The Great War / World War 1

~~~

In 1905 a semi-constitutional regime was established to fob off the mainstream revolt, which was arguably very similar to the current shadow democracy in Russia. Whether the simultaneous pogroms in the Jewish-tolerated belts were deliberate policy I couldn't claim to know but given the anti-Semitic element of wider, uncoordinated regional violence from 1917-19 I'd be sceptical though.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stay tuned to P&B where next week folk will be using Google to source their replies on yet more subjects.

Hazy memories of my History A level from me.......hence I've forgotten a lot!

Weapon technology advanced too quick for military tactics.

You had all these old generals who were used to commanding cavalry, musket men and the like suddenly faced with the new machine guns. They had absolutely no idea what to do, so continued with the old ' CHARGE! ' mentality they learned at Sandhurst in the 18 hundreds.

The job of a senior officer in the military is to keep abreast of the technology. Guderian, Zuhkov, Rommel, Patton and co all entered an army of horses and marching. They learnt and innovated entire new types of warfare. Generals like Monash and Hutier showed that it was possible to break the lock on thinking that crippled so many of the old bores in charge. Even the Royal Navy had undergone a revolution lead by the likes of Fisher, Jellicoe and Bacon to turn it from a Victorian yacht club into a technical and innovative branch of service.

The British generals were largely held back by their class based disdain for their soldiers and the structure they were comfortable to prosper under and retain.

Archived