Raith Rovers v Dumbarton

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we kick off the new season with a game that both teams will fancy taking all 3 points. There could be a couple of injury doubts for Sons and with our "friendly" against Clydebank coming up on Wednesday hopefully we won't pick up any more injuries. It will be interesting to see what Murray goes for, I don't think anyone has been impressed with our style so far but perhaps this will change now that we're into the serious stuff. There are only two things I hope we don't do, 1 being do not play Nish up front on his own and 2 being do not play Bryan Prunty in midfield. Archie Campbell deserves a start I feel, looked lively any time he's come on and I think a partnership of Nish or Fleming with Campbell will cause problems for teams.

Anyway, looking forward to going and delighted that we'll be in the railway stand at Starks, should give us a better view of the game. It'd be nice to win but opening day wins aren't really our thing, I'd settle for the point.

Prediction: Raith 2 - Dumbarton 2. Campbell and Megginson for Sons, Glen brace for Rovers.

I share your reservations about the strange experiments that Murrinho occasionally foists on us, but I'm reassured by the straight fact that whatever managerial aspirations he has are directly dependent on DFC performing and getting results. We have become habitual slow starters and it would be nice to break that habit for once.

A lot hinges on how he and Beuzelin mesh, and I'm really hoping hoping that any attempt at 'football by clipboard' loses out to playing guys in their positions to straightforward and clear instructions.

Speak for yourself. The Nishy Waltz, Aggie Tango and Lee Mair Slalom beg to differ.

Mair has some issues if he's bringing skis to the other boys' dance night.....

We need to make changes after the Brechin game. Prunty playing as an attacking midfielder doesn't work and he has absolutely no natural understanding with Nish. They both looked poor in the first half on Saturday.

I'd expect Jordan to start if he's fit. I'd also be very tempted to start Archie Campbell after a very good 2nd half display. No reason why we can't take all 3 points but I think it'll be close. 2-1 Sons for me.

If losing this game helps push Murray out the door then I think I would settle for a nice 3-0 for Dumbarton.

As long as it's your Murray and not ours.

If our Murray does very well this season, we would surely lose him to a much bigger team.

If yours does badly, well..................

I've stuck a few bets on Dumbarton just in case it all goes pear-shaped on Saturday. 11/5 the away win, 4/1 Dumbarton HT and FT and 50/1 on a 4-2 Dumbarton win.

Hopefully I lose my money.

A belated birthday night out for me on Saturday. Drinks will be had, a few goals will be scored (hopefully more in favour of the sons) and with a bit of good fortune we may actually win the first game of the season.

In saying that, last time I planned a birthday game/day, was when Airdrie humped us on the opening day of the season 2010 or 2011 I think. Was actually sick on the bus journey there (having not had a drop of alcohol). Great day out that was...

Edit to add: Due to Raith losing tonight and all the negativity surrounding them, the game is destined to be tragically one sided and end in a heavy defeat for us.

Archived