Sportsound Watch

19 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

He can't even pronounce Sellic players' names right either, example - "Eesa-goory"

I can actually envisage him saying that in his South/North Irish hydrid Donegal accent.  There's some other Celtic player he pronounces in a ridiculous manner but I can't think who it is.  Possibly Simunovic.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I can actually envisage him saying that in his South/North Irish hydrid Donegal accent.  There's some other Celtic player he pronounces in a ridiculous manner but I can't think who it is.  Possibly Simunovic.

That's the other one I wanted to reference but couldn't remember.

8 hours ago, Rednyella said:

Wasn't Jim Goodwin on just a few weeks ago? With the hundreds of managers, coaches and players in the game why bring the same guy in for a second time to discuss things we heard just a few weeks ago? Nothing against Goodwin he's seems like a nice enough bloke.

A novel idea...maybe have a new person in for some insightful discussion? Maybe have someone new every few weeks instead of the same dross on all the time.

They don't want to discuss other things though. They just want to talk about Sevco and Celtic. Scottish football is great with loads of interesting stories and talking points every week throughout the leagues, including the Highland and Lowland Leagues, but they don't care; they just want to talk about two teams in the main, with the odd bit about a Premiership team thrown in when they really, really have to (like Kilmarnock losing their manager for example). Even when they do discuss other clubs, they do their best to make sure they shoehorn in a Deadco or Sevco or Celtic connection, meaning that really, once again, they are just discussing the same shit again.

I've barely listened to midweek Sportsound since discovering the Terrace podcast a few months ago.  Thought I'd dip in to last night's podcast on my way to work this morning, and good lord, the in-depth discussion about Rangers really was tedious.  Jim Spence's interjection was amusing, but most of the rest is surely of absolutely no interest to anyone who isn't obsessed with Rangers?

I think I'll go back to just listening to the Terrace.  It's refreshing listening to people who actually seem to give a damn about football that doesn't involve the Old Firm for a change.

9 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

I've barely listened to midweek Sportsound since discovering the Terrace podcast a few months ago.  Thought I'd dip in to last night's podcast on my way to work this morning, and good lord, the in-depth discussion about Rangers really was tedious.  Jim Spence's interjection was amusing, but most of the rest is surely of absolutely no interest to anyone who isn't obsessed with Rangers?

I think I'll go back to just listening to the Terrace.  It's refreshing listening to people who actually seem to give a damn about football that doesn't involve the Old Firm for a change.

I got introduced to The Terrace a few years ago and really liked it. I've been able to keep up with it as much as I'd like to in recent months but they were always good for covering most clubs in Scotland to some degree. I think on a Thursday they also had some kind of lower league discussion as well with some fans of teams in League 1 and 2 joining in. If anyone is sick of the clowns on Sportsound and the week night podcast I'd recommend The Terrace.

53 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

The Terrace is really good, give a fair amount of coverage to all SPFL Premiership teams and dabble in the championship and lower aswell. Sportsound along with Clyde Radio phone-in is unbearable to anyone who isn't an Old Firm fan and even they must find it tedious.

Edited by irvine_buddie

56 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Sye-myoonovick or something.

He never says it the same way twice in a row - SYEmunovic, SiMOONovich, SimuNOVich etc

29 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

The Terrace is really good, give a fair amount of coverage to all SPFL teams and dabble in the championship and lower aswell. Sportsound along with Clyde Radio phone-in is unbearable to anyone who isn't an Old Firm fan and even they must find it tedious.

there's a gig on Sportsound just waiting for you ;)

Just listening to Monday's podcast.

Holy shit, this programme is a parody of itself now. Reviewing Dundee v Rangers (sic) it was all about how poor Rangers (sic) were, with everyone stunned that Dundee dared play.

Even Barry Ferguson saying "fair play to [Dundee]" is utterly patronising. 

And don't get me started on Kenny Macintyre, with his horrible whinging voice. He'd have been as well stamping up and down screaming "IT'S NOT FAIR RANGERS DIDN'T WIN".

They barely analyzed Dundee at all. It was a shambolic review on the match as it skeltered down to discuss the vacant managers position. As a Jags fan I know how it feels when your team gets ignored. It's nothing new and nothing will change. And they all wonder why the nations game is a mess. It's all very cultural and societal. Not one person who is on that show realizes it. Or guys like Spence know that if they say anything they won't get invited back.

The contrast with England is huge. MOTD they give equal measure to ALL teams and even have a lower league show.

And in Ireland the amount of coverage on Football, the Gaelic games and Rugby is impressive.

We are a laughing stock. Absolute muppets on the BBC and Clyde 1 is even worse. Haven't listened to it for years I was so embarrassed the last time I listened to those hammer throwers.

I got introduced to The Terrace a few years ago and really liked it. I've been able to keep up with it as much as I'd like to in recent months but they were always good for covering most clubs in Scotland to some degree. I think on a Thursday they also had some kind of lower league discussion as well with some fans of teams in League 1 and 2 joining in. If anyone is sick of the clowns on Sportsound and the week night podcast I'd recommend The Terrace.

Where do I find The Terrace?

Agree that Midweek Sportsound is beyond bad.

Lazy c**t me. Just Google it.

You're saying it's cool to reward a better team in the same division favourably, but not a better team in a better division? 
How does that work? 

If they played the season in different leagues against different oppositions there is no way of telling which team is better, only that one team did shite in a better league and the other did well in a worse league. To use that as criteria for a play-off makes no sense as they are being rewarded for something that didn't occur that season, but for their ability to get/stay in a better league previously. To use past season's performances as a criteria for which team is better that season is flawed.

The play-off system is flawed in the sense that there is no way a 4th placed team in a 10 team league should have a shot at promotion. It is rigged to make the league more competitive.

It should be a straight shoot out between 2nd and 11th from the top league. Or to make it fair for all teams to play equal amount of games, 2nd v 3rd then the winner plays the Premiership team.

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The play-off system is flawed in the sense that there is no way a 4th placed team in a 10 team league should have a shot at promotion. It is rigged to make the league more competitive.

It should be a straight shoot out between 2nd and 11th from the top league. Or to make it fair for all teams to play equal amount of games, 2nd v 3rd then the winner plays the Premiership team.

Yep. I've always said this.  Finishing basically mid-table shouldn't be awarded with a chance to play in the Premiership. 4th could finish 20 odd points behind 2nd.  There's no way they should be in the promotion equation.  2nd v 11th in a 2 legged game like they used to do it.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep. I've always said this.  Finishing basically mid-table shouldn't be awarded with a chance to play in the Premiership. 4th could finish 20 odd points behind 2nd.  There's no way they should be in the promotion equation.  2nd v 11th in a 2 legged game like they used to do it.

As I said, I pretty much agree with this, but it's a quite separate argument from the one about the 11th placed side in the top flight being uniquely advantaged in the play-offs between the SPFL divisions.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

As I said, I pretty much agree with this, but it's a quite separate argument from the one about the 11th placed side in the top flight being uniquely advantaged in the play-offs between the SPFL divisions.

I agree that's a separate argument.  I don't really know the fairest way to do the way it's set up just now.  What you could do it have the first leg with the Premiership side at home, so then they have to go to the Championship side in the second leg and make it a bit more competitive (going by the Motherwell/Sevco and Killie/Falkirk ties).  f**k knows.

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I agree that's a separate argument.  I don't really know the fairest way to do the way it's set up just now.  What you could do it have the first leg with the Premiership side at home, so then they have to go to the Championship side in the second leg and make it a bit more competitive (going by the Motherwell/Sevco and Killie/Falkirk ties).  f**k knows.

I'd like one off finals at neutral venues.