Hot Potato 2014/15

Over the Summer there's been a lot of debate on the promotion/relegation system, with people looking for ideas to make it more exciting. Here was my idea:

Keep 1 up 1 down down but instead of play-offs add a "hot potato" element to the league like so:

The biggest losers on the first day of the season get an "R" next to their name, and keep it until they win a game. The team they beat then gets the "R", and so on for 36 weeks. Whoever has it at the end of the last day of the season goes into a relegation play-off, no matter where they finish in the league.

It's like half league/half cup. Playing the team plagued with the "hot potato" would turn into the most exciting game of the season!

At the end of the season:

1st- promoted

2nd- promotion play-off

"R"- relegation play-off

10th- relegated

(If two or more teams share the worst result in week 1 the hot potato will go to whichever of the worst losers gets the worse result in week 2.

If 1st or 10th has the "R" at the end of the season the other teams just have to draw straws for it...)

This season I'll be watching the hot potato teams in each league over the course of the season and posting my findings on here.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

creative, but not sure it would work in practice

would like to watch this over the course of the season though

I sometimes wonder if the system they use in Major League sports in North America would work (since that's basically all that's on TV here) like there's no promotion/relegation from a division, but rather one big league, split in to conferences, then into divisions based on geographical location. Everyone plays everyone and then the top teams go into playoffs to crown the division champs, then conference champs and then the overall league champs.

then have a draft system for players, wherin the bottom team get the first pick of eligible players, second bottom gets second pick and so on...

There's obviously a lot of drawbacks to this method for Scottish football though, is it just me who wonders what this would be like?

Cant work.

You could have the possibility of the league winners losing their last game and inheriting the hot potato.

But then they wouldn't be the league winners if this was how the league worked!

How do you decide who gets the first hot potato this weekend?

Archived