Raith Rovers v Dumbarton

So we kick off the new season with a game that both teams will fancy taking all 3 points. There could be a couple of injury doubts for Sons and with our "friendly" against Clydebank coming up on Wednesday hopefully we won't pick up any more injuries. It will be interesting to see what Murray goes for, I don't think anyone has been impressed with our style so far but perhaps this will change now that we're into the serious stuff. There are only two things I hope we don't do, 1 being do not play Nish up front on his own and 2 being do not play Bryan Prunty in midfield. Archie Campbell deserves a start I feel, looked lively any time he's come on and I think a partnership of Nish or Fleming with Campbell will cause problems for teams.

Anyway, looking forward to going and delighted that we'll be in the railway stand at Starks, should give us a better view of the game. It'd be nice to win but opening day wins aren't really our thing, I'd settle for the point.

Prediction: Raith 2 - Dumbarton 2. Campbell and Megginson for Sons, Glen brace for Rovers.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

delighted that we'll be in the railway stand at Starks, should give us a better view of the game.

Whilst it would make sense I don't think it's been confirmed that it'll be used for small away supports - unless I've missed it. From what I'm led to believe the away section of the Railway Stand will be for overspill for the big 3 that come to Starks.

Whilst it would make sense I don't think it's been confirmed that it'll be used for small away supports - unless I've missed it. From what I'm led to believe the away section of the Railway Stand will be for overspill for the big 3 that come to Starks.

Ah right, the way I'd read it was that the Railway stand would be used for smaller supports meaning that the 3000 odd seater stand didn't need to be opened.

Ah right, the way I'd read it was that the Railway stand would be used for smaller supports meaning that the 3000 odd seater stand didn't need to be opened.

That's surely more cost efficient?

Campbell is definitely worth a start based on what we've seen so far and whilst I don't think Prunty will be in the midfield I'd like to see CT's fitness/mobility improve a bit. Just doesn't seem quite up to speed yet.

Can't say I've paid much attention to Raith's transfer business over the summer although that swine Nade is bound to cause us problems - again.

It's definitely a big enough section for most away supports this season. I'm sure I read somewhere there was some clause about the North Stand being used regularly as it's a sponsored stand.

The opening game of the league season always has that certain air of mystery about it. How will your team do? If it's a poor result will this be a portent for the coming season? Who will be the players to stand-out?

This will be my first game since 26th April 2014, when we lost at home to Cowdenbeath. My viewing pleasure in 2014, with regards to the Rovers of Raith, reads W0 D0 L5 - in words, utter shite. All these defeats were at Stark's Park.

I'm obviously hoping this rot stops against Dumbarton, even though Dumbarton gave us a thorough spanking on their last visit in April. I really don't want to hanker back to that turd of a season that was 2013/14 post Christmas, but it's always there like the log that won't flush away. We really need a few positive results early in 2014/15 season, to put last season to bed. By positive results, I mean not defeats, but a win would be gratefully accepted. Hopefully that happens on Saturday.

So we kick off the new season with a game that both teams will fancy taking all 3 points. There could be a couple of injury doubts for Sons and with our "friendly" against Clydebank coming up on Wednesday hopefully we won't pick up any more injuries. It will be interesting to see what Murray goes for, I don't think anyone has been impressed with our style so far but perhaps this will change now that we're into the serious stuff. There are only two things I hope we don't do, 1 being do not play Nish up front on his own and 2 being do not play Bryan Prunty in midfield. Archie Campbell deserves a start I feel, looked lively any time he's come on and I think a partnership of Nish or Fleming with Campbell will cause problems for teams.

Anyway, looking forward to going and delighted that we'll be in the railway stand at Starks, should give us a better view of the game. It'd be nice to win but opening day wins aren't really our thing, I'd settle for the point.

Prediction: Raith 2 - Dumbarton 2. Campbell and Megginson for Sons, Glen brace for Rovers.

didn't glen sign for livi?

I agree with Moonster that the two things we must not see a repeat of is Nish upfront on his own and Prunty in midfield. Hopefully after last Saturday Murray has realised that neither works. I'd actually like to see Fleming given a start ahead of Nish, but a hip injury sounds like something that could have him out for a while. Campbell is certainly deserving of a start after his performance at the weekend, and alongside Nish/Fleming could cause Raith a problem or two. As others mentioned after the Brechin game, Van Zanten was less than convincing at the weekend; perhaps Taggart should be given a chance instead?

Given that we haven't won an opening day league fixture since 2007 (ironically, our worst season in almost two decades), a draw would be perfectly fine.

It's definitely a big enough section for most away supports this season. I'm sure I read somewhere there was some clause about the North Stand being used regularly as it's a sponsored stand.

Surely it's easier to see the sponsorship from outside it? :)

I don't know for sure but I would be amazed if we were planning to open the North Stand if we don't need to.

As for the game, we won't keep a clean sheet so hopefully we score more than Sons do. I predict a sore start to the season. :(

It's my stag day/night on Saturday so we better fucking win!!!

In all seriousness I haven't a scooby how this game will go. We weren't any great shakes against Forfar and we've got Dunfermline tonight in the challenege cup. Hopefully we'll have Moon fit for Saturday but we'll more than likely be without Dougie Hill and Craig Barr (who haven't featured at all during pre-season). Line-up will probably be:

Cuthbert
McKeown
Perry
Watson
Thomson
Conroy
Fox (hope I'm wrong)
Scott
Stewart
Elliot
Nade

With Anderson, Vaughan, Moon, Callachan on the bench we've got decent personal to change the game if need be. Not that Murray will surprise us with any ambitious changes but hey ho.

Should be a good game for the neutal, if not overflowing with technical skills. Rovers-Dumbarton games have tended to be fairly open, high scoring games in the last two years....

In all seriousness though, we don't do winning before my birthday, and my birthday is near Christmas.

We do well in British summer time. When the clocks go back we turn to shite, so Raith win.

Archived