The Great War / World War 1

~~~

Turkey lost, we won, so us and the French divvied up the old Ottoman Empire. Simples.

You rascal, J!

Simples it ain't! How was Syria affected? And Palestine?

My Dad (born 1928) fought in the Palestinian war of the late 40s. WTF was that about? He got a medal.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so sure about this bit...

Why not? WW2? Came as a result of horrific leadership in the LoN, about a billion German domestic reasons, appeasement, Japan. Not quite as simple as "reparations".

It's all ifs, buts and maybes of course, yet I don't see how a Europe with no allies and the might of a new German empire, the Austro-Hungarians and the Ottoman Empire would've been very kind to Britain.

You rascal, J!

Simples it ain't! How was Syria affected? And Palestine?

My Dad (born 1928) fought in the Palestinian war of the late 40s. WTF was that about? He got a medal.

The French were left to look after Syria, under a Mandate, and we had a Mandate for Palestine. After the Second World War Jewish "agitation" for a homeland increased, British troops were killed - King David Hotel bombing - Britain pulled out/rescinded the Mandate - and the rest is history.

Why not? WW2? Came as a result of horrific leadership in the LoN, about a billion German domestic reasons, appeasement, Japan. Not quite as simple as "reparations".

It's all ifs, buts and maybes of course, yet I don't see how a Europe with no allies and the might of a new German empire, the Austro-Hungarians and the Ottoman Empire would've been very kind to Britain.

I doubt very much that Germany would have taken over France. Think 1871, with bells on. France would've been put firmly in her place but could still have been allied with Britain. And Britain still had her Empire (in a much healthier state had we not fought).

I just think its a massive claim to say that Britain's involvement in the war was good for Britain in the long run.

The French were left to look after Syria, under a Mandate, and we had a Mandate for Palestine. After the Second World War Jewish "agitation" for a homeland increased, British troops were killed - King David Hotel bombing - Britain pulled out/rescinded the Mandate - and the rest is history.

Some of the Israeli terrorists who blew up King David's amongst many other atrocities later become international statesmen, earning the right to call their enemies terrorists. Which they and their successors do over and over and over again, as an excuse not to talk when they've got the bigger bombs.

Some of the Israeli terrorists who blew up King David's amongst many other atrocities later become international statesmen, earning the right to call their enemies terrorists. Which they and their forebears do over and over and over again, as an excuse not to talk when they've got the bigger bombs.

Their forebears probably don't talk much because they are dead.

Excellent site below from Royal British Legion. Allows you to search by name, town etc Has an interactive map.

http://www.everymanremembered.org/

Cheers for this. Was down at my folks' the other week and we were trying to check out stuff about my Great Grandad and also other relatives.

Site lists when/where they died and where they are buried, service number etc (Knew my Great Grandad's, but not the others).

Speaking for myself, as someone who has done the military thing. The things i lived through were nothing compared to those who served during both world wars, i can't speak for them but i do know that they would rather be alive than have some poem/ symphony/ light show dedicated in their memory. Let the bishops, the princes, the political leaders have their wee bit of the limelight, but they miss the message that those who sacrificed wanted to pass on, let all future wars be fought by royalty, politician and clergy.

Speaking for myself, as someone who has done the military thing. The things i lived through were nothing compared to those who served during both world wars, i can't speak for them but i do know that they would rather be alive than have some poem/ symphony/ light show dedicated in their memory. Let the bishops, the princes, the political leaders have their wee bit of the limelight, but they miss the message that those who sacrificed wanted to pass on, let all future wars be fought by royalty, politician and clergy.

Amen

The one mistake that everybody makes with things like this is judging past wars by today's standards.

This is key to how we view all our history, the other thing that needs to be taken into consideration is that we're sat here judging what DID HAPPEN, not all the what if's, but's and maybe's. It's easy to sit here with our modern perspective passing judgement. I'm not sticking up for what's happened, there are arguments for and against certain actions and I've got my own view on some of them but it was a different time with different morals.

I wonderwhat will be made of the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns in 100 years?

That they were a colossal waste of life and money that just served to destabilise both regions.

Just the same as they're viewed the now, really.

I doubt very much that Germany would have taken over France. Think 1871, with bells on. France would've been put firmly in her place but could still have been allied with Britain. And Britain still had her Empire (in a much healthier state had we not fought).

I just think its a massive claim to say that Britain's involvement in the war was good for Britain in the long run.

It's a bold claim, of course. I can't say I think the Kaiser was happy to just humiliate France at that time though in the manner of 1871, if they weren't occupied they'd be a shell of a nation not worth much to anybody. It's all hypothetical though of course - not the part of history I enjoy, where it's all guesswork and evidence giving you a million different answers and viewpoints. There is no right answer - and I think that when we're looking back, 100 years on, the British decision to go to war in a completely different environment to the one we enjoy now can't be justifiably criticised. There may not have been a bid bad bogeyman in the form of Hitler but there was still a very real threat. It could've been left but then the Chamberlain cabinet thought the same of Hitler himself fifteen years later.

The Empire needed to die, it's just a shame it took pointless deaths of Empire soldiers to do it. If it wasn't that, it'd have been something else, I guess.

It's a bold claim, of course. I can't say I think the Kaiser was happy to just humiliate France at that time though in the manner of 1871, if they weren't occupied they'd be a shell of a nation not worth much to anybody. It's all hypothetical though of course - not the part of history I enjoy, where it's all guesswork and evidence giving you a million different answers and viewpoints. There is no right answer - and I think that when we're looking back, 100 years on, the British decision to go to war in a completely different environment to the one we enjoy now can't be justifiably criticised. There may not have been a bid bad bogeyman in the form of Hitler but there was still a very real threat. It could've been left but then the Chamberlain cabinet thought the same of Hitler himself fifteen years later.

The Empire needed to die, it's just a shame it took pointless deaths of Empire soldiers to do it. If it wasn't that, it'd have been something else, I guess.

I quite enjoy "What if" history, you can go off at all sort of wild tangents.

For instance - what if the American Revolution had never happened? What if the European powers - the UK, France, The Netherlands, the Spaniards and the Portugese still held their American possessions? What if the Great War had started in the Americas, rather than Europe, and what if the French had allied with the Germans to knock out the British fleet? What if Britain had had to sue for peace - because they were being starved out, similar to what happened to the Germans in the "real" Great War, and lost their African & American colonies to the French, Germans & Spanish? Would Oswald Moseley have become our Adolf Hitler

Archived