Picking holes in popular(ish) bands

Spain

On 8/2/2014 at 02:16, Spain said:

Sitting here watching some TITP highlights, Elbow were always rated as one of the underrated bands; so celebrated by the music circles but undervalued by the public. Is Guy Garvey's poor vocal ability one of the main reasons? I never really thought about it before, but during TITP his vocals really were the weak link in even their most popular song of "One day like this".

How many other bands have missed out due to a weakness or two in the band makeup?

The Brian Jonestown Massacre could have been massive if they didn't have a rotten, racist psycho for a lead singer.

Damon Albarn is a better all round musician than the Gallaghers put together but lost out a bit in the battle of the bands BS insisted on by the media.

I would like to see Noel try working with the Gorrilaz or trying something different. He can’t but is seen as some sort of genius for repeating two amazing albums twenty times.

I've never really understood how or why Snow Patrol made it massive.

Some of their early stuff like 100 Things You Should Have Done In Bed was decent - quite growly, sarcy tunes.

Then they seemed to vanish for a bit before coming back as a less interesting Travis.

But I suppose they're one of those bands that hit on a formula for success and just kept doing it (see also Travis, Kings Of Leon, Oasis, Elbow after TSSK).

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 22:06, D.A.F.C said:

Damon Albarn is a better all round musician than the Gallaghers put together but lost out a bit in the battle of the bands BS insisted on by the media.

I would like to see Noel try working with the Gorrilaz or trying something different. He can’t but is seen as some sort of genius for repeating two amazing albums twenty times.

To be fair, I think a lot of Noel Gallagher's latest album is a wee bit of a departure from the Oasis sound. 

Just now, paranoid android said:

To be fair, I think a lot of Noel Gallagher's latest album is a wee bit of a departure from the Oasis sound. 

I still really like Oasis and Noel but it was a bit sad for Blur how they were rated purely by idiotic media types appealing to neds. I think this is why oasis attracted nob heads. Blur were much more varied with their talent and the media treated them poorly.

For some reason certain bands just don’t quite fit the top slot at the time. The charlatans are another one. Talented, good songs and LPs but maybe overlooked because the image wasn’t quite right?

25 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I still really like Oasis and Noel but it was a bit sad for Blur how they were rated purely by idiotic media types appealing to neds. I think this is why oasis attracted nob heads. Blur were much more varied with their talent and the media treated them poorly.

For some reason certain bands just don’t quite fit the top slot at the time. The charlatans are another one. Talented, good songs and LPs but maybe overlooked because the image wasn’t quite right?

I always thought Blur were more musical, experimental, and Interesting than Oasis - I've recently found, though, that Oasis's tunes probably have better legs.

3 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I always thought Blur were more musical, experimental, and Interesting than Oasis - I've recently found, though, that Oasis's tunes probably have better legs.

Agreed, all their best tunes are proper classics.

• 3 weeks later...

Dave Grohl- great musician and seems like a good guy.  Good bunch of musicians around him.  They've stuck together for a long time.  Had huge amounts of successes.

I must really like about 3 songs.  The rest are really, really meh.  Also, I absolutely detest the production on most of their tracks.  It's like they've handed the masters over to a pop producer.  Guitars sound so weak. 

Edit- was typing as I was thinking- read the above post in a Captain Kirk stuttering style for much lols.

On 6/19/2018 at 23:32, SweeperDee said:

You literally wouldn’t have “Is This It” as an album if Julian wasn’t in the band.

If you haven't already you should listen to Albert Hammond Jrs solo stuff. It's better than anything Casablancas has released outside of the Strokes.

I think the songwriting process in that band was more shared than JC lets on, can he even play any instruments to a decent standard?

If you haven't already you should listen to Albert Hammond Jrs solo stuff. It's better than anything Casablancas has released outside of the Strokes.
I think the songwriting process in that band was more shared than JC lets on, can he even play any instruments to a decent standard?

Debatable. JC has some cracking solo tunes, and some of The Voidz stuff is actually pretty damn good. Albert has some great solo stuff as well, but I think he has the potential to bore you more than JC does.

And sorry but I don’t agree with that; watched a documentary/tour vid a while ago that talked a little about the process for Is This It, and the other band members basically just heaped praise on JC about how he carried the whole thing through.

On 19/06/2018 at 23:20, paranoid android said:

This. And it’s completly down to Albarns talent imo. Quite a tremendous diverse musical ability on the lad which is evident in his post Blur career.

Archived