On my way up to the football yesterday i stopped for petrol at the jet garage in Dundee and there was a guy standing beside it with a sign saying Aberdeen,guy was in 20s looked decent enough so i said "jump in mate im going there" First time ive ever piced up a hitchiker and i was nervous for about 5 mins in case he was a maniac but it turned out he was a lad from shawlands in the weege and had been in dundee to watch a band and they were playing in aberdeen on the sat night and he thought ill try and head up but he only had enough cash to get pished and try and pull to get a bed or enough to cover the cost of his travel so he thought ill try and hitch

Anybody else pick up hitchikers or anybody a hitchiker??

Me and a mate hitchhiked from Melbourne to Sydney. Ended up getting a lift of some German boy who's English was, what could only be described as limited. It got a bit tedious after a few hundred miles. I got fed up trying to speak to him and slept in the back of his jeep, while my mate tried awkwardly to chat away.

In the early 80's when I was @16/17 I would hitch from Glasgow to Kintyre every few weeks.

A bit of a bugger of a walk from the Centre to Dumbarton (best chance from there) but the lorry drivers knew me so fine.

Now I am oop North I would not hesitate to try and get anywhere with lifts. The Ferry hours are well known so you just need to time it.

On occasion I do pick up hitchers, just depends on how much bags they have.

I've picked up hitchhikers a couple of times when I was driving south from Aberdeen, back in the '90s. Both times it was a couple of foreign lads - Czechs and Poles. Unfortunately there were no hot lady hitchhikers.

I walked past a hitchhiker on my way to work the other day. 50 odd year old hippy-looking woman standing at the bottom of my street, which I thought was a fucking bizarre spot for a hitchhiker seeing as it is a fairly quiet residential area. Next day and there she was again, same time, exact same spot. Either she was waiting there all night or the stingy b*****d just didn't fancy getting the bus to work.

I did a lot of hitch-hiking back in '80s and early '90s. Covered a lot of western Europe, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia. Met some great people, saw a lot of places I might not have otherwise and if you didn't 'have' to be anywhere by a particular time, it was a great way to get around. I rarely had to wait more than a few minutes although I did once get stuck in Ardrossan (yeah, I know).

Never got offered sex though, which if every other hitch-hiker on the planet is to believed, makes me quite exceptional. Or maybe just ugly.

Archived