as arithmetic is maths; not all maths is arithmetic though. But we all know that.

Why is he still on the radio?  Who is sitting there thinking "oh great Chick Young, I'll listen to him?"

The discussion was basically a good microcosm of some of the problems in Scottish football and the coverage of it.   Young obviously went into it with an idea pressed into his head - that the SFA are a shambles, the whole search for the manager has been poorly handled following Strachan being sacked, that they are only thinking about O'Neill and that there are other candidates.  When it was pointed out to him that the process isn't as simple as just going out and "getting" a new manager, that there are a number of people who need to have a say in it, that there are conractual issues to consider, he just didn't respond or have an answer.  He didn't realise that Strachan hadn't been sacked and thought the SFA would still be paying him, his ideas for other candidates were laughable - Jim Duffy and Graeme Souness are joke suggestions, for different reasons, and Alex McLeish is a very fringe suggestion.  He just didn't have anything to contribute, other than to make sweeping generalisations that he couldn't back up and stupid harrumphing comments.

The SFA may be useless but taking their time over the appointment is clearly not a shambles.  As noted, there's no need to rush into appointing someone.  

I tend not to listen to Sportsound and I don't think I'll be changing that anytime soon.

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Why is he still on the radio?  Who is sitting there thinking "oh great Chick Young, I'll listen to him?"

The discussion was basically a good microcosm of some of the problems in Scottish football and the coverage of it.   Young obviously went into it with an idea pressed into his head - that the SFA are a shambles, the whole search for the manager has been poorly handled following Strachan being sacked, that they are only thinking about O'Neill and that there are other candidates.  When it was pointed out to him that the process isn't as simple as just going out and "getting" a new manager, that there are a number of people who need to have a say in it, that there are conractual issues to consider, he just didn't respond or have an answer.  He didn't realise that Strachan hadn't been sacked and thought the SFA would still be paying him, his ideas for other candidates were laughable - Jim Duffy and Graeme Souness are joke suggestions, for different reasons, and Alex McLeish is a very fringe suggestion.  He just didn't have anything to contribute, other than to make sweeping generalisations that he couldn't back up and stupid harrumphing comments.

The SFA may be useless but taking their time over the appointment is clearly not a shambles.  As noted, there's no need to rush into appointing someone.  

I tend not to listen to Sportsound and I don't think I'll be changing that anytime soon.

Sad thing is he's made that gaffe about Strachan's contract multiple times before and nobody ever corrected him which means either the others on there didn't know either or they're fine with pundits spouting inaccuracies unchecked.

Bit late to the party here but I see it still being discussed. Tom English once again destroyed all comers in the debate about Michael O'Neill. It was embarrassing to listen to as there was quite obviously only one guy in a room full of pundits who had the required knowledge to properly debate the topic.

I see Black is playing for Tranent Juniors now. Only 32. Holy f**k what a fall from grace.