Internet Speed

Romeo

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is getting shite speed on wifi versus ethernet, consider whether it might be due to your adapter.  I just upgraded mine and went from around 5mb this morning to 50mb just now.

On 09/12/2016 at 09:40, KnightswoodBear said:

Probably on an EO cable.  20Mbps is the most you'll get.  I was exactly the same, getting about 3Mbps until they upgraded me now I get about 17.  It's not "Infinity" as such but "Faster broadband".  They're installing fibre cabinets in the exchanges for the EO cables.

I live in Wemyss Bay and have an EO line but am getting 16/17mb.  Openreach's website say we are "in the plan" but that work has not started whereas I known that they have been here in force for weeks and have laid fibre everywhere.  I am hoping it becomes available soon!

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 23:33, G_Man1985 said:

Phone up your broadband provider and they could give you a timescale of when this could be available

My broadband provider is BT so phoning them takes and unnecessarily long chunk out of my remaining lifespan!  By the time I get an answer it will probably be available anyway!

PS:  The openreach site says the cabinet is connected now which is the second last stage before accepting orders.  It says typically fibre will be available within 3 months.

Openreach website is your best bet unless you're with Virgin to check what the status of your area is.

You can phone the likes of Bt, but they'll just tell you the exact same. There is instances where it says you can get fibre on the Openreach website but when you phone your provider, for whatever reason, you can't. You may have an old style line, it's been put offline due to high demand or its just not updated on the providers side of things.

Your best bet is to try on the providers site. I know for BT and Virgin at least, you need to run a check on your postcode and/or your landline number and that'll save you a 20 minute phone call.

Like it or not, every time you phone a provider you are phoning a sales advisor who is targeted on getting your business so rather than just saying you can get it or not they'll need to make an attempt at hooking you in for services.

• 2 weeks later...

If he has service with BT and wants to know about a line plan it would be customer service and they would do the leg work for him and give him a yes or no answer. Wouldn't take long to do either.
He wouldn't go anywhere near sales

That's expecting the phone routing service to work 100% which is never the case. Sales is the first point of contact.

If your,
A new customer
B existing customer looking for a new deal.

Enquiries such as, making sure hub is coming on a certain date or moving orders or checking to see what lines are available is customer service and so on.

When phoning in to BT is it that bad or hard to get to a customer service provider ?

It's not particularly hard but having worked in sales at BT a while back I know first hand the amount of these customers we've received and a few of my mates still do work there and it is the bane of their day.

No doubt it'll have improved since I was there but enquiries still tend to go to sales if they've not got a complete package so that they'll have the opportunity to add a product before getting their issue sorted with the relevant department.

How did you find sales ? Did you work in consumer?

Don't have a bad word to say about it. Cracking pay as far as call centres go. You got a bit of freedom to talk to customers.

The managers in that department at the time had their pros and cons but they were all pretty decent. Only thing I'd moan about was the hours which I wasn't a fan of and obviously went for a better job.

• 2 months later...

Maybe for the quick question thread:

How long should I wait for speeds to settle down on a new connection?

I moved from BT earlier on Monday to Origin Broadband, losing BT Sport but also shaving ~£25 on the monthly phone bill.

It's an ADSL line, I'm still waiting on fibre to the cabinet on my street.  With BT I had a reliable 6Mb connection for years.  So far with Origin, I get 5Mb+ in the mornings but when I get home at night it's more like 1.8-2Mb, On Wednesday evening it was more like 4.5Mb which I was happier with but last night it was back to under 2Mb.  The ping is constantly 'good' at around 55ms, which was par with BT if I remember correctly.

I had been with BT too long but my fear was losing a reliable connection.  Having any kind of videos constantly buffering is a PITA.

If anyone is getting shite speed on wifi versus ethernet, consider whether it might be due to your adapter.  I just upgraded mine and went from around 5mb this morning to 50mb just now.

Are you still getting these speeds or was it just the first few days fluctuations that I assume.

I was getting shite speeds with Virgin. I'm supposed to get up to 70mbps, but I was getting less than 10mbps. After several phone calls, few arguments, they agreed to send me out their new superhub 3. Not had a problem since.

12 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Maybe for the quick question thread:

How long should I wait for speeds to settle down on a new connection?

I moved from BT earlier on Monday to Origin Broadband, losing BT Sport but also shaving ~£25 on the monthly phone bill.

It's an ADSL line, I'm still waiting on fibre to the cabinet on my street.  With BT I had a reliable 6Mb connection for years.  So far with Origin, I get 5Mb+ in the mornings but when I get home at night it's more like 1.8-2Mb, On Wednesday evening it was more like 4.5Mb which I was happier with but last night it was back to under 2Mb.  The ping is constantly 'good' at around 55ms, which was par with BT if I remember correctly.

I had been with BT too long but my fear was losing a reliable connection.  Having any kind of videos constantly buffering is a PITA.

Sounds like you might be having contention/capacity issues. 

Keep checking your speed in the morning, or at another off peak time and in the evening, try and do it at as close to the same time as possible. If you get the same pattern - fast off peak, slower a peak times, then you'll basically be stuck with it unless Origin lose customers or upgrade their capacity in the exchange, or you get FTTC

If theres no pattern then its more likely just the line settling down.

45 minutes ago, Mr X said:

If you get the same pattern - fast off peak, slower a peak times, then you'll basically be stuck with it unless Origin lose customers or upgrade their capacity in the exchange, or you get FTTC

That's my fear, thanks for the info.

Just got hyperoptic to replace standard Sky broadband. Decided against shelling out for the 1GB/s service however as it seems like more than I'd need, so just got the 100mb/s. Superb so far, and cheaper than I was paying Sky. 

Unfortunately as far as Scotland goes it seems like you can hardly get it anywhere aside from my bit :smugface

Archived