Sportscene watch 2015/16

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are they getting that Sportscene is still thriving from?

It's never been more amatuer and has never openly put in so little effort and care. They have never given less of a f**k. It has the air of a show that's dying

Where are they getting that Sportscene is still thriving from?

It's never been more amatuer and has never openly put in so little effort and care. They have never given less of a f**k. It has the air of a show that's dying

It's like they are showing of how shite it is.

Most of this episode has been repeating how caring of Scottish football the programme is, of how much the people that make it care about football and how this is reflected in the programme... then you consider what's common for it nowadays.

Nice to see Uncle Wattie's been away a holiday, mind.

Somewhat anti-climatic - I was expecting that to last 1hr or something similar. Anticipating the narrative launching into a new topic, but it just finished.

I suppose we can forgive a bit if self-satisfaction and exaggeration of its own self-importance, that's standard in anniversary shows these days.

That said, you would have struggled to notice any clubs outwith the Big 6.

What does strike me is what a pale shadow of itself Sportscene has become - in terms of standard, quality and reputation. With the possible exception of cup final victories, I can't see us looking back in decades to come on the programme's recent years with much fondness, nostalgia or gravity.

Enjoyed it, pity it was only half an hour though they skimmed over so much and had practically nothing from the last ten years or so. Would have been nice to have seen more behind-the-scenes stuff, more 'bloopers' and more interviews with other pundits and ex-presenters but it was an enjoyable watch.

Enjoyed it, pity it was only half an hour though they skimmed over so much and had practically nothing from the last ten years or so. Would have been nice to have seen more behind-the-scenes stuff, more 'bloopers' and more interviews with other pundits and ex-presenters but it was an enjoyable watch.

What could be more funny than Hearts fucking up?

It was strangely appropriate to the current programme.

Brief, made on a shoestring, and inexplicably missed some of the best action, but nevertheless endearing and we all still watched.

It was strangely appropriate to the current programme.

Brief, made on a shoestring, and inexplicably missed some of the best action, but nevertheless endearing and we all still watched.

On the long drive up to and back from Inverness today, I listened to a lot of talk about Sportscene and all of the attached nostalgia on Sportsound and it's interesting as my memory of Sportscene from the 80's and 90's is that it was always pretty amateur and naff and by and large I only watched it as there wasn't much football on TV in those days.

Save for a brief spell in the mid-90's when celtic were at their comedy low-ebb and 'Well were co-incedentally at our peak, we never featured on sportscene much apart from when we played the OF, so it was never really something I had any fondness for. Scotsport was even worse with it's fucking ice hockey mind you....

The programme tonight tried to hark back to a glory era of the programme that didn't actually exist - and it showed. It was nice to see some great moments like Utd scoring in the Nou Camp, etc but other than that, not impressed.

I actually enjoyed it, I like a wee nostalgia trip, just about old enough to remember Dundee Utd's famous tie v Barcelona and it was really good to see that again, remember watching it like it was yesterday.

Also good to see the 'old' versions of our various grounds and the old fashioned terracing goal celebrations of everyone jumping about and falling over

Wooft!! Albert Kidd's goal, that's cruel on the Jambos watching.

He's coach of Adelaide Olympic currently 3rd but only 1 point off top place in the South Australian State League, which is really the 2nd Division. Goes by his Aussie name of Alby Kidd though.

I was a bit disappointed in the programme and I love a bit of nostalgia.

I suppose it was in a funny place as it was about a programme rather than about the football itself, but I felt it was cheating to concentrate on Scottish clubs' good European runs. Yes, these midweek broadcasts might have been called Sportscene, bit it's the Saturday night show with its domestic highlights and round ups that people think of when they recall it.

As others have said, half an hour wasn't enough and it all felt very rushed and crammed in.

My highlight came at the end when Walter Smith attempted to say "chagrin". It came out as " chargin' ", the thing you do to a battery.

Unrelated to Sportscene but the BBC actually put together a fantastic 5 part 'history of the Scottish game' series back in the 80s. Well worth a watch, interesting the scope of this (interviews with Busby, Law, Shankley, Stein, Ferguson & with plenty of stuff about Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United, Aberdeen) vs their present day coverage.

Someone's stuck it up on YouTube in 10min segments here:

Edit to add: I've just realised I already posted that link & mentioned this series earlier in this thread. Apologies for the sort of double post.

Archived