Factors and building insurance

stuart.

Hello

Our factor has recently told us they don't want to factor us anymore as loads of people in the building haven't been paying the fees. Can they do that with only 1 months' notice.

Also, does anyone know of anyone who will insure us as just a single flat in a block?

Do you understand?

Hello

Our factor has recently told us they don't want to factor us anymore as loads of people in the building haven't been paying the fees. Can they do that with only 1 months' notice.

Also, does anyone know of anyone who will insure us as just a single flat in a block?

Do you understand?

Yes

also, check your title deeds you may have to get a block policy.

Thanks all, the title deeds make no mention of a block policy. Probably the same people not paying it that leave mattresses down at the bins. I take it the factors are ok to ditch us, yeah?

Thanks for help everyone by the way.

Yeah I work for one. Not out of the ordinary at all. Some insurers can be a bit wary about the fact other folk in the block might not be insuring their part of the building, especially for things like subsistence, storm etc but a broker is definitely a better place to go for a more unusual risk.

Who I work for would have only insured your section of the building, which means you'd need to supply rebuild costs etc for us to even look into covering it, as HSF says an unusual risk or a high risk does need to be dealt with by brokers

It's unfortunately the way things are going as a higher proportion of flats go rental - neither the landlords or (often short-term) tenants bother paying for upkeep.

I used to live in a flat in a converted school in the West End, and when I moved in it was maybe 80-20 owner-occupiers/rentals. Over the years it slipped to about 40-60, and it became harder and harder to get any maintenance done, never mind improvements. Even basic upkeep stuff was a struggle, with the landlords just seeing the flats as cash cows and the tenants not giving a shit because they were going to be there a couple of years tops.

Archived