Kevin Kyle

Andy Tod is not only a footballing God, but he is the Son of God. Full stop.

Can only agree with what's been said - total non-story and I thought it was ridiculous to see the Record run it as their front page yesterday. The man has started a job to support his family - just like millions of others.

How dare an ex professional footballer look for a respectable career outside football after his playing days!

Playing devils advocate here and it may sound harsh, yet if he hadn't blown his wages on the bookies, was more financially prudent and looked after himself a bit more (he was constantly out of shape for a professional footballer) then he wouldn't be forced to look for another career once his football days were over.

Playing devils advocate here and it may sound harsh, yet if he hadn't blown his wages on the bookies, was more financially prudent and looked after himself a bit more (he was constantly out of shape for a professional footballer) then he wouldn't be forced to look for another career once his football days were over.

I hardly think he cleared enough to sit back and do nowt, even if he did, it's his life, he'll have to answer to himself for the choices he made at some point.

I hardly think he cleared enough to sit back and do nowt, even if he did, it's his life, he'll have to answer to himself for the choices he made at some point.

No doubt he will have to answer for the choices he's made in life, although i would argue he already is.

Its a shame from a footballing perspective that the guy had a lot of promise at one point in his career, yet utterly wasted the opportunity that several people, including myself would have dreamed about.

As much as I don't like Kevin and god attitude towards his home town, a man trying to earn a pupils for his family isn't big news.

It is nice to read a headline with him not being bitter about Campbell Money giving him a knock back though.

I met Kevin a couple of times briefly when he played for Sunderland and he came across very well each time. He tends to split opinion among our fans but I liked him as he was the type of player who wore his heart on his sleeve and never shirked a challenge. He may not have been the greatest player we ever had but that was not for lack of effort and that's good enough for me.

The lad has obviously (by his own admission) had a few issues with gambling etc but hes trying to do what's best for his family and to be honest does not deserve the kind of publicity that article brings. We all make mistakes in life and its a learning curve for all of us. Good luck to the lad and if I ever bumped into him again i would happily buy him a beer.

As much as I don't like Kevin and god attitude towards his home town, a man trying to earn a pupils for his family isn't big news.

It is nice to read a headline with him not being bitter about Campbell Money giving him a knock back though.

What is the story there?

I've heard him make noises about wanting to beat Stranraer because they knocked him back as a youngster.

From what I remember of him back then, he was decent player, but nothing exceptional. Several others around him (like Jenkins) were expected to go much further. As I recall, the Sunderland thing came pretty much out of the blue and then Berti Vogts offered him early prominence.

As others are sensibly saying, the tone of the article is distasteful. Kyle has usually come across well on the likes of 'Off the Ball' and he doesn't deserve this kind of sneering for his honest endeavours.

It's a bit of an odd one as he signed for Ayr youths around the age of seventeen and then we let him go.

From there he joined Sunderland, so his youth career was rather unconventional to say the least. You'd have thought signing for Sunderland would supersede any previous disappointment, and he never seems to mention being released by Ayr in negative terms.

I wonder how often he did actually come out and say he hated Stranraer FC though.

• 2 weeks later...

As a sunderland fan, I. Have a lot of time for kev, he was way out of his depth in the premiership ( I think it was our 13 point season) but he always gave 100%. He was on about 5 grand a week at the time,but apparently had a gambling problem. Fair play to him for getting a job and not going down the sympathy (alcoholic ) like many others.

Archived