Ad Lib

Mr Bairn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you be more specific ?

It is unlikely that Nicholas Clegg will ask for another referendum on the voting system in the event that the 2015 General Election produces a hung Parliament with Labour as the largest party.

Too much uncertainty imo.

On a serious note the electoral system is a very strong reason for a Yes vote. FPTP is up there with the college system in the states as undemocratic as they come in modern societies.

How would independence change that? Holyrood doesn't use it anyway, and I can't see our vote on independence making any difference to the system Westminster would use post-Indy.

How would independence change that? Holyrood doesn't use it anyway, and I can't see our vote on independence making any difference to the system Westminster would use post-Indy.

Eh?

At the moment, Scotland is represented by a UK Parliament which is elected via FPTP. An independent Scotland would be represented solely by the Scottish Parliament, which is elected via a more proportional system. Therefore a wish to be governed by a fairer system is a perfectly reasonable argument in favour of independence.

Eh?

At the moment, Scotland is represented by a UK Parliament which is elected via FPTP. An independent Scotland would be represented solely by the Scottish Parliament, which is elected via a more proportional system. Therefore a wish to be governed by a fairer system is a perfectly reasonable argument in favour of independence.

It's still a system which allows parties with a minority of votes carte blanche to impose their policies on the majority who didn't vote for them.

True PR would be fairer but that would require politicians to behave like adults.

I think the Libdems have gone off PR since they've consistently gone under UKIP in the polls. Their campaign for the last PR referendum was the most inept and uninspiring in memory. That was supposed to be the deal clincher for sucking the Tory boaby, and it looked like they couldn't be arsed. Time they just disbanded, they've lost all credibility. I don't think even they know what they stand for any more.

If the next GE is a hung parliament with Labour as the largest party, would Clegg ask for another referendum on the voting system?

Surely Nick Clegg won't be leader after the next election. Biggest opportunity any Libdem leader has had and blown it bigtime.

It's still a system which allows parties with a minority of votes carte blanche to impose their policies on the majority who didn't vote for them.

True PR would be fairer but that would require politicians to behave like adults.

I'm aware of that, which is why I said "more proportional" rather than anything more explicit. The AMS is certainly an improvement on FPTP even if it can still produce slight anomalies (such as the SNP's current majority).

Surely Nick Clegg won't be leader after the next election. Biggest opportunity any Libdem leader has had and blown it bigtime.

What could he have done differently? I think he was doomed either way. The Lib Dems had the choice between coming an unpopular party of government (who couldn't achieve anything of note) or to look childish and stand against the work of government.

Clegg will lose his seat. One of the good things about FPTP is that the electorate CAN give their MP a right good kicking at times whereas some of us are stuck with a system where party apparatchicks are placed higher up a list system and they virtually have a job for life as long as they do whatever the leadership wants. There are flaws in any system of voting.

Clegg is a w****r anyway, I wont be sorry to see the back of that utter scrote and his arsehole party.

Clegg will lose his seat. One of the good things about FPTP is that the electorate CAN give their MP a right good kicking at times whereas some of us are stuck with a system where party apparatchicks are placed higher up a list system and they virtually have a job for life as long as they do whatever the leadership wants. There are flaws in any system of voting.

Clegg is a w****r anyway, I wont be sorry to see the back of that utter scrote and his arsehole party.

Spit it out man, what do you really think?

And whit aboot the hoose o' lords who have a job for life, hands oot for taxpayers money and ye canny get rid o' them.

Far better England pays for them instead o' us.

And whit aboot the hoose o' lords who have a job for life, hands oot for taxpayers money and ye canny get rid o' them.

Far better England pays for them instead o' us.

I've yet to meet a single person with anything positive to say about the odious House of Lords.

Archived