The Worlds Worst Pubs

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There used to be a fairly decent one called The Gate in Kilmarnock which later closed down. It was subsequently reopened as The Cell which is ironically where most of the new regulars belonged. It was a drug fest, wall to wall neds and the toilets were constantly covered in vomit. It's now closed again surprisingly. I used to go from there to Kilmarnock's premier nightspot - Expo - famously once described by the Sunday Mail as the worst club in Scotland.

I'm sure I've been in ones just as bad but can't think just now.

Remember there was quite a few in South Philadephia.

They were all fucking dives that looked like Moe's Tavern crossed with the pub in Rocky.

Thankfully there's a not a bad sports bar next to Pat's/Geno's Cheesesteaks.

Me and a few mates did a working holiday year in New Zealand and on our first day in Auckland went into a pub called The Owl. It was immediately clear that it was a Rastafarian joint (pun intended) and we couldn't have looked more out of place if we tried.

The 30 or so Rastafari sitting about all just stared at us the whole time we were in, which was only for as long as it took to quickly neck a pint as fast as we could. Even the bartender just served us without a word and stood watching us drink it The white locals we spoke to later though it was hilarious we went in there.

Don't know the name of the place but I was in Tokyo a few years ago and entered a traditional looking izakaya in the Asakusa area. When I walked the whole place went quite and the barman just shook his head and pointed at the door. It's the only time I've ever been refused service in a pub due to racial prejudice...

Some of these sound quite dramatic! Mine's a wee bit more prosaic.

My nomination is for 'Maureen's (that's the informal name for it) on Islay.

Maureen inherited the place, and hated drinking! It was about the size of an en suite toilet, with peeling lino, and awful décor. Maureen herself would lean over the bar and actually watch you drinking with barely concealed disgust. The locals avoided it as much as possible. She actually gave me a row (loud tut, sigh, shake of the head and a sour comment) for ordering the 'wrong' drink, i.e. she had to reach up and get a pint glass for my 70 shilling. It was a test of nerve and character for people on their first visits to go and visit Maureen's.

I'm happy to say though, it's been bought over, done up and it's a great place to spend an evening these days. In fact I intend to spend a couple in there come the start of August! Quite possibly in the company of a prominent figure in Scottish football... ;)

Some of these sound quite dramatic! Mine's a wee bit more prosaic.

My nomination is for 'Maureen's (that's the informal name for it) on Islay.

Maureen inherited the place, and hated drinking! It was about the size of an en suite toilet, with peeling lino, and awful décor. Maureen herself would lean over the bar and actually watch you drinking with barely concealed disgust. The locals avoided it as much as possible. She actually gave me a row (loud tut, sigh, shake of the head and a sour comment) for ordering the 'wrong' drink, i.e. she had to reach up and get a pint glass for my 70 shilling. It was a test of nerve and character for people on their first visits to go and visit Maureen's.

I'm happy to say though, it's been bought over, done up and it's a great place to spend an evening these days. In fact I intend to spend a couple in there come the start of August! Quite possibly in the company of a prominent figure in Scottish football... ;)

I'm intrigued that you haven't actually named it properly. As far as I can see, there are 2 contenders:

One is in the south-west corner of the island, and the other is in Bowmore, but I thought it gave up the licence years ago.

Can you give us a clue...

Not been in many but once attempted The Grapes in Edinburgh but got told to leave as it's over 25s.

aye, a right jaikie's pub that one. A guy tried to turn it into a goth pub and called it "The Cauldron" for a while but it's gone back to its old name and its old clients i.e. pure scum. Unusual as the area round about (Southside) is not exactly the roughest part of town.

I've managed to avoid really rough pubs over the years- me and some mates passed the Crimson Star in Bridgetown walking back from this year's Cup Final and remarked how "lovely" it looked...

I'm sure I'll remember more but there was a house basically that had been (unofficially ??) turned into a bar in gibraltar about 98/99 that only served cans. Me and a mate stumbled into it one fine afternoon and being too stubborn to leave sat at the bar for a can or 3 before they had the courage to suggest we leave because we weren't 'locals'. I was talking about it recently which is why its fresh. I've generally found the worst bars to be in the UK, I've been to tin huts where people have been great,even shit kicker bars in the southern states of America where they've been welcoming (although I do possess that essential white face). My kind of nightmare bar is wanky George St. (Edinburgh) bars full of wannabe WAG's and young fuds full of coke and roids.

The Star Bar in Alloa

Jakeball heaven

As soon as I saw the thread title I instantly thought of The Star!

Footsteps crunching on the carpet, pint so sour it was practically chewy and I was refused service until after a horserace because one of the locals couldn't see the telly when folk stood at the bar.

Quality.

The Calderwood in Bonnyrigg.

This thread is now closed - thank you for driving carefully - now wash your hands.

Bonnyrigg has some great pubs!

The Calderwood once had a barmaid who paid someone to hide in the toilets overnight in order to get the bar manager sacked so as she could get the job.

The Anvil got shut down for having underagers on the premises. They were serving behind the bar!

Some years ago two brothers got beaten up in the Chase by the bouncers. The following week, the police station just around the corner from it got a 999 call saying that a major riot was taking place on the other side of the town. Once all the police were safely out of the way, a large team went into the pub and wrecked the place.

I don't know if any of you passing through Elgin have been into or even heard of the Midas, when you hear karaoke on a Monday at lunchtime and the women at the door look as if they've spawned from a cross of yogi bear and the big show it's a wise idea to keep walking.

And it's a fucking rangers pub

I'm intrigued that you haven't actually named it properly. As far as I can see, there are 2 contenders:

One is in the south-west corner of the island, and the other is in Bowmore, but I thought it gave up the licence years ago.

Can you give us a clue...

SW corner, chief. Now called An Tigh Seinnse, and smashing.

I don't know if any of you passing through Elgin have been into or even heard of the Midas, when you hear karaoke on a Monday at lunchtime and the women at the door look as if they've spawned from a cross of yogi bear and the big show it's a wise idea to keep walking.

Is that down near the toon centre? I think i went past it when we were there afew weeks ago and i wanted to go in for a beer

I would agree, do they still have a little sign saying they won moray or Elgin pub of the year 2008 or something like that.

The Ionic is not a great pub either.

Archived