mexico

wiganwell

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We stayed there back in 2007. Its a cracking hotel, was our first visit to Mexico and been back 2010 and this year. Also been to Dominican, Cuba and CApe Verde but Mexico is the best of the lot.

Huge, the size of a small town tbh. Three or four hotels making up the one large complex but you can use the fascilities in all and jump from each one via the tram/golf cart service. Food was really nice and plenty of choices although can be a bit mass produced in the buffet restaurants which is to be expected. We didnt really go to the pools much and spent most of our time down the beach for a bit more peace.

We dont have any kids but I think it would excellant place to go for kids as they really cater well for them with the entertainment/food unlimited ice cream etc. October is a great time to go aswell, as not too humid. We have been August(scorching but humid as hell), October (roasting hot less humid and a few rain showers) and February(perfect weather).

Its a fair jaunt from the airport about 2hrs and literally is right in the middle of the jungle so you will see plenty of wild life..... the iguanas run the show in the hotel. Hunners of them stoating about but not an issue and actually become the norm.

thnx mate really lookin forward to it..weve done the florida thing twice been vegas ..also eygpt greece turkey so we thought wed try somethin diffrent thnx for ur replies

There genuinely isn't much to do in the surrounding area..... haha google map the hotel, it really is in the middle of nowhere. But it is like a huge town.

Loads of cracking excursions tho if you want to go out like Xcaret and dolphin swimming etc. if you really want to go out Playacar is a decent town but is a fair journey/taxi ride away.

There's loads of different bars in the complex so you don't have to leave. Drinks good, not really your branded drinks per se loads of cocktails and beers good.

Tipping is optional, they take dollars or pesos. If your leaving dollars one or two dollars is equivalent to 20/40 pesos, leaving at your table is fine or tipping your bar man if your drinking is good as they can get the good stuff out if you top them well. But you don't have to tip every time and they don't expect it.

wife and kids really fancy doin the swim with dolphins really lookin forward to this hol..as went to eygpt last year and the food in hotel was mainly unedible ...cheers mate for the info

Sorry to crash the thread, Wellboy, what would take Mexico better than Cuba in your opinion? It's a toss up between them two for myself and a lady friend, no kids.

Are you basing on you as a family? Or is it just a nicer place?

Sorry mate just noticed this.

Cuba is a cracking holiday aswell but I would say Mexico would be better.

Cuba is ... for want of a better word.... older. Not as shiny and new, great atmosphere and for couples is excellant. But in my opinion there is loads more to do in Mexico and alot of the hotels are newer and more modernised.

For an old school Caribean experience Cuba is a great shout tho and wouldnt not recommend it but just feel Mexico edges it for the whole experience....

• 2 weeks later...

Mexico City and Oaxaca are the places to go. Never been but Cancun and around just sounds like Benidorm with a load of Yanks. Why pay more for the same, but without the Germans?

Thank God we aren't talking about Cancun then......

• 6 months later...

Pretty close to booking up on a group tour from Mexico City to Cancun, over 17 days. Any tips for Mexico City, I'm only my own for the first night before I meet up with the tour group.

Also, has anyone ever been to a Club America game at the Azteca? They're playing in the big Mexico City derby against Cruz Azul on the Saturday, think it would be a great opportunity to go to such an iconic stadium. How would one go about getting tickets? I've had a nosey on the club website, but there's no English option.

• 5 weeks later...

My first post :) I would recommend anyone going to riviera maya, Mexico, the gran bahia principe. Been twice, got engaged 2nd time and flying out 9th May this year for 3 weeks to get married there in hotel by the beach. 30 of us going over so will be amazing!

Excursions through thomas cook are brill although plenty of reputable excursion companies. Xcaret is just down the road.....massive Eco zoo park with snorkelling through caves and lots more. Also Chichen Itza (Mayan ruins) really interesting but quite long day with 2 hour journey there. Then on way back visited the cenote pools (natural fresh water pools) folk can jump in from a great height. Coco bongos in playa del Carmen (smaller than the cancun one) but brill night, pub crawl before it specifically for tourists so great laugh. Only downside of loving this place so much is when I do go somewhere else on holiday I will compare it to here and it will take a hell of a lot to beat it I think! If anyone wants to know anything before booking give me a shout:)

• 4 weeks later...

Had a fantastic time in Mexico. Probably the best Country I've eve visited actually. Some of the scenery was absolutely out of this world, I really hadn't expected it to be quite as stunning was it was.

Drunked craziness on a boat trip at the floating gardens of Xochimilco on the outskirts of Mexico City, Lucha Libre wrestling in Puebla, Teotihuacan historical site and the sink holes (Cenotes) at San Cristobal de las Casas were definitely my highlights of the trip. Just a shame to end it in such a highly tourist-orientated place as Playa del Carmen, which I was not a fan of at all.

Just got to think of where to go for my next trip now. Debating over Australia/New Zealand, China or Island hopping in Indonesia.

• 1 month later...

Visited Stewart travel today and been offered Cancun vs Cuba - 4nts Havana / 10nts Varadero both in September 2016, very little in it price wise.

I'm aware that September is bang in the middle of hurricane season, however having looked at the weather over the past 15 years it doesn't look like Cuba has been hit by many "big" ones but there is still a risk of a few days of crap weather.

Will only be two of us going, struggling to pick between the two. Have anyone stayed in Cancun or have you all been further south in Rivera Maya?

Archived