Sportsound Watch

50 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

The bring back reserve football at the same time as league games call is baffling.

That was in the days of 2 subs (& no sub gk) rather than 7 subs.

Reserve football would be no better than under 20 league is now imo.

48 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Reserve football is coming back season 18/19 I believe.

40 minutes ago, Aidan said:

The development league is going to be called the reserve league but other than that I don't actually think there's any changes.

This.

According to press reports the Development League is being rebranded the "SPFL Trophy"... although it seems to be colloquially referred to as "the reserve league", presumably as it elicits a warm sense of nostalgia. Current regulations of U20s + maximum number of over-age players, being replaced by no age limit + minimum number of U20 players. It is unlikely to actually represent a significant difference, AFAICS.

As noted there is no chance of "second XI" football returning in the old fashion, i.e. when Hibs v Aberdeen was being played at Easter Road then the same afternoon Aberdeen Res v Hibs Res went ahead at Pittodrie. Barely any clubs would have large enough squads, it'd wear-out the pitches, and so on?

That's rose-tinted history-harking.

Listening to the latest one this morning, really enjoyed the stories from the old boys, some giggles in there but what about some of the absolute cretins in the crowd! One guy said he was a Dunfermline fan but owned season books for 2 other team, whit?? and don't even get me started on the Sunderland fan :huh:

Frank on latest live audience podcast stating "it's up to other clubs to mount a challenge in a one horse race." Aye cause we've got the money and resources to do that. Idiot. Could they not find an ex player with a decent IQ?

Some of the debate was cringe worthy. I do agree some of the stories where good.

Miller and Cooper where only two worth their wages in that discussion and Chick Young out there abusing audience members with his horrendous humour.
Sportscene try but spectacularly fail yet again.

5 minutes ago, MSU said:

Aye, the bantz of McAvennie = Top Shagger = Whit a boiy got pretty dull pretty quick.

Probably after the 1st time it was shown on Only an excuse tbh.

Frank McAvennie is an astonishingly stupid person.

I wouldn't ask him the time, never mind for his opinion on anything.  Why the Hell do we get treated to his ill informed, ill considered views?   It's ridiculous.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

36 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wouldn't ask him the time, never mind for his opinion on anything.  Why the Hell do we get treated to his ill informed, ill considered views?   It's ridiculous.

'Cos, well, Celtic and that.

Frank on latest live audience podcast stating "it's up to other clubs to mount a challenge in a one horse race." Aye cause we've got the money and resources to do that. Idiot. Could they not find an ex player with a decent IQ?

Some of the debate was cringe worthy. I do agree some of the stories where good.

Miller and Cooper where only two worth their wages in that discussion and Chick Young out there abusing audience members with his horrendous humour.
Sportscene try but spectacularly fail yet again.

Chick Young's patter was horrendous right enough, he made a joke to the Dunfermline fan with reference to Dunfermline being a Championship team, he received no laughs, he really can be a complete fanny at times!

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Because like many another thick ex OF player once he has squandered the vast sums of money, on the bookie and off licence,  he has made by being good at kicking a ball about he is then subsidised by tax payers money, yours and mine by his sycophantic mates in the media.

It's not a thing I think about often but when I do it makes me bloody annoyed. 

Chick Young's patter was horrendous right enough, he made a joke to the Dunfermline fan with reference to Dunfermline being a Championship team, he received no laughs, he really can be a complete fanny at times!

He seemed to get riled up by Willie Miller's 'Rangers fan' gibe and didn't know how to respond.

I did quite enjoy that episode though. Some good anecdotes and from a Dons perspective plenty to keep me interested.

Chic was trying to rile up anyone who supported or thought possibly Aberdeen had a chance. When he took a straw pole he actively was searching for Celtic votes as he couldn't see how there could be anyone who thought Aberdeen had a chance.

Celtic are massive favorites. Everyone acknowledged this but they stated it's a cup final and one off match. Through history we've seen great OF teams get beat in them. As a Jags fan our shining moment was beating Celtic 4-1 in the final.

I thought the episode was good bar Young, and McAvennie. Both total spanners. Even Frank was incredibly rude to one audience member telling him he was wrong.

The BBC can surely do better than these two clowns!?