Queens v Alloa

Whats your source for that bit?

Personally, Id like to see Russell finally moved up front. However, its unlikely to happen in this game with the number of players we have out

why move Russell uptops?? hes our best left winger in the team he creates a lot of chances from the left aswell. who would you play left hand side if Russell was upfront?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why move Russell uptops?? hes our best left winger in the team he creates a lot of chances from the left aswell. who would you play left hand side if Russell was upfront?

Why? Because he is a better forward than he is a winger. He gives us something that we dont really have up front, pace, and I think he'd score more goals than Reilly or Lyle and, possibly, Baird.

He is our best left winger, but does he really create "a lot of chances"? He scores goal from that position but I dont see him contributing an awful lot as a winger. Certainly nothing that he wouldnt also bring to the team as a striker.

Unfortunately, we dont really have any one else to play there. The problem is, the midfield is so lopsided. Burns, Carmichael, Kidd and Mitchell are all natural right sided players. We dont actually have a naturally left sided midfielder - arguably, Russell would be more effective as a winger on the right side. I said during the summer it would have been good to bring in a left sided player to provide competition and an alternative to Russell.

Paton would be the most obvious, as he played there under Johnston. I'd prefer him on the right, but switching Carmichael might be the answer. That would leave Kidd and Burns (when fit) to play on the right.

I realise it probably isnt going to happen, though, and Im not unhappy with a front two of Reilly and Baird. I just think Russell would be more effective up front

Agree entirely with Mr X.

I can see why folk wouldn't want Russell to move position; it's the "If it ain't broken..." argument, but for me I would love to see what damage he could do with a run up top. For LM I'd have Carmichael. Just a guess, but I thought Carmichael had played more games at LM for us than RM. In all honesty, I'd rather he played on the left as it would mean he would have to come back onto his right side to cross the ball in, which could result in him having to take someone on before he could get the ball crossed. That would also provide an opportunity for him to get further into the box meaning he could have a shot or increase the chance of him being clipped. Compared to him getting the ball at RM and swinging it in straight away I know which option I'd prefer. He's far more dangerous running at defenders and taking them on than he is with deliveries.

Ideally I'd like to see him on the left and Burns on the right, but I don't imagine I'll see it.

Fancy us to get a point in this one team seem to have gone pretty well through pre season and 4 goals in 2 games is good form from Spence hopefully he can keep it up through the start of the season and we can get off to a good start on Saturday.

Agree entirely with Mr X.

I can see why folk wouldn't want Russell to move position; it's the "If it ain't broken..." argument, but for me I would love to see what damage he could do with a run up top. For LM I'd have Carmichael. Just a guess, but I thought Carmichael had played more games at LM for us than RM. In all honesty, I'd rather he played on the left as it would mean he would have to come back onto his right side to cross the ball in, which could result in him having to take someone on before he could get the ball crossed. That would also provide an opportunity for him to get further into the box meaning he could have a shot or increase the chance of him being clipped. Compared to him getting the ball at RM and swinging it in straight away I know which option I'd prefer. He's far more dangerous running at defenders and taking them on than he is with deliveries.

Ideally I'd like to see him on the left and Burns on the right, but I don't imagine I'll see it.

Maybe Im old fashioned but I prefer wide players to play on the side of their favoured foot. The easiest thing for a wide player to do, should be, to get to the bye line and deliver a cross. They are the most dangerous crosses and to do it, the winger doesnt have to beat the defender just do enough to create half a yard of space to deliver the cross.

For me, one of the reasons Russell isnt that effective on the left - in terms of general play rather than goals - is that he is always cutting inside. Thats why I would rather see Danny on the right

Fancy us to get a point in this one team seem to have gone pretty well through pre season and 4 goals in 2 games is good form from Spence hopefully he can keep it up through the start of the season and we can get off to a good start on Saturday.

Although I agree with how well the team are looking etc. Have we actually played a team who could give us a good indication of what the league will be like? Maybe Northampton but that's about it. Confidence may be high but last season we never really did much against Queens either. As well as we have played look at who we have played. All League 2 bar Stirling and Northampton I think.

Maybe Im old fashioned but I prefer wide players to play on the side of their favoured foot. The easiest thing for a wide player to do, should be, to get to the bye line and deliver a cross. They are the most dangerous crosses and to do it, the winger doesnt have to beat the defender just do enough to create half a yard of space to deliver the cross.

For me, one of the reasons Russell isnt that effective on the left - in terms of general play rather than goals - is that he is always cutting inside. Thats why I would rather see Danny on the right

I don't disagree and that's really what I'm trying to get at. Ideally I'd like to see Danny at RM and ping balls in, but for me his distribution is pretty woeful. I know we aren't going to see top class at this level but I think his crossing is close to mediocre even for this league. Which is why I would prefer him on the left. He is easily more successful taking on a man than he is at swinging in dangerous deliveries, so with him being on the left the hope would be he cuts in and has a chance at a shot or laying the ball off for someone. Our chances of scoring would be higher I'd predict. He could of course do the same on the right but he'd likely be more inclined to cut in from the left. Harsh on him this week considering he swung a ball in for Russell at the weekend! Although that was along the ground (and offside!). My issue is with his high crosses which tend to be more like stupid dinks that either go behind or the GK takes them all day. I can't actually recall the last time (if at all) Danny swung in a high ball that that resulted in a goal.

On the topic of crosses, I thought some of McShane's corners were excellent at the weekend. One or two went too far but I'd certainly be happy to see him continue taking them even when Mitchell is back.

On the topic of crosses, I thought some of McShane's corners were excellent at the weekend. One or two went too far but I'd certainly be happy to see him continue taking them even when Mitchell is back.

There's nothing new there. McShane took corners from the left side reasonably often last season even when Mitchell was playing. He isnt quite as consistent in his delivery as Mitch but he is decent at them.

Although I agree with how well the team are looking etc. Have we actually played a team who could give us a good indication of what the league will be like? Maybe Northampton but that's about it. Confidence may be high but last season we never really did much against Queens either. As well as we have played look at who we have played. All League 2 bar Stirling and Northampton I think.

Can see your points too I suppose I'm just feeling some pre season optimism and hope lol.

Really looking forward to Saturday and the visit of Alloa. Its just the sort of game you would want to start the season.

We have 4 winnable games before the first real test away at Falkirk. :lol: .

I'm happy to have Beanie Russell play anywhere, I think he is effective playing wide and through the middle up front.

Home win. Queens 3 Alloa 1.

Where do Queen`s fans see themselves finishing in the league this season?

Realistically 5th or 6th. For the Cowden stalkers anything less than 1st would be a failure IMHO.

I pressume you envisage finishing above Cowden, Raith, Dumbarton, Livi and ourselves then?

Yes. Given last season's finish and additions to the squad I'd say QoS must be looking at finishing above the clubs you've mentioned.

Where do you see Alloa finishing?

If i had my optimistic head on, 8th. I do think this is optimistic though. Not seen a lot of pre season games, and alothough i believe we have now played 11 games since the end of last season and are yet to be beaten, as has been metioned before we`ve really still to play anyone of this league`s calibre.

I truly hope i`m proved wrong and we can consolidate a place outwith the bottom two though. The first half of last season was great for us and it makes my whole life more enjoyable i think.

Realistically 5th or 6th. For the Cowden stalkers anything less than 1st would be a failure IMHO.

I'd be a little disapointed with 6th, but if another team puts together a great run or has a fantastic season I wouldnt be too bothered. I'd like think we would be closer to challenging Falkirk for 4th than battling for 6th though.

Archived