The Great War / World War 1

~~~

A lot of media attention as you can imagine due to the centenary.

I find it strange though despite all the attention, the one thing they never mention is the reasons why we went to war, what was achieved from it, the justifications for it etc..

My knowledge of the war is almost none excising. I know about trenches, but not much else.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the one thing they never mention is the reasons why we went to war, what was achieved from it, the justifications for it etc..

Officially the violation of Belgian neutrality by the Germans gave the UK the reason to side with France.

Germany faced war with Russia and France so thought the best plan was to knock France out the war quickly then face Russias huge army. To do this they took a gamble and pushed most of their army onto one flank, the West and pushed the army through Belgium to skirt the French fortresses.

When Belgium was invaded the UK could act against Germany with a real reason, however the strategic goal was to prevent Germany hegemony on the continent.

You can write books on this topic and few will agree on most details.

Guest The Phoenix

It wasn't that great at the time.

Somewhat of an entrenched view, Sergeant.

As your superior officer, I suggest you buck up your ideas.

A lot of media attention as you can imagine due to the centenary.

I find it strange though despite all the attention, the one thing they never mention is the reasons why we went to war, what was achieved from it, the justifications for it etc..

My knowledge of the war is almost none excising. I know about trenches, but not much else.

There's been an interesting debate recently by two fairly right-wing historians.

Max Hastings thinks Blackadder is ruining our children's education and that the Germans were just as much to blame for the First World War as they were for the Second.

Niall Ferguson disagrees - and reckons it was the biggest error in modern history for Britain to go to war.

Personally, I'm with Baldrick!

Britain had an Empire and Germany were building an Empire.Russia was bulding an army that would threaten all of Europe.Austro-Hungary was hanging on Germanys coat tails and behaving like a super power and France had territories won in previous wars that Germany wanted back.There are a lot of other things that created a perfect storm and a War that no one really wanted couldn't be stopped.

The outcome of the war was a list of punishments on Germany that led to the same thing happening again 20 years later.

Britain had an Empire and Germany were building an Empire.Russia was bulding an army that would threaten all of Europe.Austro-Hungary was hanging on Germanys coat tails and behaving like a super power and France had territories won in previous wars that Germany wanted back.There are a lot of other things that created a perfect storm and a War that no one really wanted couldn't be stopped.

The outcome of the war was a list of punishments on Germany that led to the same thing happening again 20 years later.

Russia was part of the Entente Cordiale with France and Britain. She was also desperately close to Revolution (which came in 1917) due to the utter ineptitude of the Tsar.

Archived