Sportsound Watch

Taking their pick of commentary from a... 
Celtic Home or Away Match. 
Sevco Away Match 
Probably a farcical commentary from the Studio next Saturday. 
No need for blanket bigot coverage as Radio Scotland ain't a commercial Radio Station. 
Kris Commons FFS  [emoji38]

You also need to acknowledge that more people in Scotland are interested in Celtic than any other club (rangers is a bit of a special case).

They have to take that into consideration - up to a point.

4 minutes ago, shull said:

They could keep one reporter at Parkhead and despatch the rest to League One and Two matches. 

Why? They have the rights (and I'd expect the obligation) to provide commentary of a 3pm game. 

Why is this also suddenly an issue this week? They had the same number of people at Murrayfield last week as at Celtic Park yesterday but I didn't see you complaining and demanding that all but one be sent to lower league games. 

Edited by The Master

No need to pander to the majority at every opportunity as they are not a commercial Radio Station. 
Radio Clyde cover all the needs and wants of Celtic and Sevco fans. 
Let's have Radio Scotland sectarian free. 

That last bit really defeats your argument.

The BBC are still accountable to the population. I agree that a slight tweak in balance is required but I think folk make too much of it.

They could keep one reporter at Parkhead and despatch the rest to League One and Two matches. 

I thought they probably did have but I didn't hear any report after the game (although I appreciate our game finished a bit later). I do remember the other week coming back from Dumbarton though and hearing 20 minutes of chat about Celtic v St Johnstone, a quick interview with Derek McInnes and Lee McCulloch and nothing else from any other game, Premiership or otherwise in the 30 or so minutes it was on before Off the Ball. I quite like Off the Ball but I'd rather hear reports on all the games they have reporters at after 5pm when most folk are back in their cars than 20 minutes of Celtic, the league tables then Greeeeeeetttttings!

The choice of commentary game yesterday (Celtic vs Ross County) was a shit one. Hibs vs Motherwell or Dundee vs St Johnstone were both better games on paper, and indeed both turned out to be better games by the sound of it.

21 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The choice of commentary game yesterday (Celtic vs Ross County) was a shit one. Hibs vs Motherwell or Dundee vs St Johnstone were both better games on paper, and indeed both turned out to be better games by the sound of it.

Mind the days when you could choose which top flight game you wanted to listen to? It was only a few years ago they had reporters at each game and you could go online and pick whichever of the five or six top flight games were on that day. I guess they canned that due to cost which is ridiculous when you consider they continue to spunk cash on slavering morons in Miller and Bonner who offer up zero insight.

1 minute ago, RiG said:

Mind the days when you could choose which top flight game you wanted to listen to? It was only a few years ago they had reporters at each game and you could go online and pick whichever of the five or six top flight games were on that day. I guess they canned that due to cost which is ridiculous when you consider they continue to spunk cash on slavering morons in Miller and Bonner who offer up zero insight.

Not to mention mumbling cretins like Barry Ferguson and Kris Boyd and idiots like Scott McDonald

21 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Just because games between Motherwell and Hibs tend to be amongst the most entertaining in the top flight is no reason for the BBC to make it the commentary game you mad fool! Broadcasting one-sided processions from Parkhead to thick Highlands & Islands-based Celtic fans on Radio nan Gàidheal is where the real audience figures are to be gained...Also - if Pat Bonner is on, they need to choose a game where he recognises at least one player....

I've found myself listening to it less in the car after the game as generally there is very little mention of non-OF games - which wasn't the case even a couple of years back. It almost makes me hanker for a few years back when it was unalloyed Dons love-in.

In terms of the league - Celtic are arguably the least interesting story on any given day. They are better - so much better - than anyone else and so there is only so many ways that you can discuss run of the mill wins (and Radio Scotland have tried all of them). 

I've found myself listening to it less in the car after the game as generally there is very little mention of non-OF games - which wasn't the case even a couple of years back. It almost makes me hanker for a few years back when it was unalloyed Dons love-in.
In terms of the league - Celtic are arguably the least interesting story on any given day. They are better - so much better - than anyone else and so there is only so many ways that you can discuss run of the mill wins (and Radio Scotland have tried all of them). 

Yep.

I listened to the pre match on Saturday and the pundits themselves were just sat there saying this is a complete no contest and it's just a case of how many for Celtic no doubts on the outcome etc etc.

Fascinating stuff.

On Saturday, Charlie Mann was sitting behind me at Palmerston and somehow commentating on a quite different game from that we both appeared to be watching.

When Quitongo scored what was admittedly a fine goal from the edge of the box, Mann reacted as if his trousers had just burst into flames.  He kept bellowing that it was from "35 yards".  Even in less frenzied moments, he kept insisting that it was an incredible match he was privileged to watch.  The truth was simply that it was a decent enough game.

I know that enthusiasm has a place, but surely some relation to reality is needed.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

You also need to acknowledge that more people in Scotland are interested in Celtic than any other club (rangers is a bit of a special case).

They have to take that into consideration - up to a point.

No they don't ?!?!?!?!

It's a publicly funded "national" (ahem) Radio station. With a quota of sport coverage regardless of listening figures.

What's the point in Willie Miller? He's stuck in the past like the Delorean with a flat tyre. He was talking about Motherwell's pitch earlier and expressed amazement that it was in great condition because it was frequently shit when he played. That was about 30 years ago or something. He also said that the semi final line up was 'refreshing'. Aye, we all love seeing the same teams over and over.

26 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

it's not sounding like they are even close to talking about any other games

For them though, there isn't. They'd go on all weekend if you'd let them :angry: 

On 21/09/2017 at 19:34, DA Baracus said:

What's the point in Willie Miller? He's stuck in the past like the Delorean with a flat tyre. He was talking about Motherwell's pitch earlier and expressed amazement that it was in great condition because it was frequently shit when he played. That was about 30 years ago or something. He also said that the semi final line up was 'refreshing'. Aye, we all love seeing the same teams over and over.

In the summary of the Saints game, he said Saints now move 3 points clear of rangers in third place. We're upto second William :)

Have to say as I was parking up before our game today I realised how annoying Tom English is getting.  It's another situation where simply because he's fairly eloquent he gets to talk for ages and nobody wants to cut him off.  We used to get it a lot with Graham Spiers.  

English was holding onto the conversation as if his was the only opinion that mattered, rambling on some nothing point about Brendan Rodgers on the training pitch.  It would be okay if he had a point to make. I don't dislike him, but he needs to be reined in a bit, as I think he's getting a bit carried away with the importance of his own opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Kilmarnock took a bit of a savaging last night, with even the town of Kilmarnock itself being criticized. As an outsider much of it seemed pretty fair, but Kilmarnock fans might differ on that. Of course it being the BBC Graham Spiers had to spoil it a bit by saying a load of their issues are down to not having the lad they had on loan from Celtic in the team this season