Sportsound Watch

I bet if you asked dinosaur Chick Young or even a more intelligent journo like Tom English to analyze and breakdown any team outside Celtic they’d be scared to death. They just don’t know the league well enough at that level.

My heart sank a bit on Saturday when Derek Ferguson, who was sent up for Brechin v Livi, mentioned our good point down at Cappielow the previous week, a supposed tough place to go. Interesting considering we were actually playing Morton at Glebe Park then. How lazy must this OF-centric c**t be?

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

a supposed tough place to go. 

Every single away game in any league is played at 'a tough place to go' now. It's one of 2017/18's new additions to cliche bingo along with 'the group' and 'there was contact'. 

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

Every single away game in any league is played at 'a tough place to go' now. It's one of 2017/18's new additions to cliche bingo along with 'the group' and 'there was contact'. 

Still not as annoying as the addition of "*action* did *insert player name*"

Edited by BawWatchin

Going back to the Terrace podcast. Their lower league show they produce on a Thursday is great. The guy Craig Telfer really knows his stuff. 
I doubt anyone from the bbc could even name 5 players from any side in League 1/2.

Craig Telfer and Shaughan McGuigan are both fantastic. Craig used to do the Tell Him He’s Pele podcast, some class interviews with lower league players, if you can find them give them a listen.

I absolutely love the lower leagues, completely mental at times and so interesting, obviously have a bias seeing as I support a club in the lower leagues but still. So many stories and so much to speak about down here, I think the average punter that supports a Premiership side would take an interest in the odd show on the lower leagues if Sportsound was to do a weekly one or whatever.

Certainly they’d surely find it better than regurgitated topics regarding how good Brendan Rodgers is and when will the Gers challenge again anyway.

Despite (because of?) the fact that I've never watched Motherwell outside the top flight, I am interested in these leagues - most seasons, the First Division/Championship seems like a more interesting competition than the Premier - but the lack of knowledge about them generally means that coverage is pathetically bad - to the point of being off-putting.

What would be to stop Sportsound, for 15 minutes once a week, getting podcasters and bloggers who are *actually informed* about the lower leagues to discuss these competitions with a bit of colour and insight? I always detect "a bit" of snobbery from "real" broadcasters, journos and football people about blogs and podcasts - but when their own knowledge/interest is found badly wanting and their own contributions are often cringingly amateurish, they couldn't really complain. 

I'd much rather listen to an informed amateur/hobbyist discuss a subject they love, than yet another ex-pro bonner*-ing it through another monotonous show.

*Bonner (Verb, Scottish, Broadcasting term): To talk semi-knowledgeably about one football team but when asked an opinion about another, to read aloud from the sports pages of the Daily Record (c.f. Miller).

It's actually a disgrace that BBC Scotland gives little to no coverage of the lower leagues, and when they do it's misinformed garbage that harks back to how a team were good in the 70s.

They have the rights to all 4 divisions of the SPFL, yet at most they concentrate on about half the teams in the Premiership, with the vast majority of coverage going to Celtic and Sevco. They have the fucking nerve to claim that they cover Scottish football, but do nothing of the sort. They're lazy, ignorant wanks who coast off of laughably tenuous Celtic and Sevco stories whilst ignoring the vast majority of stories in Scottish football

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Despite (because of?) the fact that I've never watched Motherwell outside the top flight, I am interested in these leagues - most seasons, the First Division/Championship seems like a more interesting competition than the Premier - but the lack of knowledge about them generally means that coverage is pathetically bad - to the point of being off-putting.

What would be to stop Sportsound, for 15 minutes once a week, getting podcasters and bloggers who are *actually informed* about the lower leagues to discuss these competitions with a bit of colour and insight? I always detect "a bit" of snobbery from "real" broadcasters, journos and football people about blogs and podcasts - but when their own knowledge/interest is found badly wanting and their own contributions are often cringingly amateurish, they couldn't really complain. 

I'd much rather listen to an informed amateur/hobbyist discuss a subject they love, than yet another ex-pro bonner*-ing it through another monotonous show.

What would stop them is that it would be an explicit admission that they know f-all about the lower leagues.

Furthermore when anyone pulls them up on this they throw the toys out of the pram and huffily point to a token piece of coverage (whic no doubt was ill informed, mistake and cliche ridden pish) as some sort of evidence to the contrary. They act indignant and as if they're doing us a favour to even have the name of a lower league team grace their tongue.

8 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Every single away game in any league is played at 'a tough place to go' now. 

This is one of many things that drives me nuts.

Unthinking rubbish that you get people parroting indiscriminately not just in the broadcast and print media, but on here too.   It could statistically be quite the easiest place to go in the entire league, and some simpleton will say the opposite.