Raith Rovers v Dumbarton

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On seeing the free kick again, I actually think Linton being on the line done more harm than good, it seems it put Rodgers off throwing himself at it.

Aye, I seen it from another angle on twitter and I reckon if linton wasn't there he would have saved it, il try find it.

Edit -

From a 'keepers point of view I hate having someone on the line and would never have a defender there. It ruins your confidence when your going to the ball as your afraid of clashing heads with the defender. If Linton wasn't on the line then I think he might have saved it.

Beige socks though. I thought I was just angry from yesterday but no they still look horrific. #SaveourSocks

Impressive highlights package. Really professional.

Looks like we played some nice stuff first half. Second half Nade looks unplayable.

Linton and Rogers definitely get in each other's way at the free kick. Muppets.

Obviously the highlights don't tell the full story, but it looks like we fell apart second half.

Not liking that new Sons away strip (or the ridiculous socks), looks like a training top. Minging.

I wholly disappointing match but none of it surprising. Murray has evolved into the experimental football manager, trying out things for the sake of trying things out, just to see how it goes. Yesterday we lined up with our 3 central midfielders all playing and Mitch Megginson was thrown in there somewhere and I assume they were meant to resemble some sort of midfield, the shape of that I'm yet to figure out but it was clear it didn't work. We have two good wingers for this level in Mitch and Gilhaney, I find it madness that we're shoe-horning Kirkpatrick, Agnew and Turner into an extremely narrow midfield 4. I imagine the only reasoning behind playing such a formation would be to keep things tight, overcrowd the centre of the park and stop Raith getting balls into their strikers. You could argue that it worked for most of the game but other than Nish's chance that Campbell squared for him and a couple of long range efforts, you could also suggest that this formation is detrimental to our attack. If you're going to play with such a narrow midfield then you need your full-backs getting up and down the line all day, Linton offered that but Van Zanten doesn't and that gives the already unbalanced team, even more balancing problems. Substitutions were baffling, don't know why Nish stayed on. I'll probably get stick but Nish is such a frustrating player. He can't/doesn't want to jump half the time, looks for a free-kick every second challenge, can't hold the ball up at all and he should have scored, what the f**k was he waiting on/expecting Campbell to do with that ball? Give me Fleming and Campbell up there, both far more mobile and I'd fancy Garry to win more headers than Nish does.

Defensively, we're still totally shite. Let's not nullify our attack trying to resolve an issue that would be better put to bed by scoring more goals. It's served us well in this league and we have the players to suit that system. Take the clipboards and crazy formations and throw them in the Leven.

As for the other aspects of my day out, the Railway stand is a great place to watch the game. The way the seats are present quite a few tripping hazards but I like a bit of danger on the terracing. Stewards weren't arsed about us standing which was good to see. I, like others, decided that the steak pie was essential. I was stood behind Naught A Chance when the aforementioned bluff was called and it was a split second decision that had to be made. I was ready to about turn when I heard that there were no steak pies ready, only to be surprised when he opened the microwave about 3 seconds later to reveal 5 of them. Excellent, steak pie please mate. My first bite was lovely, nice and warm, good filling and I agree the crust held it well. My second bite into the centre of the pie was not so lovely. It became apparent that cooking times in Kircaldy are gauged by how soon someone asks for the food, rather than any sort of tried and tested time. A point noted for next time.

So in summary:

Dumbarton FC - Bad

Railway Stand - Good

Pies - Could do better

New away top - WHAT THE f**k WERE WE THINKING?

EDIT - Fucking hell, I didn't even mention the strip, thoughts added to the summary.

I wholly disappointing match but none of it surprising. Murray has evolved into the experimental football manager, trying out things for the sake of trying things out, just to see how it goes. Yesterday we lined up with our 3 central midfielders all playing and Mitch Megginson was thrown in there somewhere and I assume they were meant to resemble some sort of midfield, the shape of that I'm yet to figure out but it was clear it didn't work. We have two good wingers for this level in Mitch and Gilhaney, I find it madness that we're shoe-horning Kirkpatrick, Agnew and Turner into an extremely narrow midfield 4. I imagine the only reasoning behind playing such a formation would be to keep things tight, overcrowd the centre of the park and stop Raith getting balls into their strikers. You could argue that it worked for most of the game but other than Nish's chance that Campbell squared for him and a couple of long range efforts, you could also suggest that this formation is detrimental to our attack. If you're going to play with such a narrow midfield then you need your full-backs getting up and down the line all day, Linton offered that but Van Zanten doesn't and that gives the already unbalanced team, even more balancing problems. Substitutions were baffling, don't know why Nish stayed on. I'll probably get stick but Nish is such a frustrating player. He can't/doesn't want to jump half the time, looks for a free-kick every second challenge, can't hold the ball up at all and he should have scored, what the f**k was he waiting on/expecting Campbell to do with that ball? Give me Fleming and Campbell up there, both far more mobile and I'd fancy Garry to win more headers than Nish does.

Completely agree with the underlined bit. Actually wondered if you had read my thoughts during the match! Fleming and Campbell would be an ideal partnership imo.

Playing Kirkpatrick- an excellent centre attacking mid- on the wing and leaving Gilhaney- an excellent winger- on the bench made no sense at all.

Always next week, but hopefully he stops changing our style of play.

Love how Dumbarton had a man on the line for Conroy's freekick but still couldn't get anywhere near it, he'll do that for you! Good to see Nade taking his goal well too, I hear he was MOTM?

Love how Dumbarton had a man on the line for Conroy's freekick but still couldn't get anywhere near it, he'll do that for you! Good to see Nade taking his goal well too, I hear he was MOTM?

He did get MotM, but there could have been 3 or 4 other players that deserved it also( Stewart, Fox or Conroy)

it was a decent free kick, exactly where he meant to put it. Not in the corner but in no mans/both mans land between the goalie and defender. If they were there without the other it would ve been blocked. A clever free kick

To be fair I think the man on the line actually got in the way of the keeper.

Rogers looks like he pulls out of the dive due to Lintons presence which was a wise move to avoid seriously injury to either. Not to take away from what was an expertly taken free kick mind you.

Archived