Internet Speed

Romeo

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from my laptop which is connected via WiFi but speeds are still shiite! (Although they aren't far off the advertised speeds for ADSL in my area)

3752170651.png

And you'll note how crap speeds are in Australia in general when my result is greater than 56% of the country.

getting an upgrade with virginmedia on wed, to the big kahunna bundle, same TV package as i have just now (xl package) along with a 500gb TiVo box, same phone package (couldnt give a f**k) and a new superhub that seemingly will deliver up to 152mb of internet speed

im not daft enough to think i'll get the full whack, but what could i reasonably expect both through ethernet cable and from wifi connection?

Just switched from Talk Talk to EE and I'm getting slightly better speed - 3.7mb v 4.7mb, although still quite crap compared to most people it seems. But I'm also paying about £15 per month less, so that helps too.

Anyone have any idea why my internet cuts out when a train goes past the house? Will be watching Internet tv and it will suddenly cut out. Any solutions?

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere; the vibrations could be shoogling it enough to disrupt your broadband connection. Check whether your router drops the connection when the trains come by, or if it's just your TV that has the problem. Also, is the TV connection wired or wireless?

Did I use the word 'connection' enough times there? :P

It does after a couple of minutes.

Check your BT box junction that is inside your house from outside, you may have to use a screwdriver to tighten up the wired connection as it may become loose after years of use.

Option "B" which is most likely is that the free WIFI on the trains is interfering with your wireless signal causing drop outs as the signals clash in close proximity and using a wired connection from the router will solve your streaming problems. You can tell if it's the free WIFI on the train if a PC is wired straight into your router playing a live stream does not cut out as the train passes by.

Hope that's helps your problems and if it is the trains WIFI you may need to upgrade your wireless signal to a higher frequency like 2.4G to stop the stream from being interrupted.

Check your BT box junction that is inside your house from outside, you may have to use a screwdriver to tighten up the wired connection as it may become loose after years of use.

Option "B" which is most likely is that the free WIFI on the trains is interfering with your wireless signal causing drop outs as the signals clash in close proximity and using a wired connection from the router will solve your streaming problems. You can tell if it's the free WIFI on the train if a PC is wired straight into your router playing a live stream does not cut out as the train passes by.

Hope that's helps your problems and if it is the trains WIFI you may need to upgrade your wireless signal to a higher frequency like 2.4G to stop the stream from being interrupted.

Or just try a different channel?

Or just try a different channel?

Smart arse. :P

Might be cnut if the trains are using multiple channels on differing services. :rolleyes: Plus the signal strength from the trains is way way stronger than any home network signal and may just saturate the airways no matter what channel your on until the train reaches a certain distance from your home.

I only ever use a hard-wired connection because it's the dugs baws and don't get wifi problems ever. 8)

Has the OP asked his neighbours to find out if they have the same problem ?

Archived