Ad Lib

Mr Bairn

I've yet to meet a single person with anything positive to say about the odious House of Lords.

In terms of improving the quality of legislation, which is what they're there for, they actually do an excellent job. Their committees also tend to be far more insightful than either the Commons or Holyrood committees.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of improving the quality of legislation, which is what they're there for, they actually do an excellent job. Their committees also tend to be far more insightful than either the Commons or Holyrood committees.

Agreed - a very useful check and balance in the current system.

So an unelected, job for life, buy my vote, bunch of b*****ds can decide how the rest of us should live.

Would it not be far better for us to elect a second house.

It's called Democracy.

Would you say they are value for money?

I don't know how much they cost.

You could slim down the House of Lords considerably. That much is true.

And how do you pick the ones you want to keep.

Vote for them ?

What about the (I believe) 240 english bishops who are also there telling us how to live.

They are also untouchable.

Agreed - a very useful check and balance in the current system.

I don't have a massive problem with the House of Lords, it certainly doesn't rank very highly on the things that I would be desperate to change. I understand perfectly why many people view it as an anachronism, but I'm not particularly keen on any of the alternatives. I don't feel that having a fully-elected second chamber would be an improvement necessarily - although it could be interesting if it was elected on a fully PR basis. I still think the fact that members of the Lords don't need to seek election allows it act as a bulwark against populism. It's been a while since I studied politics, and I don't know if the comparison has been properly researched, but I've always thought of the HoL as being more like the US Supreme Court in many ways than the US Senate.

I think it goes without saying that it could be slimmed down, there's no need for the many hundreds of members that it has currently.

What about the next part of the post you quoted? Should we not have a democratically elected 2nd house?

The problem with democratically electing a 2nd house is that you will substantially increase the idiot percentage in it, therefore reducing their effectiveness.

There's a happy medium to be found though.

The problem with democratically electing a 2nd house is that you will substantially increase the idiot percentage in it, therefore reducing their effectiveness.

Have you ever watched the HoL on the telly/

Some people are far too obsessed with ideological dogma at the expense of how things work in reality.

Some people are far too obsessed with ideological dogma at the expense of how things work in reality.

Some people are pissed off with the current system and are certain things can be done better, fairer, more affordably and more suited to their needs.

I don't have a massive problem with the House of Lords, it certainly doesn't rank very highly on the things that I would be desperate to change. I understand perfectly why many people view it as an anachronism, but I'm not particularly keen on any of the alternatives. I don't feel that having a fully-elected second chamber would be an improvement necessarily - although it could be interesting if it was elected on a fully PR basis. I still think the fact that members of the Lords don't need to seek election allows it act as a bulwark against populism. It's been a while since I studied politics, and I don't know if the comparison has been properly researched, but I've always thought of the HoL as being more like the US Supreme Court in many ways than the US Senate.

I think it goes without saying that it could be slimmed down, there's no need for the many hundreds of members that it has currently.

I think there is scope for reform of the Lords. The question is what you want it to do. Do you want it to be a revising chamber or do you want it to be a pro-active means of policy generation. It could be used to represent the nations' interest in a federalised constitution if that's your thing.

I think it should be mainly elected (80% or so), but on a national or regional closed list system and with a small number of appointed non-aligned individuals along the lines of the cross-benchers and continue to do what it does now: revise, gather evidence and scrutinise, with occasional interferences into Commons politics. I think it should have a power of referral for legislation it believes to be structurally defective, requiring it to be reviewed by, e.g. the Law Commission.

I'm also of the view that Cabinet Ministers shouldn't have to be MPs though. They should be appointed by the Prime Minister (who should be an MP or directly elected like a President) but have a right of appearance and duties of office to appear before Parliament failing which they can be impeached.

Since the house of Lords is stuffed full of former MPs, and given how many of them were sent there to get them out of the way, or as a 'long service' award for sycophantic, anonymous toeing of the line, wouldn't that mean it already has a critical mass of idiocy?

Since the house of Lords is stuffed full of former MPs, and given how many of them were sent there to get them out of the way, or as a 'long service' award for sycophantic, anonymous toeing of the line, wouldn't that mean it already has a critical mass of idiocy?

He's already answered it by giving a YES to my question.

Archived