Club Colours - Do They Bother You?

As football fans, do the club colours or sponsors of your rival team affect what you buy (clothes, furniture, cars etc)?

Although usually associated with pettiness between OF fans here, I know it extends beyond that as I recently saw a friend of mine (Dundee Utd fan) refuse to buy what appeared to be a great deal of car simply on the basis that it was red.

I must also admit that I've found myself thinking twice about things which are light blue although it's never made a difference in the end. The only issue is that my blue waterproof jacket adds more blue to the crowd at such games.

I don't get it though when folk are e.g. refusing to have green snooker tables and fork out a small fortune to replace it with blue felt.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes no difference to me, drive a red car, wearing light blue at the moment, but I do know a fan of Rangers who does not wear green

I used to go to Fir Park with a mate who will refuse to wear green at anytime and once complained during a whole game against St Mirren as I was wearing a green hooded top, as it was 'celtic colours'. He also tried to kick someone out his house during a party of his as they were wearing a mint green polo shirt. I presume this is just a west of scotland thing, aye or is this guy simply a cretin?

I presume this is just a west of scotland thing, aye

OF fans are in every corner of the country (hence this issue too) and the snooker table example I gave was actually from Brechin.

I recently dyed all the water in Smoo Cave (up at Durness) green and some the Celtic supporting locals were down in their strips getting a photo with it all.

Not very often I defend the West Coast!

I don't wear green, mainly because its an utterly horrific colour that suits nothing except grass

Great for weather forecasts though.

Tangerine is an awful colour. I'm not sure if Dundee United have subconsciously influenced this since I was a child, but orange/tangerine is a no go colour.

I don't own anything orange, but that's a general orange thing rather than a Dundee Utd thing. Saw a Rangers-supporting mate for the first time in a while recently who has never worn anything green if he can help it and who spent the first couple of minutes after each round came back to the table complaining that he couldn't drink Magners anymore because they sponsor "them". Petty enough behaviour for anyone, let alone a 31-year-old man.

I don't wear green, mainly because its an utterly horrific colour that suits nothing except grass

Depends on the shade of green, innit.

People who don't wear colours because they're linked to the colours of a football team they don't like are almost exclusively weirdos.

Saw a Rangers-supporting mate for the first time in a while recently who has never worn anything green if he can help it and who spent the first couple of minutes after each round came back to the table complaining that he couldn't drink Magners anymore because they sponsor "them".

And you wonder why for years both Rangers and Celtic had the same shirt sponsor (NTL, CR Smith etc)

I do tend to buy/wear more green than blue. But wouldn't go out of my way not to wear blue. Thats just pathetic. Remember last season. I was travelling down to an Aldershot game and a Celtic fan called me an *********** because my Aldershot scarf is red white and blue.

As football fans, do the club colours or sponsors of your rival team affect what you buy (clothes, furniture, cars etc)?

Although usually associated with pettiness between OF fans here, I know it extends beyond that as I recently saw a friend of mine (Dundee Utd fan) refuse to buy what appeared to be a great deal of car simply on the basis that it was red.

I must also admit that I've found myself thinking twice about things which are light blue although it's never made a difference in the end. The only issue is that my blue waterproof jacket adds more blue to the crowd at such games.

I don't get it though when folk are e.g. refusing to have green snooker tables and fork out a small fortune to replace it with blue felt.

Don't think i've ever heard of a Celtic fan refuse to wear blue.

Growing up supporting Deveronvale, I refuse to wear anything associatged with the colours of our much bitter rivals Buckie Thistle. Therefore anything green is a no go.

It also happens to be a shite colour as other posters have already said.

I tend not to buy anything from anyone that sponsored Killie but that's cos I don't need anything from anyone that sponsor them.

On way to Partick Thistle game last year in Cup was sat near 4 Rangers fan off to their friendly and hey were drinking Blackthorn with one of the announcing that he fucking hates cider but will have to drink it because they're our sponsor!!

Magners tap being taken out happened in a pub in Ayr and was replaced with Blackthorn!!

Archived