Coming Out - American Style

In America, admitting you're an atheist is "coming out".

To be honest, it must be much more difficult to admit you are an atheist in the US where "God Loves America" is almost the national slogan. Given that P&B seems to have quite an atheist representation, would you be brave enough to come out knowing that you could be in line for retaliation from the rednecks? Or would you just go along with the rest of the atheist population, just saying the right things in the right places?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In America, admitting you're an atheist is "coming out".

To be honest, it must be much more difficult to admit you are an atheist in the US where "God Loves America" is almost the national slogan. Given that P&B seems to have quite an atheist representation, would you be brave enough to come out knowing that you could be in line for retaliation from the rednecks? Or would you just go along with the rest of the atheist population, just saying the right things in the right places?

It's almost the reverse here (by here I mean P&B). Some of the atheists on here can be pretty harsh and judgemental on the religious minority. I'm much more of a "believe what you want to believe, it's nothing to do with me" kinda guy. Unless they're chapping at my door of course, then you can f**k right off.

I'd just say I was Muslim to see what their response was.

Nah, seriously, I'd openly admit to atheism - it's the best way to break the "if everyone else thinks Jesus / God exists then it must be true" mentality.

Atheist TV......"We are envisioning a lot of different content from many different atheist content creators,” said Dave Muscato, American Atheists’ director of communications. “We are hoping to sign on many other atheists who create videos currently on YouTube and other places.”

Reaction from the Stanford crowd was enthusiastic; a few began to applaud and a ripple of discussion buzzed through the room after Silverman’s announcement. Tom Manger, an atheist from Pleasanton, Calif., asked Silverman whether he considered creating an atheist radio channel. Manger said he has a playlist of more than 1,000 songs that are atheist in theme, nature or origin."

Anyone know any?

All the more ironic when you find out a lot of the founding fathers of the US were starkly anti-religious considering the era they lived in. The “founded as a Christian country” thing’s just bullshit propagated by the evangelical religious right.

The real truth’s closer to this…

http://freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers.html

f**k them. I would 'come out' as someone who thinks (and indeed knows) that religion is a bag of shite. Folk of course can believe what they want, but religion should absolutely be fought in terms of influence (e.g. teaching of certain things in schools*, government policy etc). I have no issue saying that you have to be a bit of a tit to be religious, given how stupendously ridiculous it is. I also have a massive issue of swearing on the bible. What's the point in that. I'd rather swear on the Star Wars annual I have. At least that would mean something to me.

I think a large swathe of Americans are religious in the sense that they believe in a god and thank god for things but that's about the extent of it.

I also suspect that there is a larger number of people who are atheist but just don't want to say so in order to avoid hassle.

I also strongly suspect that Obama isn't religious, but of course could never 'admit' this when running for any kind of office.

*I don't not teaching what religion is, i.e. what different religions believe, but it should be a subject kids can pick, not one they have to attend.

Atheist TV......"We are envisioning a lot of different content from many different atheist content creators,” said Dave Muscato, American Atheists’ director of communications. “We are hoping to sign on many other atheists who create videos currently on YouTube and other places.”

Reaction from the Stanford crowd was enthusiastic; a few began to applaud and a ripple of discussion buzzed through the room after Silverman’s announcement. Tom Manger, an atheist from Pleasanton, Calif., asked Silverman whether he considered creating an atheist radio channel. Manger said he has a playlist of more than 1,000 songs that are atheist in theme, nature or origin."

Anyone know any?

Anyone know any?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zRPiM3VMZw

Atheist TV......"We are envisioning a lot of different content from many different atheist content creators, said Dave Muscato, American Atheists director of communications. We are hoping to sign on many other atheists who create videos currently on YouTube and other places.

Reaction from the Stanford crowd was enthusiastic; a few began to applaud and a ripple of discussion buzzed through the room after Silvermans announcement. Tom Manger, an atheist from Pleasanton, Calif., asked Silverman whether he considered creating an atheist radio channel. Manger said he has a playlist of more than 1,000 songs that are atheist in theme, nature or origin."

Anyone know any?

Empty Sky - SLF

Anyone know any?

The group Bad Religion have penned a few over the years, the Dead Kennedys, Crass mainly punk bands but then again its mainly punk bands i listen to.

Anyone know any?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVFtzFqQGaE

"But I'm not a slave... To a God... That doesn't exiiiiiiiist!!!"

Good call! Not heard that song in ages. In fact not heard of Marilyn Manson in ages? Is he dead? Was he ever alive?

It's almost the reverse here (by here I mean P&B). Some of the atheists on here can be pretty harsh and judgemental on the religious minority. I'm much more of a "believe what you want to believe, it's nothing to do with me" kinda guy. Unless they're chapping at my door of course, then you can f**k right off.

The problem is that there's no such thing in the UK as "it's nothing to do with me". Religion has a massive influence on public society. If it was confined solely to homes and churches then I'd agree with you. But it's not.

It's as if American's are 3 steps behind at all times in the evolution process of the humankind species. They may be much more technologically advanced than most, but as a general rule, they seem to be a bit backwards. Not all obviously.

That article is absolutely batshit mental. Even more inexplicable is a love of God and a love of firearms make you a good American.

bible-and-gun.jpg

You need to be able to shoot the atheists, surely?

Archived