Dumbarton v QOS

We have a tendency to get overrun in central midfield when that happens. Murray experimented with Agnew in a defensive mid position last year and while it wasn't a disaster we don't look comfortable defensively - not that we look too clever just now tbh.

Either Turner or Murray really need to start in CM - given Turners current form a case could be made for Murray - otherwise what was the point in signing him?

That's what I was getting at. If you read my full post I say my preference would be Kirky and CT together with the wingers. But surely a midfield 4 of, 2 centre midfielders and 2 wingers would be better than what we are fielding just now?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I was getting at. If you read my full post I say my preference would be Kirky and CT together with the wingers. But surely a midfield 4 of, 2 centre midfielders and 2 wingers would be better than what we are fielding just now?

I didn't disagree with 2 CM and 2 wingers, I've been for this idea since the first game of the season against Raith. I just dont think Kirkpatrick and Agnew should be the 2 Centre mids as it leaves us far too open as neither are particuarly good at tracking back and breaking up opposition attacks.

These tactics have clearly been geared towards us playing the three big teams this season. Is he really going to drop them now for the Rangers game? Not a chance. I think far too much thought has gone into dealing with Rangers, Hearts and Hibs this season. Playing the way we did last season would easily see us take points off the likes of Livi, Alloa and Cowden, that we need for survival.

On another note, I always think it's disgraceful for anyone to leave the game early, and was disgusted to see so many people flock towards the exits after the 3rd and 4th goals.

Oh, and the dickhead that was booing Rogers for the third goal shouldn't bother coming back.

I'll "dickhead" you!

I can't remember the last time I booed one of our own, but after countless scoops that went further up into the sky than they did up the park, I lost it.

I stand by that criticism, despite his youth, making that same mistake again and again will not do.

As the QOS fan said above, their best weapon was our goal kicks.

Casey

(coming back since 1970)

I'll "dickhead" you!

I can't remember the last time I booed one of our own, but after countless scoops that went further up into the sky than they did up the park, I lost it.

I stand by that criticism, despite his youth, making that same mistake again and again will not do.

As the QOS fan said above, their best weapon was our goal kicks.

Casey

(coming back since 1970)

Kicking into the wind is nigh on impossible. And with none of the full backs nor looking for the ball to be passed out short then he had no option but to try sending it long. Not that I full blame Linton and DVZ though. When they got the ball they'd be closed down and have no options due to the limited width, also if you remember the goal Linton left the ball to Rogers in the left back position, his kick got caught in the wind swirled into centre midfield. Our mids stood watching it whilst Fowler took it down, took a touch and fired a perfect shot in off the bar. Luckily it's unlikely that he'll experience wind like that again this season.

Never ever get what booing achieves, particularly to our own players.

Whilst Nish did indeed have a shite game, he was no worse than anyone else. We all know he's not good in the air, the players all know he's not good in the air and the manager knows he's not good in the air so why do we persist in hitting long balls towards him? Just because he's big doesn't mean he can leap higher than reasonably tall centre back. We should be playing to our strengths, not aimlessly lumping the ball towards a striker who doesn't win much in the air, that's not his fault.

I fully agree we should've taken him off and fully agree he didn't have a very good game but was he any worse than Turner, Agnew or Kirkpatrick? I don't think so.

Whilst Nish did indeed have a shite game, he was no worse than anyone else. We all know he's not good in the air, the players all know he's not good in the air and the manager knows he's not good in the air so why do we persist in hitting long balls towards him? Just because he's big doesn't mean he can leap higher than reasonably tall centre back. We should be playing to our strengths, not aimlessly lumping the ball towards a striker who doesn't win much in the air, that's not his fault.

I fully agree we should've taken him off and fully agree he didn't have a very good game but was he any worse than Turner, Agnew or Kirkpatrick? I don't think so.

That's because fans always have their favourites. Nish is one of those players that the fans seem to criticise no matter what yet Prunty is always a favourite no matter what. Probably because Prunty looks as if he is a fan and always gives the impression of 'playing for the jersey' while Nish doesn't. But is one that much more effective than the other ?

That's because fans always have their favourites. Nish is one of those players that the fans seem to criticise no matter what yet Prunty is always a favourite no matter what. Probably because Prunty looks as if he is a fan and always gives the impression of 'playing for the jersey' while Nish doesn't. But is one that much more effective than the other ?

In a Sons shirt? Prunty has made 67 starts and scored 32 goals. He also has given me the memory of seeing the greatest goal I'm ever likely to see a Sons player score. I admit he's got gradually less effective towards the end of last season however.

Nish has made 26 starts and scored 6 goals. When he played with Kane (and on his début last season) he was excellent and really won me over. For the 6 months between his début and Cowden in mid January he was pretty poor.

I'm fickle and my favourite player is usually determined by who's playing best at that time. If Nish plays like he played for the last six months of last season then I have no issue with him starting, likewise if Prunty is deployed in Centre-Mid or plays upfront anonymously then I don't have a problem with him being benched.

Nishys (apparent) lack of effort and negative body language (along with the fact he's 6"4 and can't win a header) are obviously going to make him more of stand out scapegoat for sections of our support.

I'd start Garry ahead of both of them if I'm being completely honest mind you!

Highlights are up on our youtube channel

7:55 for Fowlers goal. Every bit as good second time around. As I thought at the time, the Dumbarton fans blaming their midfield for not closing down are being extremely harsh. Its a fantastic first touch, that takes him into space and he has shot before anyone has a chance to get near him.

Highlights are up on our youtube channel

7:55 for Fowlers goal. Every bit as good second time around. As I thought at the time, the Dumbarton fans blaming their midfield for not closing down are being extremely harsh. Its a fantastic first touch, that takes him into space and he has shot before anyone has a chance to get near him.

Excellent set of highlights. Really liked the zooming in on individual players while the team lines were up.

Amongst the multitude of sins that we committed on Saturday, I still can't believe that we made no attempt whatsoever to close down the cross for the second goal.

great highlights

unfortunately didnt make the game on sat as the wife was ill, and apparently its not ok to leave the kids to fend for themselves

having seen the highlights, the game looked fairly even...were QoS just better at finishing than us?

In fairness, I missed the game and the highlights did make it look a little more evenly matched than what I had heard from everyone I have spoke to about the game. Had been told we made no chances but the highlights make it look like on another day we could have had a goal or two. Hard to say and we really do need to improve. Can't afford to lose so many easy and simple goals.

Archived