Sportsound Watch

21 hours ago, mjw said:

It wasn't the 'we'll discuss that match later' discussion I was expecting.

Someone tweets in and sets the agenda for half the show ffs.

It was pretty funny. Sounded like McDonald was about to offer Spiers a square go in the car park.

Scott McDonald last night absolutely no clue what he's talking about. I'm not a huge Spiers fan or supporter but he was spot on describing and discussing virus of diving and deceiving officials.

Ferguson then backing him up but neither of them are intelligent to understand what Spiers and those who wrote in are saying.

Then Broadfoot tries to bring intelligence to the discussion and fails miserably.

McDonald saying "don't come to games anymore" & "deal with it". Spiers said it wasn't personal but he took it as such. Branded audience as Accies fans. Lol.

Great Stuff [emoji23]????[emoji23]

Scott McDonald last night absolutely no clue what he's talking about. I'm not a huge Spiers fan or supporter but he was spot on describing and discussing virus of diving and deceiving officials.

Ferguson then backing him up but neither of them are intelligent to understand what Spiers and those who wrote in are saying.

Then Broadfoot tries to bring intelligence to the discussion and fails miserably.

McDonald saying "don't come to games anymore" & "deal with it". Spiers said it wasn't personal but he took it as such. Branded audience as Accies fans. Lol.

Great Stuff [emoji23]????[emoji23]

I could see both sides of the argument but McDonald did himself no favours by getting so offended by spiers point of view.

He needs to accept that going down by choice will always be seen by many as diving. I think referees need to be stronger in giving decisions when players stay on their feet but have possibly lost half a yard of ground due to being fouled.

It's an incredibly grey area but McDonald's 'ask anyone who's played the game' attitude just puts people off.

I could see both sides of the argument but McDonald did himself no favours by getting so offended by spiers point of view.

He needs to accept that going down by choice will always be seen by many as diving. I think referees need to be stronger in giving decisions when players stay on their feet but have possibly lost half a yard of ground due to being fouled.

It's an incredibly grey area but McDonald's 'ask anyone who's played the game' attitude just puts people off.

Absolutely. He couldn't just have a civil conversation and see Spiers and the listeners points. I genuinely don't think he understood the argument. He saw it as a personal attack and McIntyre baited it as best he could. The wee man got pretty pissed off.

I saw the foul on the highlights. It's a dive. Football is a contact sport. His argument is weak. His perspective means almost anyone is entitled to go down as contact occurs all over the field, all of the time. The bottom line is if you can stay on your feet you should. If you can't then you fall and it's a foul, unless the opposing player takes the ball first.

It can be grey area but most of the time, as Spiers stated the fans aren't stupid. We know what simulation and advantage taking looks like. McDonald is a serial offender but he's not the only one.

Golden radio though. It was interesting to listen too. I wasn't surprised the players stuck together on he matter. Plus they where to dumb to see the more academic point being made.

According to Derek Ferguson, Hamilton's players aren't of SPFL standard, but would probably be OK in the Championship.

Edit: and according to Steven Thompson tonight is a "one-off game" for Dundee Utd and Falkirk.

Edited by The Master

If there's contact you are not entitled to go down, if you go down without needing to, that is diving.

It is up to the referee to decide if you're entitled to a foul or not.

I agree that's where we need to get to but referees are guilty of not giving fouls when players don't go down.

According to Derek Ferguson, Hamilton's players aren't of SPFL standard, but would probably be OK in the Championship.

The Aberdeen manager used the term spl managers in his beautiful rant against rangers today. Should he be punted for this crime too?

Just now, pandarilla said:

The Aberdeen manager used the term spl managers in his beautiful rant against rangers today. Should he be punted for this crime too?

No because he's not being paid to give an opinion on Scottish football. 

He could call it the Willy Wonka League and it wouldn't matter so long as he carries out his managerial duties effectively. 

No because he's not being paid to give an opinion on Scottish football. 
He could call it the Willy Wonka League and it wouldn't matter so long as he carries out his managerial duties effectively. 

Fair enough. But for me it's quite telling. The re-branding has been shit - and in the end matters not a fucking jot.

Did anyone else hear John Barnes on Saturday explaining why Lee McCulloch hasn't been named permanent manager of Killie yet?

He basically said Killie were ensuring they were completely safe from relegation before holding talks, and now that they are - talks are due to take place this week. Chick Young couldn't understand what he was saying. You could tell the Sportsound boys were getting pissed off at him.

Then tonight Chick said he'd been talking to fans in Kilmarnock this afternoon and no one could understand why McCulloch's been interim manager for so long. Cue an exasperated Richard Gordon shouting "JOHN BARNES EXPLAINED THIS TO YOU!"

He really is a fanny.

13 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Fair enough. But for me it's quite telling. The re-branding has been shit - and in the end matters not a fucking jot.

The SPFL isn't a rebranding though. It was a merger between the two league bodies.

14 hours ago, Slacker said:

Did anyone else hear John Barnes on Saturday explaining why Lee McCulloch hasn't been named permanent manager of Killie yet?

He basically said Killie were ensuring they were completely safe from relegation before holding talks, and now that they are - talks are due to take place this week. Chick Young couldn't understand what he was saying. You could tell the Sportsound boys were getting pissed off at him.

Then tonight Chick said he'd been talking to fans in Kilmarnock this afternoon and no one could understand why McCulloch's been interim manager for so long. Cue an exasperated Richard Gordon shouting "JOHN BARNES EXPLAINED THIS TO YOU!"

He really is a fanny.

He also interviewed McCulloch post-match and asked about six or seven times why he wasn't permanent manager yet.

4 hours ago, higgy129 said:

Anyone got a link to a video of the Macdonald dive? Listened to the show but it wasn't shown on the BBC highlights.

Agree Macdonald is a wee bawbag

Which one? He's been diving for years

4 hours ago, higgy129 said:

Anyone got a link to a video of the Macdonald dive? Listened to the show but it wasn't shown on the BBC highlights.

Agree Macdonald is a wee bawbag

It's at about 20:30 Here. I personally think it was a dive (by my definition of the term) and McDonald has always done it through his career, but given all the talk around it - it's in danger of being exaggerated into something that it wasn't. To me, it was a typical one that happens in most games - defender sticks out a leg, forward feels a bit of contact and goes down like a ton of bricks.