Alloa Athletic vs Raith Rovers

The 1-1 in Kirkcaldy last season was one of the worst performances I'd seen from an away side last season. Scored early then just proceeded to sit and and punt it long and hope for the best.

They were even worse in the game at Alloa before the Challenge cup final. Those two performances were the worst I saw from an opposing side last season and both were under Barry Smith so that's probably where the negative perception of his Alloa side comes from.

Hopefully it continues on Saturday.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team were on a sh*t run and their confidence was shot, no surprise that they tried to cling onto an early goal that night. Can't judge the team on that and when a bit of confidence returned they were more like themselves. The approach to games was certainly never to be very physical or to hit long balls. Raith were actually similarly sh*t when they scraped that 1-0 at the Recs, a team lacking in self belief and just trying to get a win to get going again.

The team were on a sh*t run and their confidence was shot, no surprise that they tried to cling onto an early goal that night. Can't judge the team on that and when a bit of confidence returned they were more like themselves. The approach to games was certainly never to be very physical or to hit long balls. Raith were actually similarly sh*t when they scraped that 1-0 at the Recs, a team lacking in self belief and just trying to get a win to get going again.

I didn't deny we were shite those games either, I was just responding to your post about Alloa seemingly playing attractive football. I'd take a hard fought draw on Saturday, but a win would be tremendous going into the Hearts and Cowden games.

Feel like this could really go either way ... Spence is bound to score (always seems old players haunt us ?), however if Murray goes Nade/Stewart up top and Fox plays like he did Saturday, or Moon is brought back in, id be fairly certain we should win this ...

Being Raith though you never know what is going to happen, or what Bert is going to do ...

We should Atleast play a high line and contain Alloa in their own half. Playing the ball on the deck is how we should play and not play a defensive game away from home, as we'll be crucified if we do.

There can be no excuse for not playing decent football on Saturday.

The plastic pitch is pretty much identicle to the one at Glenrothes and we have been training on that for 12 months.

Persist with high balls to Nade or aimless lazy punts down the channels and the players will get the fans backs up.

We should Atleast play a high line and contain Alloa in their own half. Playing the ball on the deck is how we should play and not play a defensive game away from home, as we'll be crucified if we do.

The best part of Saturday wasn't that we won, but it was the agressiveness in which we won. We were clueless against Dunfermline. It was the complete opposite in the second half of Saturday. Our whole team showed a great willingness to get the ball on the deck and pass it forward. It was fantastic to watch at times.

It doesn't take a genius to see that Nade and Stewart can thrive off the ball getting passed to them on the deck. Nade is like a one man wrecking ball yet he keeps the ball with fantastic control. Another positive performance would be very welcome indeed.

The best part of Saturday wasn't that we won, but it was the agressiveness in which we won. We were clueless against Dunfermline. It was the complete opposite in the second half of Saturday. Our whole team showed a great willingness to get the ball on the deck and pass it forward. It was fantastic to watch at times.

It doesn't take a genius to see that Nade and Stewart can thrive off the ball getting passed to them on the deck. Nade is like a one man wrecking ball yet he keeps the ball with fantastic control. Another positive performance would be very welcome indeed.

This for me 100000% ... I don't mind getting beat, as long as we actually show some desire and fight during the 90 minutes and actually look like we want to win the game at some stage ... I'm hoping that same fight from the second half and our passing game can be carried forward and we can build some consistency Vs the Pt Clubs this season ... Stranger things have happened haha !

Now now fellow Wasp To allow your top scorer to leave the club big mistake IMO . our gain Raiths Loss

am sure u will enjoy the Game sat Wilko boy

Do you not understand English? He scored 9 goals last season in the league out of 27 appearances, 4 of these were penalties, which leaves spence having scored 5 goals in 27 games, we released him for a reason, he's not good enough..

You're also saying it was a mistake us releasing last seasons "top goalscorer". Without him on Saturday( our first league game) we managed to net 3 goals, something we only managed to do 5 times last season in the league..

But..you having our "top goalscorer" now couldn't score at all on Saturday, I think we're fine with you having him as part of your squad for this season.

Do you not understand English? He scored 9 goals last season in the league out of 27 appearances, 4 of these were penalties, which leaves spence having scored 5 goals in 27 games, we released him for a reason, he's not good enough..

You're also saying it was a mistake us releasing last seasons "top goalscorer". Without him on Saturday( our first league game) we managed to net 3 goals, something we only managed to do 5 times last season in the league..

But..you having our "top goalscorer" now couldn't score at all on Saturday, I think we're fine with you having him as part of your squad for this season.

We released him for a reason. No you never you offered him a contract

As for the game, it'll be a tight game as they always are down at the Recs, Alloa do have a couple of decent players in Ben Gordon and Kevin Cawley, who i would easily take at Starks.

I predict our first clean sheet of the season with a 2-0 win with Conroy and Stewart getting the goals.

We released him for a reason. No you never you offered him a contract

From what I made of that, because of his age, we were due money as long as we offered him a contract with at least the same terms as last season..

Regardless, not one fan wanted to see him re-sign, we were all glad to see him leave. I feel like we've replaced him with a better player in Nade anyway.

Its practically impossible to compare Nade to Spence. Nade has far more experience across the board, while Spence is only really tested at this level. People are quick to forget that Nade played in England for a time before his stint at Hearts. The difference between the standard of the usual Championship team is a lot lower. His goal on Saturday and his control in general act as reminders for that. If he gets a run of form, the ball on the deck and the fans behind him I genuinely think we're going to benefit from having him at the club. Much like Tade at Rovers, people love having cult figures around their clubs who they can go to.

Spence is still very young. If he sorts his composure out he could do very well indeed. I can see the points Alloa fans are making. It is encouraging for them, but we're focusing on what we've got now as opposed to who we've had.

Do you not understand English? He scored 9 goals last season in the league out of 27 appearances, 4 of these were penalties, which leaves spence having scored 5 goals in 27 games, we released him for a reason, he's not good enough...

Leaving aside the fact that your claim Rovers released him has been shown to be p*sh, how many of those 27 games did Greig start.

Spence isn't a bad player, there's a whole load of reasons he wasn't really good enough for us last season, some of them down to not getting a regular run in the side - however the main reason was his own attitude. He definitely didn't deserve a new deal, and if even 5% of Rovers fans were disappointed he went to Alloa I'd be surprised.

If he sorts out his attitude though, and he may well do with a manager who plays him every week and believes in him, I have little doubt he can be a good striker at this level. Anyone who thinks otherwise has forgotten his first season with us, and the start of last season.

Regardless, not one fan wanted to see him re-sign, we were all glad to see him leave. I feel like we've replaced him with a better player in Nade anyway.

that's actually bollocks,I wanted him to re-sign and I know a number that felt the same

that's actually bollocks,I wanted him to re-sign and I know a number that felt the same

Ok, I will rephrase that, the majority of fans were glad to see him leave..waste of a wage. Did f*ck all from October to May. I wish him all the best at Alloa and hopefully he does well for them, just not this weekend, but I wasn't his biggest fan last season. I would've rather had Gordon Smith stay than Greig Spence..

Archived