The Worlds Worst Pubs

The mad dog in dundee's hulltoon was run for a while by infamous psycho drug dealer gary m. He has tribal tatts on his puss. Good pub if you were rattling.

The central bar in town was a haven for jakies who'd been rejected by all the jakey pubs for being too smelly and pish stained. There was also a 55 year old hooker who's antics would make jeannie mckay blush.

You're kidding that that boy ever had the ability to run a pub. Jesus. He was up in court on Friday just there because he was incapable of completing community service (imposed because he was incapable of driving a car because he was so madly out of it). Bizarre

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Showing your age shippers, the palm tree was a looooooong time ago, before mine obviously :rolleyes:

Ah, the old grey funnel line. Six strapping men to a cabin and deck boys filled up with a tot.

200 men to sail a ship that 10 merch can. You lot give real sailors a bad name.

Sadly no longer here, but the wee social club at Woodhall Park, Port Glasgow Juniors; wall to wall formica, two three watt bulbs to provide that "cave look" lighting feature, an air of menance and patrons that would give the scene from cantina in Star Wars, a run for it's money.

I was in it once way back in the 1980s when I was a teenager, it was a fairly terrifying experience. It was the first place I'd ever seen a wide range of tonic wines on a gantry!

I'll give my vote to The Local on Kingston Street in Glasgow. Went in on way back to town after the semi at Ibrox in April as was bursting for a pish. What a fucking stinking hovel. I've been in some rough pubs in my time, but the smell in this place was utterly repulsive.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.421728,-2.981829,3a,75y,83.01h,85.21t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shrbLZ4MdIGkkEmkEldcIvQ!2e0?hl=en

Eagle Vaults, Liverpool. Stopped in on way back from Everton v Southampton at Goodison Park and it was truly awful. That was last year but must surely have shut down by now. All the other hovels I've been to have tended to be in Glasgow.

The laughingly named New Monaco on London Road - we made the mistake of going in there for one after a works do at the Inn on the Green. Truly insane place that looked on the verge of a wild-west style bar fight at 2pm.

If it was the "new" one I would have paid money to see the old Monaco...

newmonacobar-oct04.jpg

ETA - Honourable mentions to the Redan on Maryhill Road, a permanently condemned looking building which looked ready to sink under its own weight, and the Brothers in Possil - some great '80s footage from which can be found here. It's not changed much.

Cracking vid HoE... used to work in Possil and frequent the Brothers occasionally. Twas a sight to behold.

Although having said, despite wandering through the mean streets of Possil late at night, I was never subjected to any bother or mugging, unlike in the West End or the Toon.

Edit: Would have liked to see the lad's side, but an interesting vid ntl.

Reminds me of this video (there's two parts)

Bongo bar - Middlesbrough

Now there's a blast from the past. Its been shut for years that place but had to be seen to be believed. Its was the 'wrong' side of the railway tracks, meaning it was in St Hilda's which was Middlesbroughs notorious and very seedy red light district back in the day. Me and a few mates went down for a night out once and not knowing the lie of the land we ended up in there and it was an eye opener to say the least. The local working girls used to pop in for a quick drink and a drug fix on their 'breaks'.

I did not find a lot of this out till I worked in Boro a few years later by which time robocop was in full swing and the local police had the brilliant idea of bulldozing most of the estate and locating the Cleveland headquaters there.

Middlesbrough to this day is not lacking in incredibly bad pubs, to the point that the local Spoons is as good as it gets.

Other bad pubs in the North East would have to include Jacksons in Sunderland (think Rangers bar with added aggressive attitude) Knuckle dragging skinheads abound, the Metropole on Gateshead high street and my personal favourite the Star and Garter in Newcastle which is the sort of city centre bar that acts more as a drop in centre for the tramps and the desperate. Its the sort of place they will happily serve you a whiskey chaser at 9am in the morning and everybody inside has drunk more alcohol than would fill a bath since they last ever went near a bath.

Now there's a blast from the past. Its been shut for years that place but had to be seen to be believed. Its was the 'wrong' side of the railway tracks, meaning it was in St Hilda's which was Middlesbroughs notorious and very seedy red light district back in the day. Me and a few mates went down for a night out once and not knowing the lie of the land we ended up in there and it was an eye opener to say the least. The local working girls used to pop in for a quick drink and a drug fix on their 'breaks'.

I did not find a lot of this out till I worked in Boro a few years later by which time robocop was in full swing and the local police had the brilliant idea of bulldozing most of the estate and locating the Cleveland headquaters there.

Middlesbrough to this day is not lacking in incredibly bad pubs, to the point that the local Spoons is as good as it gets.

Other bad pubs in the North East would have to include Jacksons in Sunderland (think Rangers bar with added aggressive attitude) Knuckle dragging skinheads abound, the Metropole on Gateshead high street and my personal favourite the Star and Garter in Newcastle which is the sort of city centre bar that acts more as a drop in centre for the tramps and the desperate. Its the sort of place they will happily serve you a whiskey chaser at 9am in the morning and everybody inside has drunk more alcohol than would fill a bath since they last ever went near a bath.

You make that sound like a bad thing...

Cracking vid HoE... used to work in Possil and frequent the Brothers occasionally. Twas a sight to behold.

Although having said, despite wandering through the mean streets of Possil late at night, I was never subjected to any bother or mugging, unlike in the West End or the Toon.

Edit: Would have liked to see the lad's side, but an interesting vid ntl.

Reminds me of this video (there's two parts)

Saracen St's an experience right enough. Never felt particularly threatened there myself - a lot of the punters who hang around all hours there tend to be too out of it through one thing or another to cause much grief. The only slightly intimidating element is the wee knot of young team that seem to be constantly outside every offy or food shop, but I've got to say I've never had any hassle up that way.

On our way to the Scotland-Brazil friendly in London, we had to stop for a couple of hours in Birmingham to wait for a connecting train. We didn't want to sit in the rip off train station pubs, so just went to the nearest one to the station. It was in the middle of a predominantly Caribbean community, and to describe it as a shithole would be the biggest compliment the pub has ever received.

All of the windows bar one had been smashed, there were various buckets collecting water which was dripping from the roof, and the puggie machines were so old they didn't work. There was also an original Space Invaders game in the middle of the floor which had been unplugged.

When we entered the barmaid had just opened, and she told us to "wait a fucking minute" until she sorted her hair out. No draft lagers meant we each got a warm can of Stella (which was only £1.10) and sat down. She stuck on some pretty heavy metal music and the regulars all started pouring in. Each one was a skinhead who complained about the African market outside upon entering the bar. After our second can I went for a pish and was met with one of the locals who had the following conversation;

"Fucking jocks, you don't know how lucky you've got it without all the blacks in your country".

Absolutely horrible experience which has completely tainted my view of Birmingham.

Birmingham is actually a friendly city with some very good pubs and is one of our favourite away day stopovers. Looks like you just chose the wrong pub.

Sadly no longer here, but the wee social club at Woodhall Park, Port Glasgow Juniors; wall to wall formica, two three watt bulbs to provide that "cave look" lighting feature, an air of menance and patrons that would give the scene from cantina in Star Wars, a run for it's money.

Sounds a bit like St Rochs. A few years since I was there but can't imagine it's changed much.

Don't know the name of it but the boozer in the middle of 3 tower blocks beside Rutherglen Glencairns park takes some beating

Looks like the pub from shameless & the clientele are the same. Used the toilet & necked ma beer & got the hell out the place lol

Was that The Sportsmans? I was playing at Glens ground on Saturday and walked past it while it was still shut. The young team graffiti all over the beer garden and walls would probably be enough to keep me from going inside.

ETA - Honourable mentions to the Redan on Maryhill Road, a permanently condemned looking building which looked ready to sink under its own weight, and the Brothers in Possil - some great '80s footage from which can be found here. It's not changed much.

Jeezo. That takes me back. I remember seeing it when it was (I assume) first broadcast. That wasn't as far back as the 80s though - iirc, it was when I was a student and living in White St, making it '96 or '97. Given that 2 of them had already had children when the show was made, 10 or 11 years after that I was probably teaching some of those kids...

Was in the Redan a couple of times before it closed - it was run-down and depressed, but not really intimidating. The Kelvin Dock, just down the road from it, is a pretty basic-looking pub from the outside too, but is actually a very good local boozer.

Archived